Selkie Chief's skin as Celt

Hello -- I did the selkies' quest to return the pelts and have also accepted Gwyar's quest to bring her the pelt of the selkie chief. However, when conversing with the chief, none of the dialogue options allow me to anger the chief into fighting me. When I attack him unprompted, I am labeled "treacherous" by the game's commentary and feel bad. Is this a bug? Thanks!

I don't think it is a bug, there is no way to coax him into a fight that I found. Just attack him. After all, you are being treacherous, so the label shouldn't bother you that much.

Edit: A true celt wouldn't take the the pelt, I did that in my Roman game (still labeled as treacherous even then). Doing it as a Celt is fine, but you are called treacherous no matter what since you do have to swear to him you won't attack before entering no matter whose side you are on.

Edit Again: I'm pretty sure that it is not a bug, since that special note that you get about being treacherous was put in there because you are expected to attack the chief unprovoked. So hack away, you bloodthirsty barbarian!

But doesn't the eldest crone tell me to ask about her sister, who was supposedly slain by the selkie chief? This is the dialogue option that I'm looking for but doesn't seem to be there. Gwyar makes the appeal to justice, so there should be some way to justify what would otherwise be an act of treachery.

I think the hags tend to be hated by most species in Vale for trying to profit off of the other mystical races, so the selkie probably had a good reason for killing her. Still, you make a good point, but I myself have never found a way to justify the assassination in-game. It's not like killing him effects your reputation anywhere else, so I guess if it feels right to you, that is enough.

Thanks, Sleeping Dragon and Randomizer, for the responses. Morality is one of the interesting aspects of the game. It just seems as though something was dropped here, since the general style of the game (and of Jeff's games throughout) is to make the moral choices more explicit in the very frame of the play, rather than to situate it outside of the game's framework (in the player's private conscience). I'll accept this explanation, even while I still maintain that the elder crone's assertion of a past crime on the part of the selkie chief should allow for a dialogue option here. But again, thanks to both of you for taking the time to answer!

• 11 months later...

I played through that part as both Celt and Roman by now, and they get the same dialogue options regarding the supposed murder of the hag either way:

the Chief's side of the story, when you say "apparently this was all caused by your people killing one of their sisters," is that he takes a moment to think, and then says something to the effect of, "oh, so that was how it started. She came by here attempting to steal some of our herbal potions, and threw a fireball at us, so she was slain" (NOTICE: in order to get this option, you need to have spoken to the hags before talking to the Chief).

So that makes it a matter of one person's word against another's. Although the cold facts of the matter, is you get better stuff if you kill the hags instead. <<