Resolution and HUD Size

I have a question about the size of the HUD in Avernum: EftP and Avernum 2:CS. When I see screenshots of the game, it looks like this. Small HUD, huge game world. But when I take a screenshot of the game, it looks more like this. Notice how much more cramped the screen is, with the character roster almost touching the UI at the bottom.

I'm playing at full-screen, 1366x768 resolution (which is the resolution of my laptop screen). How do I tweak the game to look like it does in the first screenshot? Is it a mod? Or is the resolution set to the maximum that my laptop allows, and that's just how it is?

Thanks.

I believe that the HUD does not scale in the same way that the world does.  I suspect that this might have been deliberate to ensure that the HUD portions are clear no matter how small/lo-res a display that you are using.  So unfortunately, to get the look that you want, I believe that you will need to play on a higher resolution/larger screen.

I have a laptop with the same resolution. On occasions when it's not hooked up to my large TV as a second monitor, I have to keep the automap and party list minimized. If you click on the circle in the upper left corners of each of those, it will compact them into just a bar or open it back up.