• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic
Agitproprioception Agitproprioception

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:18 AM #71 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I remember being able to use both types of cave floor in BoE from its initial release.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:03 AM #72 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Whereas I have not seen green cave floor anywhere in BoE (and that includes in the form of an option), except for some scenarios that brought it back.
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:12 AM #73 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Well, it's possible that I'm wrong.  You have definitely spent more time with BoE lately.  I really thought that's how it was, though.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

Mistb0rn Mistb0rn

Shaman

• Member ID: 5,995
  • 371 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:54 PM #74 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I've never seen that option that I recall - I just changed my personal graphics sheets to use the E3 graphics.  

As a long-time fan of the blue graphics set, I would be all for including a toggle for graphics in the new versions of BoE, (even if it means I need to convert all the old scenarios' graphics from grey cave for it to happen,) if anyone's willing to program the thing. :-)

~Mistb0rn

Harehunter Harehunter

Cartographer

• Member ID: 6,587
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationThe Lone Star State

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:52 AM #75 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I have uploaded the BoE_Graphics sets that I have for BoE. I will have to dig through my archives to see who initially posted the blue graphics set, but I will post it to my site when I do.

The way to install it is to simply unzip the files into the BLADEXIL\BLSCENED directory. This creates two new subdirectories; blue_bmp and grey_bmp. To change the graphics, simply copy the files from the desired graphics set to the BLADEXIL\BLADSCEN directory and voila!

I don't have a set for the Mac. If anyone knows of a good converter, if they have one and want to publish a set, let me know.
Lepus Temperamentalis non-gratus
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it
Visit Harehunter's Haven. Hint books for Exile 1-3 are now online.
Check out my BoE Scenario Editor and Graphics Library.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:09 AM #76 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Originally Posted By: Mistb0rn
As a long-time fan of the blue graphics set, I would be all for including a toggle for graphics in the new versions of BoE, (even if it means I need to convert all the old scenarios' graphics from grey cave for it to happen,) if anyone's willing to program the thing. :-)
I guess I'll consider it. No promises though.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
I don't have a set for the Mac. If anyone knows of a good converter, if they have one and want to publish a set, let me know.
I believe I made a set for Mac. Maybe I'll upload that later. A Windows-Mac conversion of what you have would not be straightforward, since Mac refers to the images by numbers while Windows gives each one a unique name. (Though I think it still refers to them by numbers internally.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

AndyLandy AndyLandy

Citizen

• Member ID: 422
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:05 AM #77 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Here's a history of the relevant releases of all the games:

(#1) Exile v1.0, brief release with only 1 AP per character per round - gray cave floor - no music included
(#2) Exile v1.x, characters now have 4 AP per round and a few icons and graphics were added - still gray cave floor - still no music included
(#3) Exile II v1.0, same basic graphics set with some additions mostly for the Vahnatai - gray cave floor - (awesome) music included
(#4) Exile III, completely new graphics set - neon turquoise cave floor - no music included
(#5) Exile v2.0, original graphics set swapped out for Exile 3 graphics - neon turquoise cave floor - also adds (Bach) music included
(#6) Exile II v2.0, original graphics set swapped out for Exile 3 graphics - neon turquoise cave floor - same (awesome) music included
(#7) Blades of Exile, uses Exile 3 graphics with some additions - includes gray cave floor? - no music included

I've got three versions of Exile for the Mac. Two old ones with different graphics but neither has the AP stuff yet. The later version (2.0) which came on my Trilogy CD-ROM has the even-newer-still E3 graphics set and the AP stuff added in. There are a couple of cute bugs in the game where special encounters say stuff like "There is a pool in the middle of the red tiled floor" even though the tiles are white in the new graphics set.

It's a shame that Jeff didn't backport the dialog mechanism from E3 to the earlier games, it always felt far more elegant than the E1/2 system of 'name', 'job' 'type pertinent word' a few times, guess one wrong, forget what you were saying and go back to 'job' and start over.

I'd love for someone to upload the earlier Mac versions of E1 and E2. The shareware demos should be free to distribute and I can drop in the registration keys from my Trilogy CD-ROM. If I can find the original Macworld cover CDs, I'll try and upload 'em myself somewhere.
--
Andrew Landells

Harehunter Harehunter

Cartographer

• 1,575 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:26 AM #78 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

It would be interesting to know the actual release dates of each version.  That would include separate dates for Mac and PC.  I suppose that the 'modified' date of the executable would be a reliable marker.

