What is the name of the Avernum world?

Quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:
Aran and I have been able to reconcile the Exile and Avernum timelines and worlds - what in particular are you referring to?
Drakey, we've had this conversation at least twice before.

Among the things we came up with: the dates given for the order closing the school in VoDT are different in BoE and in BoA. In Avernum, the war with Grah-Hoth was forty years before A1, while in Exile, the same war was apparently longer prior to E1. The list goes on.

Quote:
Originally written by Puerperal Fever:
The Exile series refers to the native language of humans as being English a couple of times as well (a note in the nephil fort in E1 and an obelisk in Vahnatai lands in E2). Don't know if this was fixed/changed for the Avernums.
There was also a Spanish person in Exile I.

Quote:
Quote:
The Exile series refers to the native language of humans as being English a couple of times as well (a note in the nephil fort in E1 and an obelisk in Vahnatai lands in E2). Don't know if this was fixed/changed for the Avernums.
What identified him as Spanish - is the word "Spanish" actually in the game?

Doing a search in this forums brings up this

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~kks/index.html

I know there are some annotated maps somewhere, but I can't seem to find them. I've seen them for the entirety of Exile/Avernum and then for Valorim as well. Outside of Valorim, locations get fuzzy and exact positions tend to be difficult.

If you think about it for a while, you will realize that in a pre-space technology era, it does not make one bit of difference to the inhabitants (who are the ones inventing the name) whether they live on a moon or on a planet. :rolleyes: Especially given that they quite possibly still believe their world is flat and supported by a giant tortoise.

---

However, living on a moon with a very slow rate of rotation (like our moon, where night and day last two weeks each) would explain why one can cross a continent on foot in around two days. :p

Quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes.

Also, for maps, I have the following maps of three of the four continents: http://ryan-thompson.home.comcast.net/pralgadmap.gif
http://www.sitemouse.com/users/drakefyre/Vantanas.gif
http://www.sitemouse.com/users/drakefyre/valorim.gif

I'm pretty sure that the geography is determined, browsing through some of the old seasons of the alongside RP to the BoX Arena might give a tenative grasp of locations for the various continents. (Or at least as determined by the fan base). The world isn't entirely explored though of course... so an entire map would be difficult to construct.

As for the moon theory, a planet can turn slowly as well as a moon. Take Venus for example.

How we strive to put a face of reality on even our worlds of fantasy. We seek to wrap an imagined land around a real globe. We see faces and familiar objects in random ink blots. We instinctively recoil from the abstract and the unknowable. It's just a bit curious, doncha think?

This has been...

Random Wry Observation #537b.

Quote:
Originally written by Deep Sleep Therapy:
Yes, but if a planet took 5000 hours to turn like Venus does, finishing Exile 3 in 100 "days" would take a lifetime for the PCs. :p
Well yeah, but it could be a compromise between the two. I was just illustrating that it didn't have to be a moon to turn slowly. wink Perhaps 200 hour days, or somewhere from 200-1000.

*pokes the happy fun ball*

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally written by Arancaytar:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Yes.
There is also an Asian woman camped outside the crypt in Exile, in the same outdoor section as Motrax's Lair is in.

Well, it doesn't seem to take 200 hours while walking around outside! Or does it? Some of those distances outdoors are pretty screwed up.

How many months are there? Suncome, Icefall, Leaf-fall, Empire, Radiane, Rememberance, Frost, any more? And don't the months generally have 40 days?

Quote:
Originally written by Deep Sleep Therapy:
Yes, but if a planet took 5000 hours to turn like Venus does, finishing Exile 3 in 100 "days" would take a lifetime for the PCs. :p
100 days!!!i finished A3 in about 30 days!! well, with my rushy way of ignoring minor quests, but that are for the ending, when you have nothing else to do.
an why do you think that there is an altered time measure in "ermarian"(what a stupid name) anyway?

• 2 weeks later...