Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Ulf

To Harehunter:

Thank you so much for uploading these! I've been literally searching for the old graphics for years but gave up a long time ago because nobody ever seemed to know what I was talking about.

For other people: The graphics (in Exile 1 and 2 windows at least) are just stored as plain bmps and are incredibly easy to edit, so you should be able to easily move them to the version of the game you prefer. I used to have fun messing around and editing in all sorts of different PC graphics... My sister once had a party that included a housecat, a lizard, a cow and a giant mushroom.

• 1 year later...

I've dug up a few Windows shareware versions of Exile and Exile II, here you go:

Exile: Escape from the Pit

Exile II: Crystal Souls

• 10 months later...

This is sort of a big bump, but is there any kind of changelog for the versions Mr Flibble posted? I've been digging through them a little bit and there's some epochal stuff (the interface in Exile 1.01 was heinously crude, and a few sound effects are inexplicably clipped or compressed) but also a lot of minor stuff (Exile 1.01's graphics are significantly different than Exile 1.12's, but both are Shirley Monroe's handiwork and the changes seem to represent a sweeping if subtle change that would persist through Exile 2).

I've been digging through them myself to form my own conclusions but I'm not all that technical and it's sort of a hassle to install them on a virtual machine one by one.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what I've managed to find as far as old Mac versions go.

Exile 1:

Known missing: 1.0, 1.0.5 and 1.1. Unfortunately, I don't they're very likely to turn up. If you have a copy I'd love to see them.

Exile 1 Editor:

Exile 2:

Known missing: 2.0.1

Exile 3 (for completeness' sake):

Known missing: 1.0.3 (not 1.0.3b)

Wow. This is awesome. I'm sort of astonished that it took THAT long for the AP system update... but I guess that would explain a few things.

In case anyone else was going to, I did look through 1.1.2's files for that business in Silvar. No dice. If it existed, it was in an earlier version.

• 2 weeks later...

I've assembled some changelogs from newsgroup posts, archived versions of this site, readmes, etc., and added a few comments (in square brackets) about things I've noticed as well. They should be helpful for anyone who wants to look in to this stuff.

Mac changelogs

Win changelogs

I suspect if "that business in Silvar" was ever a thing it was taken out in ver 1.1 when the storage space was added.

• 3 months later...

Never say never :D

Featuring: Gray cave walls!

Different title screen!

Still nothing hinky in Silvar, I'm pretty sure someone just made that up!

Also, dropping in a registered misc.dat from a newer version doesn't seem to work with 1.0.5.

Mac changelog updated accordingly.

edit:

Kicked up one last version.

Finally found an E2 version history included with a patch, don't really get why he didn't put it in with the full versions but whatever, pasted it into the changelog.

• 1 year later...

All the Windows versions found thus far are up at Kult CDs:

I'll look into some other abandonware sites.

The links from "ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de", which that site linked to, either didn't work (timed out, even with a proxy [thought it might have been blocked by my isp]) or were detected as malicious by chrome and my AV (possibly a false positive, but you never know with abandonware sites).

Oh dang, sorry! I thought he actually had them uploaded to his site. I'll put them on my mediafire for you.

Exile for Windows:

Exile II for Windows:

There, that oughta do it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have every PC version of the EXILE series I could find all pre-registered, pre-installed and in a convenient 7z file.

File:

https://www32.zippyshare.com/v/4Asgjkbu/file.html

Missing EXILE 1.0, EXILE 2 1.0.1, EXILE 3 1.0.

If anyone can find any of those versions please contact me. These versions need to be preserved.

If under modern windows download OTVDM and put it somewhere permanent

then within the OTVDM folder run install or install (no console).

Then run the EXILE EXEs and they should pop up no problem.

OTVDM:
https://github.com/otya128/winevdm

Edited by silentwolf91

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/30/2016 at 7:47 PM, Lavacopter said:

Oh dang, sorry! I thought he actually had them uploaded to his site. I'll put them on my mediafire for you.

Exile for Windows:

Exile II for Windows:

There, that oughta do it.

Hello everyone, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I couldn't find an alternative.

I'm trying to play the Exile 2: Crystal Souls with the original graphics. I believe the version I'm looking for is v1.0.3 which is the latest version before the graphics overhaul. I've managed to get it to run on DosBox using Windows 3.1.

Most of the links that have been posted here no longer work, and the ones posted by Lavacopter above seem to be the un-registered versions of the game.

Does anyone have an updated link to the registered version of Exile 2 with the old graphics? I imagine this should be OK since they are considered abandonware at this point.

Thank you!

For 99% of the graphics you should be able to take the original graphics file and just use that with a more recent version of Exile II, like the one on the SW website.

This will change all the terrain and character graphics, and I think item graphics as well.  It won't affect certain interface graphics, like the buttons at the bottom of the main view.

• 3 weeks later...