AAAAAAAGGGHHH!!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!

Zephyr Tempest

FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS, MARY AND JOSEPH WOULD YOU PUH-LEEZE SHORTEN THAT!!

BIG POSTS ARE BIG DONGS

KTHXBYE

Honestly. I have no idea what's wrong with your precious machine. In the future, however, do not write words like "AAAAHHHHetc" that fill up more than the browser size and stretch the post.

yep, it's definitely time to format your computer.

and i agree with TM. extreme frustration does not merit excessive exclamation which occupies more horizontal area than that of 1024x768 resolution.

EDIT: oh, and how can i forget about the inability of 11-year-old boys to keep their computers 'clean' and 'efficient'? i'm referring to the software BTW.

Zephyr: Do you ever run scan disk, disk cleanup, disk defragmenter? How much available space is on your hard drive? Do you add and delete stuff a lot? It sounds like you need to try a little computer maintenance first. If that does not work, time for the old reformat and start over.

I saw it coming. So - don't panic. I cannot count the times I've crashed my damn computer, before I learned to handle it. You are still able to boot. Save everything you specially want to keep, on floppy or burn CD-Roms. That done take a heart, get the help of someone who knows how to do it and is willing to show you and format and partition your HD. Don't wait too long. It will get worse, if you don't take action.

Zephyr, it's time-consuming, but it is also fun. Everything is so clean and fast and new afterwards. You'll see.

It's already been getting worse. If my computer doesn't want to do something, it sometimes says that it ran out of hard disk space. Once, my compter said only 1.26 megabytes were left, but the chart said 1.26 megabytes were used. Something is definently wrong with my computer. MAN, IT'S STUBBORN!!!!

-Did I mention, I only have about 500 megabytes left, but adding up all the games on my computer, it doesn't take up all that space my computer claims it does. Wierd. NOT AGAIN! NOW my computer says I only have 348 megabytes free!

Would I need to tell you people about my computer? I've had to reset it many times, and I know it's settings.

Zephyr: You cannot just "add up" the games on your computer to figure this out. Remember windows takes up space as does many other things you are not seeing. If you have not run disk cleanup you may even have hundreds of megabytes of temporary internet files.

You definitely need to clean up the hard drive. Do you have anyone in real life who can help you? Before reformatting I would try to do disk cleanup and scandisk and then defrag and see what space you have left. You should leave some space open on your hard drive to serve as swap file space. If you really do have only 348 megabytes open that would account for the slow down you see. Also, you can uninstall some programs you do not use very much to free up space.

Before you make yourself too crazy do some maintenance! If all the steps above do not improve the situation then reformat and start over.

John

I only have 0.05 megs of temporary internet files.

Perhaps I really need a new computer, with much more space, and more tham 300mhz. That would be great, because I want several gigabytes instead of just 3.99 gigabytes. My dad's computer has over 30gigs and around half of that 30 is unused! And my dad's computer has 1000mhz! I would really want a computer like that!

games really don't take up much space on the computer, especially if you know how to maintain it. i'll talk about my computer and give a little advice:

- i have 2 partitions: a larger main one, running on Win2k English, and a smaller backup partition running on WinXP Chinese. trust me, dual-OS helps, i remember half a year ago when i deleted some dll's on Win2k by accident and couldn't boot at all. luckily for me, having a second OS allowed me to back up my stuff on CDs before formatting the computer.

- i've used up about 8 GB out of 25 GB on my main partition so far. even for a big-time gamer like me, my games only take up 3.5 GB. (my entire HD is 40 GB)

- if you have limited RAM like me, maximize its efficiency! i have 256 MB RAM (trust me, this isn't a lot for a gamer). disable all the task bar icons (the ones on the bottom right) you don't need.

- download Ad-Aware from download.com and scan your HD and RAM with it. trust me, this helps. the first time you run it, you'll never expect how much spyware and crap is clogging up your HD and memory.

- run a virus scan on your computer once in a while (i do it once a week), or better yet, set scheduled scans. make sure the scan pattern is constantly updated tho.

- clean up the HD! depending on how large your HD is, if you have so little space left, chances are you don't need two thirds of the crap on it! decide what you don't need, and delete the stuff (don't just delete to Recycle Bin, delete the stuff altogether!)

