Soul Crystal Contents (Av2 & 3)

I believe I have finally found some good creatures for my soul crystal:

1. Rakshasa

2. Ur-Basilisk

3. Gaddika

4. Haakai

The problem is, both the Haakai and Gaddika seem to have the same amount of spells and very little difference between magic resistance. Which should I replace and with what should I replace it? I am in the Ziggarut, which has plenty of Spawned Fungi.

And I'm keeping the Rakshasa. Magic immunity is invaluable.

Any other Soul Crystal advice is welcome.

I'd personally keep Gaddika, just because it's more fun to summon an old enemy to fight for you.

As for replacing the haaki, I'd go with a Shambler or a Spawned Fungus, personally... those pack a punch and have some nice immunities.

I didn't know you could capture a Rakshasa, though. I thought their ridiculous magic resistance prevented that. Then again, I suppose I just remembered it incorrectly.

• 2 months later...

I know this topic is VERY old, but a new question has come up. I just had a Simulacrum Limoncelli battle a Dervish, and well...Limoncelli didn't do much before he faded.

So, the new question is...should I replace Limoncelli with a Dervish?

edit: Perhaps resistances could decide this. Could anyone list them?

Behold! The topic rises once again!

Okay, now I'm a bit of a ways into Avernum 3, and I have the following abominiations' souls trapped in a Soul Crystal:

1. Alien Slime

2. Drake

3. Demon

4. Basilisk

Since I'm currently retrieving the Orb of Thralni, most of these guys are pretty good. But, the Drake and Demon have the same spells, both have good resistances and hitpoints. But, which one has more hitpoints and which one is a better spellcaster?

I could find out the hard way, but it would take a while to find both, so I'm wondering if anyone here already knows.

General Advice:

If you still have the Alien Slime, lose it. The creature is pathetic. Maybe replace it with a Giant Slug?

Drakes, Demons, and Ogre Mages serve about the same purpose. Rather than having more than one slot used for basically the same creature, you may want to just keep one of the fire-immune (Demon/Drake) creatures and get something good at taking melee damage (Golem/Dervish)

Basilisks are actually pretty weak. You'll probably want to pick up an Ur-Basilisk as soon as possible; I don't remember for sure, but I think the higher SP cost is worth it.

Drakes are actually a bit vulnerable to fire damage.

Well, I also captured a Troglodyte Khazi, but they mostly just use Priest spells, even though I think I've seen they have some Mage spells (I'll go check that out). Anyway, I've also seen that Ogre Mages are immune to Ice damage (or at least awe-inspiringly resistant), but the ONLY creatures I've EVER seen that use Ice damage are (Ice and normal) Drakes breathing cold, and Baby Dragons using Ice Lances? So, the Demon really IS better for a Mage monster, isn't it?

Anyway, I'm going to go find a Dervish.

I think that Khazis could cast up to Divine Retribution... granted, it wasn't very good in A3.

Ogre mages are incredibly inferior to demons. Of the two, demons have far better resistance to magic and fire, and demons do some impressive melee damage.

I can never remember... are rakshasi immune to all levels of Capture Soul or not?

In A2, I managed to capture a Rakshasa with Capture Soul 3. So, I believe it is possible in A3. I wonder if they're immune to slowing in A3, too.

Well, I'm now going after Elhioc. Can his soul be captured?

Oh, and is it worth capturing the soul of a Spine Beast? There are still some around who have teamed up with ogres.

Quote:
Originally written by St. Ashby the Martyr:
Quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:
Go for a Dark Wyrm instead, though that'll take a while to find. Spine Beasts have a very uneven record in melee, in my experience...
There's some Dark Wyrms in the Giant Caves, so this should be an opportune moment.
Dark Wyrm is a great villain, but only when fighting with you, because there are only 4 persons. Fighting a group of monsters with more than 6-7 magic-posessing creatures decreases the advantage of Wyrm with his single shooting. Compare it with Haakai or Drake Lord I choose the last. Summoning and multidamage spells (like fireblast, etc.) are much more effective in a tough campaign. For me, leastwise.

Just a few more questions...

Ok, I currently have...

1. Empire Dervish

2. Troglodyte Khazi

3. Demon

4. Dark Wyrm (needed to use editor to had endurance to ge this little nightmare)

However, I'll only replace 2 and 3. Perhaps someone could tell me about the quality of...

1. Rakshasa (I know I'll get this one. But who will I replace?)

2. Demon Golem (should it replace the Demon? Or should I go for resistances and melee more since I already know every spell except Cloud of Blades?)

3. Lich

Particularly, I would like to know resistances, since all three are fairly rare. I already know Rakshasa are immune to magic (Except a healthy Capture Soul)

In other words, 7 potential souls. Any recommendations?

Oh, and WHERE do I learn Cloud of Blades?

Rakshasa are immune to Fire, Ice, and Magic damage. They also manage to cut down just about every melee creature, so go for it if you find one.

Demon Golems are like Demons, but without the weakness for Repel Spirit and Ice, if I'm not mistaken.

Liches aren't that great. They're undead (and so resistant to ice) but they're also vulnerable to Repel Spirit. The only thing going for them is their higher spell levels, I think.

You can learn Cloud of Blades L3 in Blackcrag, according to my hintbook.

EDIT: I thought you could get Cloud of Blades L3 from a Stone Circle, but it would seem you cannot.

• 5 years later...
Originally Posted By: Zephyr Tempest
Behold! The topic rises once again!

Okay, now I'm a bit of a ways into Avernum 3, and I have the following abominiations' souls trapped in a Soul Crystal:

1. Alien Slime
2. Drake
3. Demon
4. Basilisk

Since I'm currently retrieving the Orb of Thralni, most of these guys are pretty good. But, the Drake and Demon have the same spells, both have good resistances and hitpoints. But, which one has more hitpoints and which one is a better spellcaster?

I could find out the hard way, but it would take a while to find both, so I'm wondering if anyone here already knows.

I'm not sure which is more powerful, but if I were you I'd replace one of the two with an eye beast, those can do priest spells. Maybe replace drake with drake lord (if you're powerful enough to) and demon with eye beast, that way you have an extremely powerful mage and a good balanced mage/priest unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is probably what I want to make my soul crystal have:

Haaki Requires level 2 capture soul. This rare demon can be found on it's own using ritual of sanctification in spider cave. Already got it.

Dark wyrm (Level 3) Absoulute ownage. It has a range attack that does over 100 damage, and has similar effects to divine retribution. If target doesn't die on first hit, it can do this twice. Same goes for its series of close range attacks, it can do 2 series of close attacks if target doesn't die.

Got it.

Drake lord (Probably 3) Easy enough to find one in the demo. That one is the only one I've found but not killed.

Alien slime! (Level 1 or 2, not sure.) Killed it, but not before taking it's soul! I have this weak one purely for fun.