Tool Use & Herbcraft

Thanks for the fast response, Tyranicus. I should have specified I was playing as a Celt using a PC. Back to "Herbcraft", since it is classified as a "Skill" with a level I used the Character Editor to artificially leverage it all the way up to "24"! It still does not show up under the Useful Skill section nor does anything else remotely resembling anything like it.

Question-how high does it have to be?

Question-what is it called when "it" appears? ie how will I regognize that I do have "it"?

Just took another look at "help" and it looks like I've got to buy the ability "make potion" before I can go any further? If I'm wrong please let me know.....

Herbcraft of 8 will get you most useful potions. It allows you to turn herb ingredients into potions. Not needed, but helpful for making lots of potions for healing and replacing spell energy later in the game. Mostly you use it for the long dungeons where you can't go back to rest.

Herbcraft should appear as herbcraft near the bottom of your skill list near luck. You may need to move the list up and down by using the cursor along the right side when you start getting too many skills. You can't see all the skills and abilities at once so it's easy to miss in the middle of the game.

No, you need to have the minimum level in herbcraft and the required ingredients to make a potion using the action button "u" for use ability and then "a" for make potion when in a town or dungeon. I had forgotten that step and where the make potion was located.

Avernum/Exile 1-3 had potion making as alchemy, but that was dropped by Avernum 4 so you had to seek out alchemists.

OK, I've got all the ingrediants and I know now how to make potions but I still have one roadblock. How do I get the "make potion window" display more than just the basic healing potion? It would be nice to make a few energy potions as well. My herbcraft level is more than enough and I have enough herbs so.....?

Took another look at the help screen and see that it says "the character with the highest potion making skill..." will make the potion so I only have to buy this skill for one of my Team. This skill is not listed on my characters' data screens so I can't use the character editor to "adjust" it. Any hints on where to buy it?

Thanks, Tyranicus, I revisited the Hall and found recipe for Strength in the last of a row of three racks in the extreme n/w corner of the basement. Then I found a secret room off of the south wall of the first room, containing one rack with the recipe for Haste...but no Energy? Anyway, I'm two recipes up from when I started this thread, and that's a good thing! and now I know how to make potions!

Save starting a new thread, is there anything interestig in the room in almost dead centre of the north wall of the basement? On the automap it has a blue floor with a firey cross in the centre and you can see a pedestal against the far wall. Trouble is, it's blocked by a locked metal gate. I'm assuming it takes a numbered key(?) know the number?