- if nothing works, i'm afraid formatting is necessary.

hope that helps.

I have Sophos Anti-Virus, it kills at the first sign of a virus, but something keeps getting past, something big, and deadly. Sometimes my computer's free space just drops to nothing for no reason. Other times, it refuses to do something, then starts doing that something(Definently not natural for my computer.)sometime later. Other times, files just dissappear and new files appear without reason, like Xupiter did on my computer. This might just be the beginning.

Anti-virus software is not perfect. If you think you have a virus as bad as the one you state it may be time for a reformat. As for your computer, I only have a 233 with a 4 gig hard drive and I have plenty of games on it. You need to clean them out every now and then. Also, uninstall when you have the option don't just use the delete key.

It really does sound like time to reformat....especially if you are suspecting a virus. Oh! Make sure you update your virus protection software on a regular basis. There is always a new virus out there so you need to keep your software up to date!

John

64 megs of RAM is just fine for normal stuff. If you are trying high end games it may not be enough. First of all, your computer uses free space on your hard drive as swap file space. I always try to leave at least 900mb free just for that. I have taken off games I do not play very often and put them back on when I am finished with one. Although your system specs are low compared to today's standards, they are just fine to do many, many things. My laptop is only 166mhz with 80 megs of ram but I still find plenty to do with it. I play Avernum on it, geneforge, nethergate and a few other games and I use it for M$ Office (excel, access, word).

RAM is cheap so it is not a bad idea if you have the $ to get some more BUT that will NOT solve your other problems. Your main problem is the hard drive. If you have a virus, reformat if you cannot kill the virus. If you think it is virus free, do the other steps everyone has advised you to do. After this is done you will see a marked improvement in performance. Then get more RAM if you think you need it.

64meg Ram may slow your computer's performance, but do not make files disappear. By definition anti-virus-scanners do not show trojans. For that you need a special program.

But: if you delete too often without proper uninstalling, you lose a lot of tiny dll-files after a while. Programs which need those files have to do without and come up with all kinds of queer reactions. Your directory gets messed up and doesn't understand orders any more.

It's no big thing, Zephyr. I wouldn't trust people who never crash their systems, they must be rather unimaginative. I remember well what happened when I started to play around with BIOS. Thank God for friends who come at 3 o'clock in the morning to save and heal your precious baby.

Yes I am aware of that (age=11) which is why you've been asked more than once by Kyna and then by myself if you had someone in real life to help you sort this out (which you have yet to answer). Only so much can be done in this forum, which is only advice at that, to help you sort this out. Have you asked your Dad?

I have tried to help you as I have seen more than one post from you asking for help/advice on computer issues. There is nothing anyone here can do for you except offer advice. What you do from there is up to you. You can complain about your computer all day long and half the night all you want, but until you actually do something about it, it will still not work right...your choice.

Visiting some websites and/or clicking the wrong things can download all sorts of junk. Beware of that; read and don't click too fast. You can change your security preferences in internet explorer which helps a bit. The internet is a blast but there are some nasty folks out there that make your life miserable.

[Edit] Do you go to sites that offer game cheats and cracks? If so, they are notorious for adding all sorts of junk to your machine without you noticing. As Ef advised--get a firewall.

As Felwynne already said those game sites for cheat codes have lots of nasty little pop-ups that can give you all kinds of surprises. Something like that must have happened. You can download spybot which will probably solve this problem at least. spybot

The download section is at the bottom of the page. Removes spyware and trojans.

As for blocking malicious "Cookeis," you can also try this:

Assuming that you're using IE 6.0, go to Tools->Internet Options-> Privacy.

Change Settings to "Block All Cookies."

If a website that you ABSOLUTELY have to use and it uses Cookies to store username and password (e.g. Hotmail), lower the defenses to "Medium-High" for that site.

Don't forget to add the following to the "Web Sites" list under "Privacy" (if you're not sure whether the web page where the cookies are coming from is a .com or a .net, simply add both):

doubleclick.net

gator.com

fastclick.net

hitbox.com

valueclick.com

xupiter.com

(Set ALL of them to "Always Block.")