83 replies to this topic
Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:39 AM #36 BoA BUGS v6.0

(Sorry about double post!)

I found another odd bug. I altered the cave floors to add an icon adjust value, and for some reason the adjust value was carried over to the surface floors as well - even though I had not added it. I added to specifically cancel the adjust on the surface floors for it to work properly.

Edit: Thought I should be more specific. I modified them by importing them into 254 then reimporting that (implicitly) back into the original slot, rather than completely redefining them.
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Lazarus. Lazarus.

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,972
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:15 PM #37 BoA BUGS v6.0

I'm inclined to say that the problem is with your data script and is probably caused by not using the 'clear' function properly, or possibly because cave floors are imported for the grass floors (Are they? And as importantly, should this make a difference? Unless you redefine the grasses in your data script, they shouldn't be affected by your changing the floors that the corescendata imported when defining them.... I don't know what the hell I'm talking about so I doubt anybody else will.)
"It's all that weiner kid TM's fault." -Nikki

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:53 AM #38 BoA BUGS v6.0

The surface floors DO import the cavern floors (floor 0), so if you alter that, then all floors that import that will be changed. Don't forget that your custom data script takes precident over corescendata. So changing the first floor without altering the grass floor will make BoA edit the cave floor, see that you aren't changing the grass floor, and go ahead and import floor 0 - the one you changed. Hope that makes sense.

If I were you, I'd reassign the altered floors a different, unused number, leaving the first cave floors well alone. That way is far easier than redefining all of the grass floors again.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:08 AM #39 BoA BUGS v6.0

Quote:
Originally written by Ballad:
Don't forget that your custom data script takes precident over corescendata.
Are you saying that the game loads the custom script before it loads corescendata? It shouldn't do that.
Quote:
Originally written by Ballad:

If I were you, I'd reassign the altered floors a different, unused number, leaving the first cave floors well alone. That way is far easier than redefining all of the grass floors again.
Maybe, but I've already done it now.  smile

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Niemand Niemand

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,580
  • 2,138 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:37 AM #40 BoA BUGS v6.0

No, what he's saying is that the game loads the custom script  after corescendata, this means that definitions in the custom script override (take precedent over) those in corescendata.
Possibly you suppose that [he] is a harmless fellow, who with vacant mind recites some empty formula,
traces a wandering sign in the air, and with palsied hand shakes a wand the while he gibbers his insanity at the yawning moon.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:56 AM #41 BoA BUGS v6.0

But if it loads corescendata and then the custom script, why would the grass be affected when I didn't do anything to it?

Unless... the game stores the fact that one was imported from another rather than actually importing the data?

A sample of my code:
Code:
begindefinefloor 254;
	import = 0;
begindefinefloor 0;
	fl_icon_adjust = 656;
Then I did the same for each cave floor as well as the cave water, and the hill terrains. To fix it, I also did the same to all the grass and dry ground but this time setting it to 0. I'm not sure if it was actually needed for the dry ground though - I just assumed.

Niemand Niemand

Hand of Avadon

• 2,138 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:34 PM #42 BoA BUGS v6.0

Despite the fact that sliths are consistantly described as resistant to fire, the slith, slith warrior, and slith chief have significant immunities to cold rather than fire as defined in corescendata. The 'cr_immunities 1' lines for those definitions should be 'cr_immunities 0'.
Possibly you suppose that [he] is a harmless fellow, who with vacant mind recites some empty formula,
traces a wandering sign in the air, and with palsied hand shakes a wand the while he gibbers his insanity at the yawning moon.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:20 PM #43 BoA BUGS v6.0

In a similar vein, the high priest and the archmage had no resistance to acid/poison even though the mage and priest did, and the archmage had resistance to magic but nothing else, and the slith avatar had no resistance to poison.

The way I'm seeing it is that if the basic slith is resistant to fire and poison, every type of slith should be resistant to fire and poison. This is not the case, apparently. smirk

Lazarus. Lazarus.

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,972
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:18 PM #44 BoA BUGS v6.0

Good job on the data fix over at the BF, but I just noticed that you import objects into the last slot, but don't actually import it back into the original. I think the proper way to do it would be
Code:
#  begindefinecreature 255; // Slith
#          import = 34;
#  begindefinecreature 34;
#          import = 255;
#          cr_immunities 0 = 50;
#          cr_immunities 1 = 0;
If you leave out the second import you're not really writing over creature 34... At least that's how I understand it. Does it work to do it your way?
"It's all that weiner kid TM's fault." -Nikki

Niemand Niemand

Hand of Avadon

• 2,138 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:37 PM #45 BoA BUGS v6.0

The second import is not needed, it is a deliberate feature that if no clear or import statement is used, values from previous definitions are retained. Examining the section of corescendata which defines items you will see this technique used often for related sets of items, for instance, the longswords.

