How do I install Avernum 4?

ahninjas

This is a stupid question, but I have no idea how to install it. I literally just bought a Mac today, and I haven't got a clue how to unpack this binary file. I haven't used OSX for almost a year, and my past experience with it was very limited. I'm not very keen on messing around with stuff on my own, since the last Mac OS I used regularly was OS9 (probably the most frustating operating system I've ever used, next to Windows ME) and have little patience for the system right now. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm using an iBook G4 with OSX 10.4.2

Quote:
Originally written by ahninjas:
This is a stupid question, but I have no idea how to install it. I literally just bought a Mac today, and I haven't got a clue how to unpack this binary file. I haven't used OSX for almost a year, and my past experience with it was very limited. I'm not very keen on messing around with stuff on my own, since the last Mac OS I used regularly was OS9 (probably the most frustating operating system I've ever used, next to Windows ME) and have little patience for the system right now. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm using an iBook G4 with OSX 10.4.2
Mac OS 9 and frustrating don't fit together in one sentence. You normally are a Windows user, right? FIRST get to learn mac, THEN you get to complain, but ONLY in that order. Now don't start arguing with me that I don't know how Windows works, because I use them both, and XP irritates me greatly now and then.

Oh yes, I don't want to start a Mac vs PC war.

Quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:
Mac OS 9 and frustrating don't fit together in one sentence. You normally are a Windows user, right? FIRST get to learn mac, THEN you get to complain, but ONLY in that order. Now don't start arguing with me that I don't know how Windows works, because I use them both, and XP irritates me greatly now and then.

Oh yes, I don't want to start a Mac vs PC war.
Isn't that a little like punching someone in the face and then telling them you don't want to start a fight?

Well, yes. I'm sorry if I offended somebody, I just don't like that sort of statements about things one possibly doesn't know to well.

Let me put it this way: if its true that he didn't use Mac OS 9 for longer then a week or two, consider my critisisme as still there, while if he used for longer then that and knows the system good enough to say something about it, I have said nothing.

It's clear when we think about it, that so much of what we as humans prefer and find "superior" is biased simply (and apart from analysis) by what is familiar and comfortable to us. Generations of family members carry on in the same religion, often without much objective introspection on why they would otherwise choose it out of the myriad choices. Windoze users often try out the Mac OS and immediately declare it sucks, because it seems so alien to what they become accustomed, when those who may have tried both more substantially will of course eventually pronounce the Mac OS as superior. wink

Quote:

Let me put it this way: if its true that he didn't use Mac OS 9 for longer then a week or two,
Four hours, once a week, every week, for an entire semester. And before that, I used OSX for three hours a day, every weekday, for about a month. I've had plenty of time with the interface, and more than enough to decide that I prefer Windows. And no, I didn't start with Windows 95. I started with Windows 3.1, which was a total rip off of the Mac interface (actually, I started with DOS, but that's not really relevant).

So why am I having trouble? All of the Macs I've ever used until now were school property. I've never installed anything on a Mac before, except for Creative Suite 2, which didn't really require any input from me. They don't let students install anything on school computers, for fear of the student messing something up (oddly enough, I've crashed every school Mac I've ever touched at least once)

Short version: Help or GOMI plz

Installation really shouldn't be difficult. Download the installer program, decompress the installer program (your computer probably comes with Stuffit Expander, in which case you can just double-click the compressed file, or your browser may even open the decompression utility automatically), open the installer program, follow the prompts, install the game to whatever directory you like, play the game. I can't imagine how you could possibly cause any serious damage in any of these steps, so don't be afraid that you'll mess something up. If you have further questions about any of these steps in particular, ask away.

It doesn't seem to have Stuffit pre installed, and I can't set it up for internet access right now. I've been transfering files from this desktop to the iBook with a USB memory dongle, but the Stuffit website wants me to register for some inbox spam orgy before it will let me download the program.

