122 replies to this topic
Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,844 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:44 AM #36 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

The download links in the original post seem to be down, so directing people to them is no longer helpful.

Nicholas Nicholas

Citizen

• Member ID: 6,159
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:52 PM #37 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

i use windows

the cave floor graphic looked like gray with white spots.

Sirath The Destroyer Sirath The Destroyer

Citizen

• Member ID: 6,536
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:38 AM #38 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Well just   click here  click here i think i found it wink

Qualicide Qualicide

Monitor

• Member ID: 1,354
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:52 PM #39 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I was hoping Exile 1 still had the music with it, but it does not seem to.  I always liked that version of the little fugue.

Felicerates Felicerates

Alorael

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 276
  • 22,116 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:41 PM #40 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

The music is still available thanks to Tyran's hard work.

—Alorael, who isn't all that fond of it. Bach loses some of his majesty in MIDI.

Qualicide Qualicide

Monitor

• Member ID: 1,354
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:10 AM #41 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Playing these brings back memories.. of having to e-mail jeff for new codes every time I had to re-download the games.

The Knight Who Said Ni The Knight Who Said Ni

Soldier

• Member ID: 5,766
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:55 AM #42 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Wait, I started playing when Exile 3 came out. The I went back and played Exile 1 and 2. What differences are there?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
        Albert Einstein

Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast.
Douglas Adams

Do you like the original Exile series? Yes? Good. That means your life will be spared in the Indie Games Armageddon.

Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:53 PM #43 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Graphics. Apparently Exile 1 and 2 had really terrible graphics... but after Exile 3 came out, its graphics were applied to Exile 1 and 2.
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Agitproprioception Agitproprioception

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:38 PM #44 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Exile 1 and 2 did not have "really terrible graphics."  Exile 3's graphics were shinier and glossier and more varied, and some of Exile's original graphics were crude.  However, they did a perfectly good job at creating the atmosphere of Exile.  So if you happen to prefer graphics that are less shiny and less glossy -- or just if you prefer caves that are light grey and not neon turquoise -- there is reason to play with the original graphics.  At least a few people here, myself included, prefer them to any other graphics set SW has used.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:14 PM #45 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I happen to like green, mossy floors, but perhaps that's just me...

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Jean-Philippe Jean-Philippe

Citizen

• Member ID: 6,874
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:29 AM #46 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I liked Exile 2 original graphics, but those of exile 1 were a bit too dark for my taste. Exile 2 was the first game I played and I loved it , must have finished it at least 4 time, versus only 2 for exile 1 and 3.
The first copy of Exile 1 I found, was the old 1 AP version. As I was used to Exile 2, combats were tediouuuuus and damaging spells (fireball, fire and wound) more important.

Navarre Navarre

New Arrival

• Member ID: 6,922
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:14 AM #47 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

First off, I'd like to thank the creator of this thread for posting this. The Exile series is something that has been a part of my gaming life for many years and the chance to re-experience the original versions was something I jumped at quite eagerly.

However, while I was able to download Exile 1, the link to Exile 2 is no longer valid.

Is there anyone kind enough to upload it somewhere so that I can get a copy of it? I've been searching for the last hour on Abandonware websites and so forth in an attempt to find it, but thus far I've been without luck in the matter.

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,773
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:37 AM #48 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

This link was fixed recently or you are having trouble with an ftp download. Both Mac and Windows versions downloaded properly for me. You seem to have a browser problem, security settings?
ftp://ftp.spidweb.com/win/exl2v201.exe

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:40 PM #49 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Um, Exile isn't abandonware, so you shouldn't be able to find it on sites that host abandonware...

Felicerates Felicerates

Alorael

• Administrator
  • 22,116 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:51 PM #50 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

You could make a very weird and nitpicky argument about the old version being abandonware. In any case, I don't think Jeff is going to complain about someone else hosting his game, even an old version, as long as it's still just the demo.

