A-1 - Black Spire (can't get in... is it bugged?)

BLACK SPIRE

I looked on Avernum Hints and it said that you should go to the frescoes on the north wall and insert the Royal Seal there and then activate the gear mechanism next to the gate.

Well, I have the Royal Seal, and I've also completed Khoth's quest (return the Dragon Scroll, and he showed me a chant that theoretically allows me to bypass the wards). But every time I go to the frescoes, the game displays a message describing the frescoes, telling me that they're pretty, but useless. I don't have the option of saying the chant or inputting the Royal Seal.

Consequently, every time I try to activate the gate mechanism, I get damaged and nothing happens.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks Ishad! I couldn't get into that guy's tower the first time, until I started messing around and drank the pool water first. It's kinda weird how this quest is set up, because Khoth himself made no mention of needing to go up to see that guy, and he's the guy who made the barrier in the first place.