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,773
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:38 PM #46 BoA BUGS v6.0

Back to the Sliths, in Avernum 3 the Sliths in New Formello were suffering badly from the cold as I recall.  They had resistance to fire but not cold.

The Loquacious Lord Grimm The Loquacious Lord Grimm

Deranged Subterfuge and Key Lime Pie

• Member ID: 4,290
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationA top-secret bunker hidden somewhere in New Jersey.

Posted 25 February 2008 - 02:00 PM #47 BoA BUGS v6.0

As noted   here , the Dread Curse skill removes one level of every skill, including, in appearance anyway, itself.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin thanks you.
Now get on with it.
-Lenar Labs
What's your destiny?

Soon.

Also, fanfic.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:37 PM #48 BoA BUGS v6.0

Hmmm... have we any other evidence of this? After all, it could be a scenario error... couldn't it?

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:59 PM #49 BoA BUGS v6.0

This is yet another documentation error:

"void set_name(short which_char_or_group,char new_name)
Sets the name of the character/group to new_name. Maximum name length is 19 characters."

The call set_name is not limited to 19 characters.  I was able to give the an innkeeper a name and a title:
"Thomas Wilner, Esquire, Innkeeper of Bobling".

I don't know how many characters can be in a name, I will have to research this.

Edit:
There is no word wrap, all characters in the name must be able to fit on the one line.  Letters don't have a fixed width, they are "proportional". Thus the number of letters you can use here depends upon their width, m is wider than i&&.  On average 40 or 50 can be fitted in?

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:48 PM #50 BoA BUGS v6.0

Presumably the limit is 255 characters, but it would of course be cut off.

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,786 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:14 PM #51 BoA BUGS v6.0

I don't know if this is common knowledge (been out of the loop in BoA for a while), but you can cause an Unhandled Exception in Windows if you erase a character who doesn't exist, even though you don't get an error if you do the same on a Mac.

I think this is the cause of some of those lingering UE's in Exodus. A player was finally able to help me track down one and isolate the problematic section of code. As soon as he verifies a fix, I'll have out a new version of Exodus that should fix at least some of the UE's.
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:25 AM #52 BoA BUGS v6.0

Yay! And the line "been out of the loop in BoA for a while" implies that you're back in the loop.

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,828 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:30 AM #53 BoA BUGS v6.0

Originally Posted By: Archmage AlNIK
Yay! And the line "been out of the loop in BoA for a while" implies that you're back in the loop.

Does saying that someone's been dead for a while imply that they're now alive?

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:20 AM #54 BoA BUGS v6.0

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Originally Posted By: Archmage AlNIK

Does saying that someone's been dead for a while imply that they're now alive?

It should.

Of course, with Kel's post also saying that he had been working on bug fixes, it's a fair assumption to make that he is working with BoA.

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,786 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:34 PM #55 BoA BUGS v6.0

I didn't actually set out to fix any bugs in Exodus. I just got a bug report from a player that was specific enough that I could easily locate the problem. And I guess Jeff's suggestion some while back about what causes UE's gave me a better idea of what to look for.

So I wouldn't get over-excited.
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:35 PM #56 BoA BUGS v6.0

There are problems with the te_can_look_at characteristic being hard coded (or whatever) for some terrain types.  See this topic:
http://www.ironycentral.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=116552#Post116552

Ephesos Ephesos

A God in Mote's Eye

• Member ID: 2,749
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:40 PM #57 BoA BUGS v6.0

The call change_spell_level() will show an update for NPCs learning spells, but only on Windows. Example:

"(NPC name) learned Fireblast at level 3."

...this only appears on Windows. On Mac, the text only appears if the NPC in question can't learn the spell due to insufficient skills.

Best way to deal with it (really, the only way), is to simply clear the text box afterwards:

Code:
	i = 0;
	while (i < 64) {
		print_str(" ");
		i = i + 1;
		}

Enraged Slith Enraged Slith

Revenge of the Slith

• Member ID: 27
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:09 PM #58 BoA BUGS v6.0

Does get_nearest_evil_char work for anyone?