Actually, forget that last part. God bless download.com

Originally by ahninjas:

Quote:
So why am I having trouble? All of the Macs I've ever used until now were school property. I've never installed anything on a Mac before, except for Creative Suite 2, which didn't really require any input from me. They don't let students install anything on school computers, for fear of the student messing something up (oddly enough, I've crashed every school Mac I've ever touched at least once)
Ah, school computers. Everything is disabled. (Once even Microsoft Word was disabled. What do you do on a computer if even word processing is off-limits?) I've found that the more restrictions placed on something, the more problems those restrictions create. And it's stupid, because the people who are likely to cause problems with figure a way around the restrictions.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Spelling.

Quote:
Well, yes. I'm sorry if I offended somebody, I just don't like that sort of statements about things one possibly doesn't know to well.

Let me put it this way: if its true that he didn't use Mac OS 9 for longer then a week or two, consider my critisisme as still there, while if he used for longer then that and knows the system good enough to say something about it, I have said nothing.
replytothread.gif

*this message sponsored by your keyboard*

Indeed, good decision to make salmon (Actually, if you put that image with it, why reply in the first place?).

really, I don't understand all the fuss made about what I said. It probably wasn't really clear that the critisisme was only really directed to him if he doesn't know anything about the computer and just complains because he doesn't know the OS.

Anyway, as a user of Mac OS 9, who worked for 5 years with it (its time to get a new computer), I don't ewncounter any problems, and I also don't understand why you find mac OS 9 so difficult to work with. if you could tell me what it is you find so frustarting, I might be able to help you. What I prefer even over OS X in OS 9, is that OS 9 still remained simple and easy to acces. OS X is more beautiful, that's true, but still.

Nostalgia, I guess.

I guess brevity doesn't mean clarity. By the same token, I understand that English is not your first language and you do quite well within your limits. I will attempt to be clearer.

It would be more pleasant if you did immediately begin criticizing upon reading a thread that makes your blood boil, especially since your comments are usually founded upon a incomplete understanding of the English language.

For instance, the originator of this thread quite clearly stated that he had used OS 9 regularly, but had bumped up to OS 10.x and then encountered this problem. His issue is installing A4 on his new computer. You seem to have a habit of taking 3rd party critiques as personal attacks, and this was a further example.

Quote:
Its more like pushing me in the face
I felt the need to suggest you not click on that button because you neglected to add anything to the topic. As an experienced OS 9 user, you should have been happy to point him in the right direction, rather than
Quote:
punching someone in the face and then telling them you don't want to start a fight?
It makes the world a nicer place when everyone just listens, and then tries to understand what they heard. And then, maybe, create a response which moves the conversation forward. That's all I ask. You might even point in the direction of a download site for StuffIt Expander, since I understand the absence of that program is his true dilemna. (Hopefully it is freeware, otherwise point him to any Macompatible un-zipping software.)

*this message sponsored by an anonymous donor *

two things:

1) You are right.

2) thanks for the compliment(s).

Another thing: Stuffit is shareware. You can download a sharware version at http://www.stuffit.com/mac/index.html. note that that is for the mac version. somewhere there you'll find a download for it. i don't know how long you can use before you register.

As far as I know, the Stuffit Expander itself is freeware. It is nowadays part of a shareware program that you can use to compress files. If they didn't change the procedure, you can choose a 'Custom-Installation' and have only the Expander installed. After the 30-day trial the compression tool stops working, but the Expander should be unaffected and still functioning.

ahninjas, have you managed to install yet? Because if you haven't we don't want them totally demolishing your thread. wink

Secondly, my own small input: if the only Mac you've ever used was at school, you're likely to have a much more frustrating memory of them than people with personal machines. They simply get abused too much. smirk

Yes, I eventually got it to install.

Since I have your attention, I might as well ask a new question. Will the Exile games work on OSX? I hear a lot about "carbonization", which I assume is Apple's fancy way of saying "OSX compatible".

Also, is there any way to make the dock solid, like the taskbar in Windows? It's really annoying how it overlaps the content of a window.

"Carbonization" is the process by which one makes something OS X native. Classic mode (for the time being) will still run anything that was made for OS 9 or earlier.

This means little to most users. Generally one double-clicks on an application, and if Classic mode begins starting, then one realizes that the application is Classic and waits a minute or two. At that point, one can proceed normally.

My solution to dock overlap is to make the dock go away unless I want it. Go to System Preferences and muck around with your dock preferences until you find what you want.