—Alorael, who supposes Exile as a concept has also been abandoned in favor of Avernum. And Exile is about being abandoned by the surface to your subterranean fate. And that's enough.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:17 AM #51 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Abandonware sites typically host full versions, though admittedly that might be a bit hard for the Mac version of Exile. Usually they don't host games that are still sold, though. So, while the Exile demo might be obtainable somewhere on the Internet, abandonware sites are probably not the ideal place to look.

PGLB PGLB

Mercenary

• Member ID: 3,248
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:09 AM #52 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I still have both of the original Exile games with the old graphics on a CD.
If somebody can provide me with a reliable uploading location that doesn't expire after a month or something, I'll put them up for download.

The version of Exile I have is V1.0.3, which means it doesn't have the 1 AP system, but it still has the old graphics.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:20 AM #53 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

There are a few people here who have reliable hosting, such as Jewels or Arancaytar. They may be willing to host earlier versions of the game.

Just make sure you give them an unregistered copy.

Unrulyevil5 Unrulyevil5

Citizen

• Member ID: 6,116
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:16 PM #54 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

This thread has been going on after nearly 2 years

Balladeer Balladeer

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,131
  • 1,687 posts
  • LocationBeyond Belief

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:26 AM #55 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Indeed, I have much space available.

PGLB PGLB

Mercenary

• Member ID: 3,248
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:49 PM #56 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I've sent them to Jewels.

I should probably mention that these are the Windows versions. I still have the original "Over 1000 Games" CD that I found them on.

Balladeer Balladeer

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,131
  • 1,687 posts
  • LocationBeyond Belief

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:49 PM #57 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

They are up, along with a much needed update to the site.

I should probably mention that they are Windows versions, too... *goes to make one more update*

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:03 PM #58 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I believe there were two sets of "old" graphics in the old version of Exile 1; the second, slightly updated set came in with the 4 AP system.

Not 100% sure about this, but that's how I remember it.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
  • 19,844 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:40 PM #59 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Not quite. Exile 1.0 had the old graphics and no AP system, Exile 1.1 had the old graphics but an AP system, and Exile 2.0 had the new graphics.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:51 PM #60 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Yes, of course -- that isn't what I'm saying.  I'm saying there were two sets of old graphics BEFORE the Exile III style, 2.0 graphics.  One was introduced fairly quickly, I think around the same time of the 4 AP update.  IIRC, the oldest graphics set had fewer and cruder PC icons to choose from.

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
  • 19,844 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:31 PM #61 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

sorry, antidepressants are making my brains go sleepy-bye today

i don't remember more than one set of old graphics though

Felicerates Felicerates

Alorael

• Administrator
  • 22,116 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:45 PM #62 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I'm fairly sure there were two different ones, though. I don't have evidence, but I remember thinking that there was a sequel when I recommended E1 to a friend and he got a version with AP and... different looking pillars, maybe?

—Alorael, who would be surprised if there weren't a facelift. E1 and E2 got E3's graphics, but E1 could have gotten E2's graphics on the way, or at least some halfway version thereof.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:27 PM #63 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

No, there was definitely an E1 graphics upgrade very early on, way before E2.

RosenVitae RosenVitae

New Arrival

• Member ID: 7,502
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:11 PM #64 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Thankyou, Ulf, for posting the image version I remember from my childhood smile Was very happy to find it.

Harehunter Harehunter

Cartographer

• Member ID: 6,587
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationThe Lone Star State

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:31 AM #65 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

My very first computer RPG was Castle of the Winds.  It had two parts, very primitive graphics, and a very simplistic story line.  Then Exile (I) came out.  The game engine was better, 6 PC's instead of 1, but the best part was the interaction with non PCs and a complex story line.

I still have all three Exile episodes loaded on my machine.  I also have backups of them, and backups of my backups (Paranoia is a healthy attribute for DBA's).

