special skills

Extraho Incendia

Here is the list of special skills. They are divided in two categories physical and mental. I tested all them in the editor.

*i: I added the skill costs to help determine if you have trained enough, since skills from items and bonuses do not count. You know you have enough of each when the skill cost appears as listed.

physical

Quick Strike : 6 Dexterity (cost 8) + 6 Melee or Pole (cost 7)

Parry : 6 Dexterity (cost 8) + 6 Defense (cost 5)

Blademaster : 6 Melee (cost 7) + 6 pole (cost 7) + 6 Strength (cost 8)

Anatomy : 6 Intelligence (cost 7) + 8 Melee or Pole (cost 8)

Gymnastics : 8 Dexterity (cost 9) + 6 Strength (cost 8)

Pathfinder : Untrainable

Lethal Blow : 8 Anatomy (cost 8) + 8 Blademaster (cost 9)

Riposte : 8 Parry (cost 7) + 6 Blademaster (cost 8)

Sharpshooter : 6 Dexterity (cost 8) + 8 Bows or Thrown (cost 6)

Mental

Magery : 8 Intelligence (cost 9) + 6 Mage or Priest (cost 8 or 7)

Magical Efficiency : 8 Magery (cost 8) + 8 Endurance (cost 8)

Resistance : 8 Dexterity (cost 9) + 8 Endurance (cost 8) + 8 Hardiness (cost 5)

Thanks! It's nice to have a confirmed list. I think there's a bug in my edition with the special skills though. Sharpshooter, blademaster and magery was not enabled long after I achieved the required levels of skills. I kept testing them to see if they pop up, but I did not have sharpshooter until 10 bows and 9 dex, blademaster= 12 poles and 6 melee + 8 strength, and magery was enabled at different levels for my priest and mage. Why is that?

• 2 months later...

I misread the last line of the list such that it seemed to show Hardiness as an untrainable special skill, instead of 8 Hardiness as the requirement to train in Resistance. Oops. Hardiness is not a special skill, but it is great. Since it lowers all damage by a percentage, it is effectively a cheaper equivalent to Endurance, which has the side effect of boosting all healing effects (because it takes fewer healed points to restore you to full).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my fighter has 6 in defense and dexterity but parry isn't allowed to him yet. I think it's because of bonus points from traits but how can I know?

I can easily account for bonus from items but what bonus do I get in stats from :

- natural mage

- pure fighter (or something like that, don't remember the exact words)

- divinely touched

Quote:
Originally written by JP:
Well, my fighter has 6 in defense and dexterity but parry isn't allowed to him yet. I think it's because of bonus points from traits but how can I know?
Does he also have 6 bought points in either Melee Weapons or Pole Weapons? I'm pretty sure you need that as well.

Parry only needs Dext and Defense.

I know that only points bought with SP are taken into account for special skill availability. The problem is to know whether I gained some of my skill points with race and/or traits (items can easily be checked).

I also noticed that special skills don't appear at once. When you gain the last needed point, you have to close the training screen, then open it again to see the new skill available for upgrade.

What Disappearer said...

The skill values listed above are the amount you need to train the prereq skills in order to unlock the new ones. Just tested this in the editor to confirm it...

However, the first stats, 2Str/Dex/etc *do* count towards what you need.

I think it might be easier to measure in the cost to raise the skill rather than quote the pre-special ability level...(Blademaster at 8 to raise and Parry at 7 would be the requirements for Ripostle)

Side note: Ripostle of 8 seems to give a 24% chance to counter attack...3%per for Parry/Ripostle. Question is, however, which does it check first?

• 3 weeks later...

The values listed to unlock the skills do not seem to be accurate for my guys.

I have a Mage with 7 int and 9 Mage spells and she can access Magery. I have a Priest with 8 int and 8 priest spells, and she can not. Each of them has the bonus trait that makes them a better mage or priest, respectively. Pure Spirit for the Priest and whatever the Mage one is called.

Over and over and over again I see the same recurring error when talking about unlocking the special skills. Everyone talks about them in terms of the level needed in this skill or that skill to unlock them, and then need to back peddle to adjust for bonus stats from items, or skills bought at trainers, or skill levels from traits.

Here is the basic simple (and if you look carefully, the one place that gets it right is the walkthrough) fact....to unlock the special skills you must look at THE COST to train skills, not skill levels. It is all about skilling COST. Once again, for those who need repetition, it is the COST to train a skill that you need to look at, not the skill level itself. Doing this should adjust all errors of every possible character development scenario to come out correctly for each unlockable skill.

Oh, and this fella made this very same observation in post #6 of this thread:

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Really, the most sensible measure would be in terms of how much each base skill has to cost before the special skill becomes available.

People on these boards really need to start READING posts in threads before firing off replies. I suppose I am just telling the old timers what they already knew though, even though they completely fail to make these obvious observations over and over again.

As for me...this post marks my last effort here. This place is far to unfriendly. Peace.

So the numbers in the first post, those are the skill costs and not the actual skill values? If so, the post ought to be edited to say that or someone should start a new, more informative thread that has the costs, if that is indeed what triggering the unlocks is based on. Its not easy (for me) to tell where skill points are coming from, whether trained or from traitis...when you click a trait it does not tell you how much its boosting a given skill.

No, the numbers are not the costs, those are the numbers of that skill you need to train in. The cost should (within 1 point) give you an estimate of how many of the skill you have trained in. A good way to find this is to draft a new party, go into the editor and train until the skill opens up and then go back and look at the cost.

Quote:
People on these boards really need to start READING posts in threads before firing off replies. I suppose I am just telling the old timers what they already knew though, even though they completely fail to make these obvious observations over and over again.

As for me...this post marks my last effort here. This place is far to unfriendly. Peace.
Of course I am aware of this, I just did not think to write it at the time. Thank you for appending this useful bit. I suspect berating people for not giving the advice you would have given leads to the place being "unfriendly" for you.

On this issue, if you have any instances where people have violated the Code of Conduct, please forward them to me. I am more than willing to help deal with that.

Should I bring the whip?

Anyhow, this is straight from Matt Pasek's walkthrough (all numbers are trained numbers):

SPECIAL SKILLS

Quick Strike (QS): 6 Dexterity (starts to cost 8) + 6 Melee or Pole

(starts to cost 7).

Parry (Par): 6 Dexterity (starts to cost 8) + 6 Defense (starts to cost

5).

Blademaster (Blm): 6 Melee (starts to cost 7) + 6 pole (starts to cost 7)

+ 6 Strength (starts to cost 8).

Anatomy (Anat): 4 Intelligence (starts to cost 7) + 8 Melee or Pole

(starts to cost 8).

Gymnastics (Gym): 8 Dexterity (starts to cost 9) + 6 Strength (starts to

cost 8).

Pathfinder: untrainable.

Lethal Blow (LB): 8 Anatomy (starts to cost 8) + 8 Blademaster (starts to

cost 9).

Riposte (Rip): 8 Parry (starts to cost 7) + 6 Blademaster (starts to cost

8).

Sharpshooter (SS): 6 Dexterity (starts to cost 8) + 8 Bows or Thrown

(starts to cost 6).

Magery (Mgr): 8 Intelligence (starts to cost 9) + 6 Mage Spells (starts to

cost 8) or Priest Spells (starts to cost 7).

Magical Efficiency (MEf): 8 Magery (starts to cost 8) + 8 Endurance

(starts to cost 8).

Resistance (Res): 8 Dexterity (starts to cost 9) + 8 Endurance (starts to

cost 8) + 8 Hardiness (starts to cost 5).

• 7 months later...