I'd go with the Mithral Sword and Fury Crossbow. +1 AP is, in my opinion, the best ability you can get on a piece of equipment. The Black Halberd is strong, but it doesn't give you an extra attack to work with.

—Alorael, who has no idea about A1. He can remember that he didn't use Demonslayer much, though. It's great against demons but really nothing special in other circumstances.

In A1, the flaming sword does pretty well, and you get it fairly early in the game. Surely, demonslayer is better against demons, but not against other enemies. Make sure to collect smite (a halberd or pike) before doing the giants quest, as the additional damage to giants is good. Otherwise, the best halberd is the blessed halberd. Early in the game, stick with a fine slith spear.

Does it holds for all avernum games that crossbows do twice as much damage as normal bows? That holds fur my current A1 game, even though my crossbow-wielder is less skilled than the PC with the normal bow?