Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Ulf

Not to say that he can't or wouldn't. I was trying to whine at Nikki for eliciting Tyran and not me. Since Exile is closer related to BoExile then BoAvernum I was sad Nikki went automatically to Tyran in light of what our sites's main focuses are. I mean, I know why Nikki went to Tyran. He's much more likable and a hottie to boot. wink I'm just pouting that Nikki's pointing it out again.

Sorry, Jewels. It was just that Tyran had already posted in the thread, and I'd assume he'd read it again after my post, and be more likely to respond, whilst you hadn't posted (and therefore, I couldn't be sure you had seen the thread). It was nothing to do with what either of your sites are for. smile

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I rediscovered the old cd with exile that I don't think I ever played them. Is it really worth to play them? Aren't Avernum exact almost remake of them? I remember have played both Blades of Exile and Blades of Avernum and the second had stuff quite similar plus bonus.

I prefer some choice of Exile like using a single icon when not in fight (if I remember well) but for me the Avernum version of Blades was an improvement and it's not about graphics.

The plots of Exile and Avernum are exactly the same. The engines are quite different. If you prefer the Avernum engine there's no reason to go back and play the Exile games except for BoE, which of course has its own unique scenarios.

—Alorael, who still thinks BoE beats BoA hands down aggregate scenario quality. There are more BoE scenarios and many of them are fantastic. And BoE is free, too!

The major changes were the addition of the town and dungeon in A1, which are significant to world history but otherwise never again referenced outside of BoA, and the removal of conveyor belts and addition of laser beams from E3 to A3. Both of them lead to obnoxious puzzle dungeons, but at least the lasers have fewer glitches that get you stuck inside walls.

—Alorael, who can't think of any other big dungeon overhauls. Well, okay, moving walls were also replaced by laser beams. He's not even entirely sure why.

Exile 1 had an easier version of the same assassination of Emperor Hawthorne.

Exile 2 allowed you to fight the Empire guards over and over again at the checkpoints that they set up.

I haven't finished Avernum 3 so I can't compare it all,

I don't really remember a horrid revenge on the surface world except for killing Hawthorne.

Exile games repopulated dungeons so you could keep killing the same people over and over again, except named characters would be replaced with generic versions of themselves after you killed them. Hmmm, I never went back to see what happens to Grah-Hoth if you go back to his fortress after killing him in Exile 1.

• 2 weeks later...

Spiderweb upgraded the graphics of their older games to the E3 graphics, which are a bit more polished. At some point the AP system was also added into E1, which originally gave you one action per character per turn.

—Alorael, who is sure there are a few other little differences. Those are the immediately obvious ones.

1 AP doesn't make it harder, precisely. Your enemies are also only getting their one action point. It makes haste and slow immensely effective, though, because they're doubling and halving your actions (by giving you extra turns or taking away turns you'd otherwise have). It does make ranged attacks deadly. When you're charging one space per turn the mage has a lot of time to lob spells at you.

—Alorael, who agrees that E1 is very, very U3-like. It adds 11 years of polish to the mix, but it could very nearly have been remade with the same engine.

• 3 weeks later...

Download the graphics in the first post of this thread. The game looked exactly as it does now, but with those sprites rather than the ones from Exile 3.

—Alorael, who has to admit that the old graphics have a lot of charm. They were cruder, but they weren't ugly. They're also still how he pictures sliths.

You can replace the new graphics in the appropriate files with the old ones. Are you using a Mac or Windows?

—Alorael, who can see a disadvantage to having a computer and an OS with the same name. Really the question is whether you are using Windows or Mac OS. The former is far more likely given that no modern Mac OS will run Exile.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Exile 1 and 2 did not have "really terrible graphics." Exile 3's graphics were shinier and glossier and more varied, and some of Exile's original graphics were crude. However, they did a perfectly good job at creating the atmosphere of Exile. So if you happen to prefer graphics that are less shiny and less glossy -- or just if you prefer caves that are light grey and not neon turquoise -- there is reason to play with the original graphics. At least a few people here, myself included, prefer them to any other graphics set SW has used.

• 1 month later...

I liked Exile 2 original graphics, but those of exile 1 were a bit too dark for my taste. Exile 2 was the first game I played and I loved it , must have finished it at least 4 time, versus only 2 for exile 1 and 3.

The first copy of Exile 1 I found, was the old 1 AP version. As I was used to Exile 2, combats were tediouuuuus and damaging spells (fireball, fire and wound) more important.

• 1 month later...

First off, I'd like to thank the creator of this thread for posting this. The Exile series is something that has been a part of my gaming life for many years and the chance to re-experience the original versions was something I jumped at quite eagerly.

However, while I was able to download Exile 1, the link to Exile 2 is no longer valid.

Is there anyone kind enough to upload it somewhere so that I can get a copy of it? I've been searching for the last hour on Abandonware websites and so forth in an attempt to find it, but thus far I've been without luck in the matter.

You could make a very weird and nitpicky argument about the old version being abandonware. In any case, I don't think Jeff is going to complain about someone else hosting his game, even an old version, as long as it's still just the demo.

—Alorael, who supposes Exile as a concept has also been abandoned in favor of Avernum. And Exile is about being abandoned by the surface to your subterranean fate. And that's enough.