For the PC versions I have:
Jul 10, 1995 - Exile   V1.0.3
Apr 26, 1996 - Exile 2 V1.0.2
Jan 17, 1997 - Exile   V2.0
Mar 11, 1997 - Exile 2 V2.0.1
Apr 17, 1997 - Exile 3 V1.0
Mar 01, 1998 - BoE     V1.0

Obviously I am missing Exile 1 V1.
I found the first version of Exile 1 on Gizmo's site True Site for Blades. And yep it does have the original gray terrain.

Kittywacker Kittywacker

New Arrival

• Member ID: 8,116
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:34 PM #79 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I am having troubles getting the original Exile trilogy to run on my windows 7 64-bit system, I Had to go out and spend $20 on an outdated laptop specifically to play those games.  I have been enjoying them for about 10 years now.  I replay them about once a year now.

Trenton. Trenton.

Eye of Avadon

• Member ID: 7,180
  • 2,623 posts
  • LocationRiften

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:37 PM #80 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

MAJOR RESURRECTION.

Anywho, are you saying that your still having trouble, or if you got a new computer and that fixed it?
-~-Finished SW games-~-
(all demos for all games), Exile III: Ruined World, Avernum IV, Geneforge 4+5+3
-~-Games that have a current play through-~-
Geneforge 2, Avernum: CS, Avernum 5
-~-Owned Games yet to have a started playthrough-~-
Geneforge 1, Avernum VI, Avernum: EFtP Nethergate

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:59 PM #81 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Exile was written back in the days of Windows 3 so you just haven't set your computer right.  Try using DOSBox.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:14 PM #82 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I think Windows 95 may have been out by the time Jeff wrote a PC version of Exile.

Harehunter Harehunter

Cartographer

• 1,575 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:34 AM #83 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

The DOSBox solution works great.   Here's how.

There is also a way to install Win95/Win98 on DOSBox, but I haven't tried it.

Bleedinbob Bleedinbob

New Arrival

• Member ID: 8,287
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:54 PM #84 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Hmmmm cannot download exile 2...

Sorry, the file you requested is not available.

Possible reasons include:

- File date limit has expired.
- File was not successfully uploaded.

Trenton. Trenton.

Eye of Avadon

• Member ID: 7,180
  • 2,623 posts
  • LocationRiften

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:27 AM #85 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Perhaps you already have it downloaded, or maybe you need to try again. If neither of those you should probobly get a new computer >.>
-~-Finished SW games-~-
(all demos for all games), Exile III: Ruined World, Avernum IV, Geneforge 4+5+3
-~-Games that have a current play through-~-
Geneforge 2, Avernum: CS, Avernum 5
-~-Owned Games yet to have a started playthrough-~-
Geneforge 1, Avernum VI, Avernum: EFtP Nethergate

Harehunter Harehunter

Cartographer

• 1,575 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:53 AM #86 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I just downloaded it from Spiderwebs site   Exile 2 page.

Particlular Man Particlular Man

Alorael

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 276
  • 22,116 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:16 AM #87 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Trenton, the problem Bleedinbob is pointing out is inability to download. That's much more likely to be on the side of the server.

Harehunter, pay attention to the thread. This is someone trying to download the old version.

—Alorael, who could download something from the site. He's not at all sure it was the right thing, and he suspects that the original upload expired. Can anyone upload yet another copy of the original E1 and E2?

Karoka Karoka

Shaman

• Member ID: 7,420
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:11 AM #88 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

What's the difference between the old and new versions besides the graphics?
I like pie. 'Nuff said.

Particlular Man Particlular Man

Alorael

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 276
  • 22,116 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:36 PM #89 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

That's the difference between 1.x and 2.0. I know the earliest version of E1 didn't have an action point system, so you got one movement or attack per turn, twice that for haste, and actions only on every other round for being slowed.

[Edit: Slarty said it already here:]
Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Here's a history of the relevant releases of all the games:

(#1) Exile v1.0, brief release with only 1 AP per character per round - gray cave floor - no music included
(#2) Exile v1.x, characters now have 4 AP per round and a few icons and graphics were added - still gray cave floor - still no music included
(#3) Exile II v1.0, same basic graphics set with some additions mostly for the Vahnatai - gray cave floor - (awesome) music included
(#4) Exile III, completely new graphics set - neon turquoise cave floor - no music included
(#5) Exile v2.0, original graphics set swapped out for Exile 3 graphics - neon turquoise cave floor - also adds (Bach) music included
(#6) Exile II v2.0, original graphics set swapped out for Exile 3 graphics - neon turquoise cave floor - same (awesome) music included
(#7) Blades of Exile, uses Exile 3 graphics with some additions - includes gray cave floor? - no music included

—Alorael, who was actually taken aback when AP first appeared. Ranged attacks, especially spells, are very powerful when it takes so long to close with enemies.

