What tool do you use to assist?

Abraxx

What tools do you use to keep track of your scenario plot, puzzels, conversations and all their ramifications etc?

I assume the advanced scenario designers among you must have some little trick, tips and tools (like excel sheet etc)

at hand. Maybe you can share those here smile

cheers

Abraxx

While I can hardly call myself an advanced scenario designer... I use Word to keep track of SDFs. I also use Word to edit scripts (but the default TextEdit to read them), and I use Photoshop and ResEdit to work with custom graphics.

Just for kicks, my SDF flag notes are in this format:

0 0 1 party has eaten the pie 2 party has eaten two pies 3 party has eaten three pies

0 1 1 party has entered Big Room

0 2 1 party has seen Big Monster 2 party has killed Big Monster

0 3 250 party has seen message in front of creepy altar

I have tons of notes on paper including lists of SDFs, names of all NPCs and their locations, lists of where all services are and prices, custom graphic sheets, lists of special items, special class items, detailed maps, timelines of history and events that have occured, and solutions to the harder puzzles (so I don't forget).

Of course, my scenarios are typically on the HUGE side, so most designers probably don't need all this.

I use an ancient program called Writenow 3 to keep track of SDFs. (It opens fast but it's more versatile than Textedit.) In my experience, keeping track of SDFs is vital if I use them more than three times (which I do...)

I've used Appleworks (the spreadsheet is similar to excel) to make a table of the Blades of Exile items. I use that when I need a lot of custom items and/or have to put a lot of items into a different order.

I scribble some notes on papers, too. Especially the general ideas in the beginning. And I map them. If the scenario making project is big, I draw a map of the more detailed plotline(s).

I also keep track of where spells and recipes are sold and other minor things, mostly ideas about what could be cool...

Some monster graphic sketches I've drawn on paper first. I use another ancient program, Superpaint 3, to make my custom graphics.