Starting/Early Scenarios?

solistus

Hey all,

I registered BoA last night and received my code today. I promptly pulled my party out of the demo campaign (levels 4/4/4/5) and decided to start with Perfect Forest, as it is the best-reviewed starting campaign.

What other campaigns for low (1-20) level characters are particularly good? I'd like to download some more scenarios, but there are so many to choose from that I don't know where to begin. After finishing Perfect Forest, what other scenarios should I try out?

I'm assuming you've played the three scenarios that come with the full version? Because if you decided to skip them, you're missing out on something - especially A Small Rebellion.

Besides, after you finish DwtD, your party will be ready for high-level challenges like Bahssikava or Canopy (both masterpieces).

After APF you could try Lord Putidus. After which you should be a high enough level to start TM's low level scenarios like Emerald Mountain or Mad Ambition, or one of Ephesos' earlier level scenarios like Shades of Gray or Embers of Rebellion. Roses of Reckoning, Babysitting, Settlers, The Empire's New Grove, and Witch Hunt are all level 1 scenarios as well. They're all quite short, but if you find TM or Eph's stuff to be too hard you can beef up there.

Of course if you play through the 4 prepackaged scenarios you'll be able to play just about any scenario. Za-Khazi sucks, but as Aran noted ASR is quite good. Or you could just forget about party advancement and play Frostbite. :p

Also realize that you can use Kelandon's High Level Party Maker to level up a new party to whatever level you want (find it here ). In fact, I rarely 'beef up' in scenarios, as Lazarus put it. I use the HLPM unless I'm playing some sort of series.

EDIT: I disagree, Lenar. Getting certain artefacts shouldn't be a prerequisite for scenarios. Like people saying not to attempt Bahs until you have Alderage from Canopy. I shouldn't be forced to play in any order, unless it's a series.

--------------------

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.

- Steven Wright

Of course, Dintiradan left out the fact that "Beefing up" involves acquiring the specialized artifacts and custom items that can be found in each scenario.

Fortunately, if you feel like taking the shortcut and using the High Level Party Maker, there is the scenario called the Artifacts Hall, which contains all of the custom items found in a good deal of the currently available scenarios.

Both of these scenarios can be found at the Scenario Database , along with every other known playable BoA scenario ever made.

I would recommend against taking an experienced party into Lord Puditus, on the grounds that Kel's inventive scripting promptly permanently strips all of your spellcasing capabilities. In fact, I would recommend skipping over it altogether for a short time, so that you can become more familiar with the BoA game mechanics and potential strategies before diving into it with a fresh party. Lord Puditus, though rated Level 1, does require some deeper strategy consideration than most scenarios.

But don't ignore it. It's a good example of BoA as an art form.

EDIT:

--------------------

The Silent Assassin chastizes me for forgetting to consult him before adding this post.

He believes it only fair that I take the blame for the paint splattered onto that random Porche sitting across the street.

Thanks for the advice.

Call me old fashioned, but I'll stick to "beefing up" legitimately. Half the fun is working your way up from nothing.

I'm already hitting 7 in the first area of A Perfect Forest, so I think I'll be ready to take on a level 10-ish scenario by the time I'm done. I've got a good idea of what other scenarios to check out now; thanks!

I have to admit, I did create an 'uber' party of Ninjas to mess around with. My main party is going to be editor-free, though. I want to make it as powerful as I can without using the editor or lame scenarios that give you lots of stuff for little or no work. It's my first main party, so I went with the basic fighter-archer-mage-priest party.

Quote:
Originally written by Lenar:
I would recommend against taking an experienced party into Lord Puditus, on the grounds that Kel's inventive scripting promptly permanently strips all of your spellcasing capabilities.
No. After a few of the initial complaints, I released an update that gives the skills back again in the end. Still, you're supposed to play the scen with a default party.

And it's Putidus.
Quote:
Originally written by solistus:
Call me old fashioned, but I'll stick to "beefing up" legitimately. Half the fun is working your way up from nothing.
Bear in mind that some scenarios that are designed for HLPM parties.

Ouch. On both counts.

I guess I still have the outdated version :p .

My Apologies.

--------------------

The Silent Assassin really thinks that I deserve to take the blame for that Porche incident.

I don't see why he keeps saying that. It was the neighbor's kid messing around with his paintball gun. I watched it happen.

• 5 months later...