A Slightly Different (and much worse) Graphical Problem in Leopard

Technoctopus

Before I say anything, I would like to say that I have read the thread earlier about the graphical problems caused by Leopard, mine seems to be both different and worse. I just bought the newest generation of MacBook and much to my dismay found that the load screen as well as the rest of the game is completely garbled to the point where it is unusable. Using command+n to create a new game showed that this problem was not just with the loading screen, but with the entire game, making it completely unplayable. Is this a fixable problem? It is much worse than a few lines. Here are some screenshots to give you a better idea of my problem:

the load game splash page

gameplay screenshot

Anybody else run into this problem? I'm worried that it will happen in A5 too.

Quote:
Originally written by Technoctopus:
It's a full version, I tried redownloading it, which didn't help. Then I deleted the prefs and tried again to no avail.
I've seen a similar problem with Avernum 4 on my new MacBook with Leopard. I tossed Avernum 4 on to play a bit before Avernum 5 was released. My problem seems to be in between what you describe and the lines described in the previous thread. I downloaded the latest version from Spiderweb when I installed it - and there were no preference files since it was a clean install on my new computer.

The problem I had developed into something very similar to what your screenshots show - the longer I played the worse it became.

Bummer ... one of the first things I *always* put on a new Mac are the Spiderweb games I own. I hope the problem is sufficiently simple enough new builds can be made of the Avernum series.

Jeff is hoping that Apple comes out with an update to fix the problems. In the mean time he's working on getting Avernum 5 out this month so it works with Leopard.

He may have to port all the graphics files to a different format and then have testers go through to see if all the graphics work. I think he's hoping to avoid this.

I've got a few odd colored lines when I boot Avernum 4, I've reinstalled the game as well. Hopefully it's fixed soon as I need to hit the A4 for a refresher before A5. I haven't installed 10.5 on my MBP yet so I may just play it on there, I hadn't installed yet because GroupCal hasn't been updated for 10.5 compatibility yet, what I was grumbling about I may now soon be happy about.

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
Jeff is hoping that Apple comes out with an update to fix the problems. In the mean time he's working on getting Avernum 5 out this month so it works with Leopard.

He may have to port all the graphics files to a different format and then have testers go through to see if all the graphics work. I think he's hoping to avoid this.
Well if he needs someone who has this problem I could be a guinea pig for him.

I'm not experiencing any issues with A5 on 10.5. It is running smooth for me, and so far the story is solid. The Dock turns wonky after quitting but running the mouse over them turns them back. My parallels seems to do a similar thing.

A4 is continuing to give the corrupt lines across the screen.

Specs.

2.33 ghz Core 2 Duo iMac

Radeon x1600

3GB Ram

10.5 Build 9A581

I have the very newest model of MacBook, here is my System Profiler data:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MB31.008D.B00

SMC Version: 1.24f2

Serial Number: W87440NL0HC

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Graphics/Displays:

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x0003

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Display Connector:

I have tracked down the problem. It appears that this MacBook is the first Macintosh in, well, ever that does not support Thousands of Color mode. This is really messing my games up. They run in Thousands of Colors mode for a variety of good reasons (chief among them being compatibility with older machines).

I am working hard on a fix, and it should be out in the near future.

- Jeff Vogel

We have put up on our site a temporary test update for Avernum 5 v1.0.1. This new version runs in millions of colors mode, will work on new Macbooks, and gets rid of the annoying corrupted dock problem. It can be downloaded, until v1.0.1 is out, at

ftp://ftp.spiderwebsoftware.com/temp/Avernum5v101test.sitx.bin

Feedback (including just saying that it works fine) is welcome at spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com.

If you have an older Mac that can't handle 1024x768 resolution at millions of colors, getting this version is a bad idea. We do plan to leave v1.0 available for people with old macs.

- Jeff Vogel

I don't have any information relating to Avernum 5 or new computers that don't support 'thousands of colors' mode, but I thought that this might be a good place to comment that I've found that Blades of Avernum seems to run fine under Millions of Colors: I've been using a second monitor with my laptop, and though BoA keeps setting the laptop screen to thousands, it works perfectly on the other monitor which is set to millions.

If I may ask, why do the games run in thousands mode, when the point with supporting older computers is that they really need thousands mode or higher ? We've had no problem with the 3D editor running in thousands or millions of colors, as it just asks Quickdraw to select color depth automatically. Is there some reason that coupling this with a check that the color depth is at least 16 bits won't work?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the 1.0.1 fix working so well on Avernum 5, are there plans to do the same thing with the other Avernum and Geneforge games? I just checked A4, and it's currently still suffering from the lack of thousands of colours on my Macbook. Is it lots of work to recompile for millions? Is there work underway on a more "correct" fix, I suppose one which would make a single game playable on both older and new Macs?

Whoops, that's quite a lot of questions, I didn't mean to ask so many. Thanks for your time.

Jeff announced in his newsletter that Avernum 4 and 5, Blades of Avernum, Geneforge 4 and Nethergate: Resurrection will get upgraded. No word on the older games.

There are test versions of the upgrades available, but some have minor problems that will get corrected before they become official. You could try downloading them from the different game forums and see if they work better on your system.

"If I may ask, why do the games run in thousands mode, when the point with supporting older computers is that they really need thousands mode or higher ? We've had no problem with the 3D editor running in thousands or millions of colors, as it just asks Quickdraw to select color depth automatically. Is there some reason that coupling this with a check that the color depth is at least 16 bits won't work?"

The games did run on 1000s of colors mode or higher. I put in code to make sure they wouldn't die on those machines.

The problem is that in Leopard Apple broke a bunch of Quickdraw stuff, which meant that the code I put in to ensure the games would run in a machine not in 1000s of colors mode no longer functions correctly.

So, at the heart of it, it's really a Leopard problem. At any rate, I will be releasing official working versions of the games in the next few days.

- Jeff Vogel