Pyrog's cave, stuck getting in

I tried to enter Pyrog's Cave from the north (via the boat in Empire Docks) but I get this message: 

“You enter the tunnel in this gate only to find a sheer granite wall.  You search for the secret passages, but the wall is too large.  If there is a way past this wall, you won’t be able to find it without help.”

From a review of this forum I understand I need to 1) find the evidence of the crystal souls at Fort Dothar; 2) take it to Olgai for advice how to enter Pyrog's lair.

I have already done all that.  I went back to Fort Dothar and the cabinets with the evidence are empty so I must have taken them on my first trip there.  I went back to Olgai but one of the guys just said talk to Ericka, which I already did.  I went back to Ericka and she only spoke about Angierach not Pyrog.

Now, I am stuck trying to enter Pyrog when I think I have met all the prerequisites.

You might have talked to the wrong Vahnatai or missed the right dialogue option, there are three of them. You need to keep trying until you get the message about them consulting maps to tell you how to get inside.

The one about Erika is on the west and I think you need the one on the east opposite the one you talk to.

Hello jeffreywilens,

All that you should need to do to get in to Pyrog’s Cave is to pick up the papers in Fort Dolthar and report to Elohi-Bok. He’ll then give you the information you need to find the secret passage. The other pointers you mention (Erika and Solberg) are references to other quests; Olgai is the central point for all of the vahnatai quests, so it can be a little confusing separating out which bit of information relates to each quest!

It sounds like you might have missed picking up the right set of papers in Fort Dolthar. If you have the papers with you, Elohi-Bok should always mention Pyrog’s Cave at this stage, even if he only reminds you how to get in.

There are several sets of papers in Fort Dolthar, and it’s easy to miss the one that you need. You need the information that directly refers to the crystal soul, and not just to the vahnatai. The papers are in a slightly different place in this remake compared to the original Avernum 2. Which cabinets are you checking? Have you tried checking in other important places on the upper level of the fort?