The graphics for E1 were, what I considered, the basis.  When E2 came out, the gray cave graphics were not as pleasing to me, since I had gotten used to the bluish/green floors of E1.  Also the character icons were changed and looked cartoonish to me.  Then someone mapped the E1 graphics to E2.  I still have two copies of E2 on my box, one using the graphics published with the game, and one with the E1 graphics. I can share the graphics files if you want.

BTW in the cave A Very Peculiar Place, there is a button that says that the graphics were of Jeff and Mariann in their best SCA garb.

When E3 came out, it went back to the E1 graphics as its basis.  BoE also uses the E1/E3 graphics for its base.

Then Avernum came along and everything changed...
Lepus Temperamentalis non-gratus
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it
Visit Harehunter's Haven. Hint books for Exile 1-3 are now online.
Check out my BoE Scenario Editor and Graphics Library.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:15 PM #66 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
The graphics for E1 were, what I considered, the basis.  When E2 came out, the gray cave graphics were not as pleasing to me, since I had gotten used to the bluish/green floors of E1.  Also the character icons were changed and looked cartoonish to me.  Then someone mapped the E1 graphics to E2.  I still have two copies of E2 on my box, one using the graphics published with the game, and one with the E1 graphics. I can share the graphics files if you want.

When E3 came out, it went back to the E1 graphics as its basis.  BoE also uses the E1/E3 graphics for its base.
Wait, what? I'm pretty sure E2 officially uses the blue-green graphics as well, while BoE uses light grey cave floor. E1 and E2 did have older graphics though; are you referring to the old E1 graphics and the old E2 graphics rather than the newer graphics apparently backported from E3?

Harehunter Harehunter

Cartographer

• Member ID: 6,587
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationThe Lone Star State

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:03 AM #67 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Oops, I did make a mistake.  BoE originally came out with grey cave floors.  Someone backported the E3 terrain to it.  

But I know that the cave floors in E1 and E3 are blue/green and E2 came out originally with gray.  I have the original install of E2 and I have uploaded the Windows BMP files to Harehunter's Haven. You may have to change the address to get rid of the trailing '/'.
Lepus Temperamentalis non-gratus
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it
Visit Harehunter's Haven. Hint books for Exile 1-3 are now online.
Check out my BoE Scenario Editor and Graphics Library.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:59 PM #68 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Here's a history of the relevant releases of all the games:

(#1) Exile v1.0, brief release with only 1 AP per character per round - gray cave floor - no music included
(#2) Exile v1.x, characters now have 4 AP per round and a few icons and graphics were added - still gray cave floor - still no music included
(#3) Exile II v1.0, same basic graphics set with some additions mostly for the Vahnatai - gray cave floor - (awesome) music included
(#4) Exile III, completely new graphics set - neon turquoise cave floor - no music included
(#5) Exile v2.0, original graphics set swapped out for Exile 3 graphics - neon turquoise cave floor - also adds (Bach) music included
(#6) Exile II v2.0, original graphics set swapped out for Exile 3 graphics - neon turquoise cave floor - same (awesome) music included
(#7) Blades of Exile, uses Exile 3 graphics with some additions - includes gray cave floor? - no music included

Sven_v2_LITE Sven_v2_LITE

New Arrival

• Member ID: 6,143
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:09 PM #69 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I've hit a bit of a snag with this. I'm playing on a PPC Mac running 10.4 (playing in classic mode), and the tilesets provided are organized differently from the tilesets in the PICT resource contained within Exile. The monsters and most other graphics don't seem to be quite to much of an issue, as each PICT resource is a single graphic, but the terrain is preety vastly different. Am I going to have to manually fix this with a paint program, or is there some workaround that I'm missing?

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:55 AM #70 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Nobody backported floor to BoE, it always had both options.
Uh, since when? When I first found BoE, it had no green cave floor in its resource files and there was no option to switch to green cave floor. From where do you get the idea that there was an option?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users