PandaL PandaL

New Arrival

• Member ID: 8,382
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:28 PM #90 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Just a quick look the old Exile BMP files, the new MONST2.BMP contains two more monsters than the old one. Now I wonder if it is safe to replace the BMPs with the old ones.

Actually I think the old monster and character icons look better, probably because of the dark outline.

icedan77 icedan77

Citizen

• Member ID: 8,315
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:15 AM #91 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

they changed a lot in E1 I had the demo and it was with 4 moves a round but the chars monsters and caves were all dif the floor was brown best I rember and I liked the monsters better then what it is now bc they were easy to see I have ran into a band of them more than one time and never saw them!
RPG gamer stuck in a FPS world

SiriusX SiriusX

New Arrival

• Member ID: 8,571
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:45 AM #92 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Does anyone have to old graphics? I got attached to them when I was a kid, and I don't have the 1000 games for windows cd so I cant download the old version ):

Harehunter Harehunter

Cartographer

• 1,575 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:14 PM #93 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I have uploaded a zip file for each of them on my website.

Harehunter's Exile 1 page.
Click on the download link.

Harehunter's Exile 2 page.
Click on the download link.

These are un-registered copies.  If you have a registered copy of Ver.1, you can copy the MISC.DAT file into the unzipped folder, or you can contact Spiderweb Software.
Another option is to just copy the bitmaps into folder with the Ver.2 engine and play it that way.

SiriusX SiriusX

New Arrival

• Member ID: 8,571
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:13 PM #94 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Thankyou alot! I use to have the terrain file but not the animation terraing file. Eventually I lost the terrain and couldn't find it anymore, thanks again. Now I just need to get this on my virtual Windows XP.

lhomaz lhomaz

New Arrival

• Member ID: 8,729
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:56 AM #95 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Seems the links are not longer available - would someone kindly share Exile 2 original graphics version? :-) *For mac!*

Harehunter Harehunter

Cartographer

• 1,575 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:02 AM #96 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I keep having trouble with case sensitivity.  If not that, then for some reason links to objects other that html pages don't work well unless you are linking from one of my pages already uploaded.

lhomaz lhomaz

New Arrival

• 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:41 AM #97 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Hi - the links are fine, but these are PC versions - I'm looking for Mac versions of Exile II, or just the graphics file (if it is possible to use it that way). Cheers.

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,537 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:58 PM #98 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

The Mac versions will work only on an old Mac (PPC processor) running an old operating system (OS X 10.4 or earlier)
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:37 AM #99 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

You could get the Windows versions and run them under WINE.

lhomaz lhomaz

New Arrival

• 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:57 AM #100 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I have no trouble running it. I'm just looking for the old version (old graphics, mac) for nostalgic reasons.

DeKaFu DeKaFu

New Arrival

• Member ID: 9,279
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:00 AM #101 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

To Harehunter:
Thank you so much for uploading these! I've been literally searching for the old graphics for years but gave up a long time ago because nobody ever seemed to know what I was talking about.

For other people: The graphics (in Exile 1 and 2 windows at least) are just stored as plain bmps and are incredibly easy to edit, so you should be able to easily move them to the version of the game you prefer. I used to have fun messing around and editing in all sorts of different PC graphics... My sister once had a party that included a housecat, a lizard, a cow and a giant mushroom.

Harehunter Harehunter

Cartographer

• 1,575 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:01 AM #102 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

You're quite welcome.  Your concept of alternate PC graphics is very intriguing.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:50 AM #103 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Welcome to Spierweb Software.  I guess it's too late to ask you to leave your sanity at the door.  smile
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Mr_Flibble Mr_Flibble

New Arrival

• Member ID: 12,079
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:58 AM #104 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I've dug up a few Windows shareware versions of Exile and Exile II, here you go:

Exile: Escape from the Pit
Exile II: Crystal Souls

gem helper gem helper

Crystal Wifes

• Member ID: 13,405
  • 49 posts
  • LocationYES!

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:35 PM #105 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

This is sort of a big bump, but is there any kind of changelog for the versions Mr Flibble posted? I've been digging through them a little bit and there's some epochal stuff (the interface in Exile 1.01 was heinously crude, and a few sound effects are inexplicably clipped or compressed) but also a lot of minor stuff (Exile 1.01's graphics are significantly different than Exile 1.12's, but both are Shirley Monroe's handiwork and the changes seem to represent a sweeping if subtle change that would persist through Exile 2).
I've been digging through them myself to form my own conclusions but I'm not all that technical and it's sort of a hassle to install them on a virtual machine one by one.
ʏᴏᴜ ᴡɪʟʟ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʙᴇ ʜᴏᴍᴇ ᴀɢᴀɪɴ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users