Question for Geneforge Series veterans

narpet

Hello all,

I just ordered the Geneforge trilogy, along with Geneforge 4. I would like to hear the opinions of those who have a lot of experience with the series.

Do you think I should play the series from 1 through 4?

If not, should I start at a certain game and go from there (example: start with 3 and then go to 4)?

If I do play the series from beginning to end I can probably plan on not getting to Geneforge 4 until I retire smile

Let me know what you think...

narpet

I suggest playing through from the begining for maximum enjoyment and understanding of the story. Kelandon is also correct, though, if you play backwards, the game will probably become more annoying as you go because you will be moving backwards in technology or whatever as well. Technology is probably the wrong word but you get the idea.

Kelandon's right, start with G1 and work your way forwards. I actually played the Exile trilogy backwards, but then again, that's also the order I originally found them in (and later bought the entire trilogy on CD), and subsequently beat them in that order, too. Believe me, it's tough to follow any series when you play it backwards.

Getting back on topic, it's better to play the series from beginning to end. That way, more things will make sense in later games. Also, the later games will have better interfaces and more refined engines, which usually cause some confusion if you play backwards (I think that's the point Emperor Tullegolar was trying to make as well).

To fully enjoy the games you have to avoid reading the forums and play them in order (1 through 4). The negative side of "you don't need experience with previous games to play later ones" is that all secrets of earlier games are revealed in early portions of later installments. So if you do want to play all four, you have to play them in order.

I thank you all for your responses. I have lurked here for quite a while and I've noticed that this community has a much more positive and friendly population than a lot of other places.

So now I'm excited to start G1 and begin my journey through the series!

Thanks to all of you,

narpet

Quote:
Originally written by narpet:
I have lurked here for quite a while and I've noticed that this community has a much more positive and friendly population than a lot of other places.
My first thought was, jeez, what are other places like? Then I remembered that we're in the GF forum here, not the Blades forums. :p

The difference used to be TM was usually in Blades and rarely in Geneforge.

Playing the series in order means that when you try to do things you don't wonder why it doesn't work the way you thought it should. You really need to read the instructions because the spell effects change so daze goes from affecting one creature in GF1 and GF2 to affecting all within an area in GF3 and GF4. There are other differences beside more creations and spells in the later games. The combat use of action points is completely different in GF4.

I actually started playing back through the series again myself some time ago in anticipation of GF4. As always I have been playing many other games along side them and doing other activities so I'm still only halfway through GF2 at the moment, esp. since I haven't played in about a week for no apparent reason. Before I was playing it less because I was tired from getting up early for school and on the weekends work left me with little time for games. (I work 9-5 and usually go to bed at about 8 and between 5 and 8 I have to get home, eat, take my pills, get a bath, etc. and by then I don't feel like playing anything major)

Working from beginning to end is a good idea. When you start at Geneforge 4, the gameplay runs much smoother and you may have trouble playing Geneforge 1 because you are used to the different engine.

I had trouble replaying the first one because of the lack of spells and the graphics weren't as good.

Okay... I just received my games in the mail (GF1 - GF4) and I am going to go with everyone's good advice and play them in order.

The temptation is of course to play the latest game, but I know that I'm going to enjoy it so much more if I play the whole series from start to finish...

Thanks for all of your input.

narpet

Totally.

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

You really need to read the instructions because the spell effects change so daze goes from affecting one creature in GF1 and GF2 to affecting all within an area in GF3 and GF4.

There were three spells in each category, as I recall, in G1. Daze did not exist. Yet.

I think that Geneforge 1 has the charm of being the first game in the series, so while it's not the best technologically, it might become your favorite if you play it first.

Quote:
Originally written by Nalyd Twisted:

Wasn't that necromancy?

Posting in threads that are still on page 1 usually isn't considered necromancy, especially when the thread is less than a week old. Complaining about necromancy or offtopicness, especially when the moderators don't object to it, makes the complainer look like an annoying and clueless person who is unsuccessfully trying to prove his importance. (And I am well aware of the irony of complaining about complaining. :p )

Quote:
Originally written by The Absolute Value of Nalyd is Zero:
But if you like surprises, don't finish all of G1 until the entire series is done wink .
"I have it! The big secret from Geneforge I! Now, I will tell the world that the shapers..."
*Sound of two shots from a silenced pistol, followed by silence.*