• Announcements

• Then and Where and Now and There and When

Logging in   05/10/2017

If you had an account and can't log in as of 5/9/17, this may be because of a change in logins with new forum software. You can log in using your publicly displayed name (not your username) or your email address and the password you used before.   If you have problems with this, please ask any of the mods or admins. 
Ulf

Old versions of Exile & Exile II

123 posts in this topic

To Harehunter:

Thank you so much for uploading these! I've been literally searching for the old graphics for years but gave up a long time ago because nobody ever seemed to know what I was talking about.

For other people: The graphics (in Exile 1 and 2 windows at least) are just stored as plain bmps and are incredibly easy to edit, so you should be able to easily move them to the version of the game you prefer. I used to have fun messing around and editing in all sorts of different PC graphics... My sister once had a party that included a housecat, a lizard, a cow and a giant mushroom.

You're quite welcome. Your concept of alternate PC graphics is very intriguing.

Welcome to Spierweb Software. I guess it's too late to ask you to leave your sanity at the door. smile

I've dug up a few Windows shareware versions of Exile and Exile II, here you go:

Exile: Escape from the Pit

Exile II: Crystal Souls

This is sort of a big bump, but is there any kind of changelog for the versions Mr Flibble posted? I've been digging through them a little bit and there's some epochal stuff (the interface in Exile 1.01 was heinously crude, and a few sound effects are inexplicably clipped or compressed) but also a lot of minor stuff (Exile 1.01's graphics are significantly different than Exile 1.12's, but both are Shirley Monroe's handiwork and the changes seem to represent a sweeping if subtle change that would persist through Exile 2).

I've been digging through them myself to form my own conclusions but I'm not all that technical and it's sort of a hassle to install them on a virtual machine one by one.

That would be interesting. Unfortunately, the really interesting stuff (like the AP change) is going to require early Mac versions, which seem to be much harder to find -- if they are extant at all. (And which are also, frankly, even more of a hassle to emulate.)

Here's what I've managed to find as far as old Mac versions go.

Exile 1:

Known missing: 1.0, 1.0.5 and 1.1. Unfortunately, I don't they're very likely to turn up. If you have a copy I'd love to see them.

Exile 1 Editor:

Exile 2:

Known missing: 2.0.1

Exile 3 (for completeness' sake):

Known missing: 1.0.3 (not 1.0.3b)

Wow. This is awesome. I'm sort of astonished that it took THAT long for the AP system update... but I guess that would explain a few things.

In case anyone else was going to, I did look through 1.1.2's files for that business in Silvar. No dice. If it existed, it was in an earlier version.

I've assembled some changelogs from newsgroup posts, archived versions of this site, readmes, etc., and added a few comments (in square brackets) about things I've noticed as well. They should be helpful for anyone who wants to look in to this stuff.

Mac changelogs

Win changelogs

I suspect if "that business in Silvar" was ever a thing it was taken out in ver 1.1 when the storage space was added.

Hey, nice work. It's always good to see digital history preserved.

Never say never :D

Featuring: Gray cave walls!

Different title screen!

Still nothing hinky in Silvar, I'm pretty sure someone just made that up!

Also, dropping in a registered misc.dat from a newer version doesn't seem to work with 1.0.5.

Mac changelog updated accordingly.

edit:

Kicked up one last version.

Finally found an E2 version history included with a patch, don't really get why he didn't put it in with the full versions but whatever, pasted it into the changelog.

Anyone able to kick up some links with the old windows versions of exile 1 and 2? (all but the links to the mac versions are dead links)

All the Windows versions found thus far are up at Kult CDs:

I'll look into some other abandonware sites.

The links from "ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de", which that site linked to, either didn't work (timed out, even with a proxy [thought it might have been blocked by my isp]) or were detected as malicious by chrome and my AV (possibly a false positive, but you never know with abandonware sites).

why can't you dl directly from sw's site?

Because, as the title and previous 3 pages of discussion indicate, this topic is about OLD versions of Exile. Not the most recent versions, which is what SW has up.

There, that oughta do it.

Awesome! Thank you! (*immediately archiving and storing for safe keeping*)

Glad to have this all cleared up. I liked The I'm Guessing early exile 2 graphics, less mortal combat more legend of zelda know what I mean?