A Great Series, And . . .

First of all, I'd like to say that Avernum 3 is a great game, and I fully expect that the first two and Blades of Avernum will follow suit (I got them all on CD-ROM quite recently). While I was playing Avernum 3, the Xian Skull made an oblique reference to the Fallout series of role-playing games (a long-time favorite of mine; I still play them to this day), and Avernum comes quite close to matching the fun factor of the great and holy Fallout. Fallout had more attitude and atmosphere, and it was certainly prettier, but Avernum has a lot of depth and a much larger world.

Anyway, Avernum 4 was actually the first Avernum game I played, but I left it to start Avernum 3 . . . and I have to say that Avernum 3 is a better game than Avernum 4. I believe the Geneforge engine does detract from an Avernum game, because Avernum 3 seems to have a lot more variety and depth. In 4, you can't make your own potions, you can train automatically and for free, there are fewer character models (which don't match the portraits), and it just seems more barren in general.

That's not to say it isn't fun. I'm sure I'll go back to 4 eventually, but I don't think the Geneforge engine does it justice.

It's fair to say that there are others here who think the same thing, and there are others who disagree. I personally think that the A4 engine was, ultimately, not an improvement.

If you like A3, have fun with A2, which has much the same engine, probably a better plot, and a rather smaller world. And definitely be sure to check out BoA, and not just the four scenarios that come with the game, but the user-made scenarios available for download on the Spiderweb site.

i agree A3 offered so much more to the player than A4

A4 high brid made me want to stop playing only a few min into it

In genforge it was alright because it was real time (when not in combat mode) and ur people actualy moved not just teleported from spot 2 spot

A4 engine is just the worst of both worlds

I haven't started playing A4 yet. But the more I read about it, the more I come to a conclusion, that I don't want to spoil my attitude to Avernum series. So maybe I should just skip it?

In a thread, dedicated to possible Avernum 5 plot I posted an idea, which came to me once as a good one for a small scenario. I had an incredible bewilderment knowing that the same was the main idea of A4...

Hmm. I guess it was a good idea for me to start playing from the very beginnng - read from Avernum 1 - instead of continuing my beloved Avernum trilogy to trilogy++.

Quote:
Originally written by IT .:
And it was just an experiment so if enough people say it's bad they'll probably switch it to the avernum engine
I highly doubt this. Jeff likes the new engine, and seems to be dead-set on getting it all to work. If he follows through on the stuff he's brought up in the A4 forum, then it could be very good stuff.

Instead of making a new post, i'll just reply in here.

I recently played the A4 demo, and thought it was brilliant. I just had a lot of fun with it. Something I haven't really had since the old Ultima days. I love the look and feel. I bought it last night and and still really enjoying it.

Now, will I be able to go back and buy 1-3 and have fun playing them? Will everything be spoiled for me?

I suppose the same goes with Geneforge as well.

I guess, since I really like A4, i'd just like the options of "more" being available, without feeling like ive been spoilered already by completing this one.

Well, I suppose I am mostly referring to the storyline and plot of the first three. Will things like these be given away as I progress through 4? I already know in A4 that there used to be a dragon that was killed. Say, if he happens to exist in A3, and somehow the final encounter is you vs the army trying to kill him - I already know what happens.

If you get at what i'm trying to say.

Quote:
Originally written by Philthy:
Well, I suppose I am mostly referring to the storyline and plot of the first three. Will things like these be given away as I progress through 4? I already know in A4 that there used to be a dragon that was killed. Say, if he happens to exist in A3, and somehow the final encounter is you vs the army trying to kill him - I already know what happens.

If you get at what i'm trying to say.
If you have any intention of playing A3, stop reading these boards NOW. smile

I am quite serious about this, because it's impossible to avoid finding out the main villain of A3/E3 if you read enough threads here. (Including General and BoE subforums.) A4 will completely spoil A3's ending too. Since A3's plot depends so strongly on mystery, the game loses a lot once you know who the bad guy is.

This isn't the case with the other two Avernums, because it quickly becomes clear what your goals are and the following games simply assume that you've accomplished your goals. So the main argument against playing them out of order is that Jeff improved the engine with each game, so going back to A1 after A3 might be a bit painful.