One man's thoughts on A5

BrownieMix

Hello everyone,

I thought, since most of the people who have posted opinions on the game seem to be either beta testers or have vast knowledge of the Avernum series, that I would post my relatively nOObish thoughts on this game as I progress through it. I can't promise I'll write every night, or even end up finishing this, but I'll do my best to add my perspective on what so far has been an AMAZING experience.

First, a little background: I am 25. I have played Geneforge 4 (my first Spiderweb game) and Avernum 4. I have not beaten either of them, but enjoyed playing them a lot...up to a certain point, when I lost interest for various reasons. I have been an RPG fan since I played Dragon Warrior on my still-functioning NES. I can't read or write, and think eleventy billion is a real number. I name my characters after Final Fantasy II ones, because Final Fantasy II is my favorite RPG of all time. I play basketball on Wednesdays...and I like to think I have a sense of humor.

Right-on to my totally random thoughts! (NOTE: These will be less spoilerish and more general opinions,though some details will likely be revealed. Just a warning.)

I have just completed the tutorial and have just made it to the Outside Outpost region with an All Nephil party, and so far...

PROS

-Whoever created that music at the intro should get a raise-I LOVE it! It makes me feel like there is something sinister afoot, and puts me right inline with the overall mood at the beginning of the story.

-Kudos for the improved art at the beginning/loading screens/character portraits/anywhere else I've missed. Looks VERY good.

-Yay for more character models! Yay for kitties that look like they are on steroids! I almost did an all Human party just so I could have all the varied character models in my party.

-If you ever need a lesson in how to write a tutorial, look no further. I thought Geneforge 4's tutorial was pretty awesome, and this one manages to top it. Great balance of feeling like I'm learning how to use the game while still feeling that I'm making progress with the story AND hunting down an enemy. Not boring in the slightest.

-Do I hear different/more sound effects? Do I see my arrow "flying" as opposed to traveling in a straight line? Why, yes, I believe I do.

-Battle Disciplines...haven't used them much, but what little I have has worked out very well.

-Elevations make the world a LOT more interesting.

-Story...one of the reasons I stopped playing Avernum 4 was that the story just never really pulled me into it. To each their own, but it just didn't do it for me. This, however, has already got me really excited, and I haven't even done anything yet! The few conversations I've had make me want more-more power, more glory, more questions as to just what's going on? What's going to happen? Why do I make my steroid kitties light green, especially when I haven't seen The Incredible Hulk?

CONS

-Experience Gained Isn't Displayed...this is something I like better in Geneforge 4 then A4 or A5. Called me old fashioned, but I like knowing how much XP I get when I kill something/finish a quest. Sure, I can look at the character screen and manually calculate it, but I prefer having that info given directly to me. Jeff has written a lot of articles on RPG's, so I'm sure there's a reason for going against the "Conventional/old fashioned" way, but I'd just prefer to know exactly how much XP I get when I complete something.

umm...thats all the cons I have for right now...yeah, I know-lame. What can I say? I like the game so far-when I find something I don't like, I'll let you know. Also, I'm familiar enough with A4 and Spiderweb games in general to be used to, and like, things that total newbies might think of as "bad".

OTHER THOUGHTS

-I feel like I got decent items WAY earlier in this game then either G4 or A4. I already have 2 "magic" items and some seemingly good regular equipment. Maybe the monsters beyond are harder, hence the need for it, but it was definitely noticeable.

-I don't know what an Anama is, or how to play one, or how I can find one (yet)...but I want to. Reminds me of the Trakovites from G4 a little bit...but then again, I don't really know, do I?

-Secret doors? Tiny buttons in the wall that I wouldn't know existed if my mouse hadn't accidentally gone over it? Being a soldier of the Empire? COOL.

Phew-ok, that's all I got for now. Sorry this is so long-it will be a lot shorter next time, assuming the mods don't ban me and someone actually reads this.

So far, this game rocks.

BrownieMix

Except he says he hasn't played A3.

Would you believe I'd forgotten the secret doors weren't in A4? They're definitely a good thing. They require more than wall-bashing to find (as in E1-A3) and yet they're still pretty close to the original secret door. Good stuff.

—Alorael, who will say only that the Anama is a sect that doesn't like mages. At all. Yes, they're Trakovite-esque, but for magic instead of shaping.