Mighty warrior in Nethergate: Original

I was reading through the walkthrough for N: O, and it mentioned that the Mighty Warrior trait added to chance to hit, by probably not to damage (although this hasn't been confirmed?).

I thought I'd test this out.

I scored twenty hits against a rat with a character with Mighty Warrior trait, and the same character without Mighty Warrior trait. Mighty Warrior adds a flat +15% chance to hit.

Just judging from the maximum and minimum damage for both sets (1-7 vs. 3-9), Mighty Warrior trait appears to increase damage by +2.

I then used standard error of the mean and a paired t test, which both demonstrated a statistically significant difference between the mean damage for both sets (a difference of +2.)

So yeah, I'd conclude that Mighty Warrior trait has essentially the same effects as a Warrior's Bracelet... +15% chance to hit, and +2 to damage. Probably not worth the 20% EXP penalty.

Who:

Quote:

But if you equip the Warrior's Bracelet and have the Mighty Warrior trait, the effect would double

So? The doubling of a neglible effect isn't noteworthy, especially when this doubling requires a significant reduction in XP gain. What difference does an extra 2 damage make when you're hitting for a hundred damage later in the game? You'd be much better off with the skill points to invest in Roman Training.

Just for thought, let's say the Warrior's Bracelet had an XP penalty of 20%. Would you equip it?

From what I've found, a lot of the beneficial traits in N: O have a neglible effect. I guess something is better than nothing, if you're getting these traits for free. But you're not.

Ah, but the question is ... is the XP penalty really that bad? If your character is gaining levels slower, they will gain fewer levels, meaning they gain more XP per monster (because they are at a lower lever) and therefore gain levels quicker. The net result, they gain XP at about the same rate one or two levels lower.

Now the question is ... is 15% and 2 damage worth 2 levels? Not so easy to answer.