Ephesos Ephesos

A God in Mote's Eye

• Member ID: 2,749
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:19 PM #59 BoA BUGS v6.0

I don't think that one works properly. I recall Niemand did some testing with it a while ago.

Revenge of the Slith

• 2,634 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:57 PM #60 BoA BUGS v6.0

Friends_nearby and enemies_nearby don't seem to be working either.

Smoo Smoo

Shaman

• Member ID: 3,503
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:15 AM #61 BoA BUGS v6.0

No, they work. I have used them before. The documentation is a bit unclear, though.

From the Appendix:

short friends_nearby(short range) - This can only be called in a creature’s script. Returns the number of characters within range spaces that the character can see and which are friendly towards the creature in question.

Boldness is my clarification. The same thing applies to enemies_nearby too, naturally.
My Scenarios. Rate them.
In fact, rate Quarhag Pass if you've played it.

Dintiradan Dintiradan

Eye of Argon

• Member ID: 4,273
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:23 AM #62 BoA BUGS v6.0

Just realized that the te_can_look_at bug isn't mentioned here. Basically, the attribute doesn't work as expected unless you use the slots mentioned by Ephesos here.

In other news, guess who just replaced fifteen terrain types that together covered three quarters of a dungeon?
^<@<: Pronounced exactly as it's spelt.
Design Tutorial (incomplete) | The Metagame | AIMhack Crack Pairings
Artemis (Planning Thread)
Last ten games. What have you been playing lately?

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:30 AM #63 BoA BUGS v6.0

All BoA Editors create new creatures with an Event of 0, ditto the clear creature function "void creature_start_type::clear_creature_start_type()" sets "attached_event = 0;".
Yet the documentation makes 0 one of the numbers for a regular event:
Event Calls
short day_event_happened(short which_event)
Returns -1 if the event which_event (which is from 0 to 9) has not happened, or the day it happened if it has happened.
void set_event_happened(short which_event,short what_day)
Records that event which_event (a number from 0 to 9) happened on day what_day (you'll probably pass what_day_of_scenario()) to this.

Then the Editor screen says that "Event Creature Linked To (-1 = none)". Best solution is to preserve compatibility with previous scenarios so I will change this to "(0 = none)".

Editor also allows you to give illegal values to certain variables in the monster editing screen like a hidden class of 330.

Revenge of the Slith

• 2,634 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:21 PM #64 BoA BUGS v6.0

The links in the OP no longer work, and I really don't know what the dialogue box error entails.  It sounds terrifying.

Also, the Sanctuary status is a bit wonky.  I'm not sure how it's exactly supposed to work, but sometimes you can randomly break through an enemy's sanctuary.  I'm not sure if enemies can target PCs with sanctuary.

Niemand Niemand

Hand of Avadon

• 2,138 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:30 PM #65 BoA BUGS v6.0

If you're referring to what I think you are, I luckily have a record of Kel's example. From the reference material I've slowly been writing:

"run_dialog also returns the number of the choice made by the player, with some complication: The number returned will be 1, 2, or 3, being one plus the index of the selected choice. However a known issue is that the code:
Code:
     reset_dialog();
     add_dialog_str(0,"1, 2, or 3?",0);
     add_dialog_choice(0,"1");
     add_dialog_choice(2,"3");
     print_num(run_dialog(1));
     //code example by Kelandon
will actually print '2' if the player selects the choice whose label is "3". This can be a tricky pitfall, so if your dialog setup process if using logic to decide which choices to display, test carefully that the return values from run_dialog are what you think they are in all cases."

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:42 PM #66 BoA BUGS v6.0

Not too sure what Enraged Slith means by OP, if he is referring to yet another dead web link, see my post on the Wayback Machine. (This "machine" may resurrect a dead link.)
Dead Link Necromancy

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:31 AM #67 BoA BUGS v6.0

OP means Original Post(er), so he's referring to the first post in the thread.

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:34 PM #68 BoA BUGS v6.0

Thank goodness for the Wayback Machine, this should be the link to the original article:
Original article by Kelandon
Yet another glitch, the problem seems not too bad. A workaround should be easy enough.

Revenge of the Slith

• 2,634 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:51 AM #69 BoA BUGS v6.0

Certain stat increases don't work on items.  For instance, neither dread curse or willpower will change.

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:46 PM #70 BoA BUGS v6.0

Health and Spell Energy are not changed via item special abilities, it might just be a case of secondary skills generally are never changed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users