G5- Who Is the Player?

I've looked around on the forum and searched it up but I can't find a thread discussing who the player character is? I know there's ways to find out like talking to that one shaman lady (forgot her name and where she is, I'm about to play G5 for the first time in at least a year).

Edited by Arcanum

Do you want minor spoilers? (Like where she is?)

In the Dera Reaches.

Do you want major spoilers? (Like the discussion of who the player is?)

We don't learn in the game. That witch doesn't peel the veil. There are theories from us but there is no confirmation in the game.

As a note, I've made a mod for Shapers\Lifecrafters to give my personal answer to the question. Check my signature if you want.

Edited by alhoon

Officially... nobody has a clue who the player is.

Unofficially, here are some things to consider.

1. The player, when using the Geneforge in the Foundry Core, learns that he's used a Geneforge before. There have been only 3 Geneforges in canon usable by humans, which are A. the Sucia Geneforge, B. Southforge, and C. Northforge. Obviously, it's not the Sucia Geneforge since, according to canon, the G1 PC destroyed the Geneforge without using it. This leaves the other two. The Northforge was practically unused, since the northern rebellion was always mostly creations, and the Drakons pretty much took over Northforge Citadel for their Unbound project. The Southforge was dismantled when the rebels abandoned Southforge Citadel. However, the PC must have used one of these. Since it had to have been one of these Geneforges, clearly the PC was a rebel. The PC was also extensively reShaped, which indicates a position of authority or raging kleptomania (*cough* PC *cough*). This basically limits it to post-Geneforge 3, since reShaping of humans was performed directly or with canisters. Obviously, therefore, not G3/G2/G1/etc. player characters.

2. (Spoilers) Assuming you can trust the sage in the Dera Reaches, you were an important figure in influencing the destiny of the world (something about being a lynchpin...) Therefore, since for some reason it's always coming down to you, a totally untrained newbie, to save the world, it seems to imply that it was a PC or a character extremely important to the plotline. Combined with rabid reShaping and Geneforge use, I'd say it comes down to this:

(Highly unlikely) Geneforge 3 PC: Although it's possible that this is the G5 PC, it's highly unlikely, because the rebel Geneforges did very little aside from make you able to use Shaper powers. There would be no reason for a PC who had already attained a great many canisters and was probably reShaped by Akhari Blaze to use the Geneforge, assuming it'd just not kill him.

Geneforge 4 PC: Used the Geneforge, needed to use lots of canisters in a more logical (i.e. not powergaming) storyline, and critical to the fate of the rebellion. He'd certainly fit.

Master Jared: Presumably used the Geneforge, definitely used an INSANE number of canisters, and was important to the protection of Northforge and assisting the PC in gaining powers. So, probably another good fit.

Anyway, that's probably as good as you're going find here. Have fun.

The other name that gets tossed around a lot in this speculation is Shaper Monarch (from G4).  There are basically zero discrepancies with such a fit.

A sub-theory would be Shaper Monarch, who is also the Geneforge 3 PC.  This is speculative but it is one possible interpretation of the comments Greta and Alwan make about their former companion, when they are in G4.

26 minutes ago, Huey, Dewey, and QE said:

The other name that gets tossed around a lot in this speculation is Shaper Monarch (from G4).  There are basically zero discrepancies with such a fit.

A sub-theory would be Shaper Monarch, who is also the Geneforge 3 PC.  This is speculative but it is one possible interpretation of the comments Greta and Alwan make about their former companion, when they are in G4.

I would think it's unlikely that someone was able to use the Geneforge with anyone knowing. Keep in mind, everyone who used the Geneforge had to be extensively prepared to not get killed by using it, and even those who were sometimes died. Remember, neither rebels nor Shapers knew who Monarch was (though the theory that he was the G3 PC makes some sense, and it is perhaps possible that Litalia knew who he was), so I think it unlikely that he used one of the Geneforges. Just a thought.

Also, uh... interesting daily new name.

Hmm thanks for all of the information! Given that there is no definite answer I personally like the theory that the character in G5 is simply the canon character of G4 continued.

Has anyone made a thread/post/blog about the story of the Geneforge series, i.e. the plots of G1-G5 with all of the important characters and plot devices etc.? I'm asking because the Geneforge wikia and wikipedia pages are woefully unfinished and I'd love to do it except I've never played G1-G2, it's been at least 8 years since I've played G3, and I haven't had the time to explore everything in G4-G5. I just think it'd be cool so that anyone can read all the lore behind the series if they jump into G3 immediately since I don't think anyone new would want to play G1-G2 given their graphics and stuff.

42 minutes ago, TheKian said:

There is my (in-progress) lore thread summarizing the story and important components of Geneforge.

http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/23839-thekians-geneforge-lore-thread-spoilers/

Awesome! Thank you very much and please keep working on it, you have my and other people's untold gratitude for your work! :D

It's very hard to come up with any theory that matches all possible classes. There's an argument for the G5 PC being Monarch, but the PC can be a servile, and Monarch isn't.

—Alorael, whose personal theory is that the G5 PC was a moderately powerful but not particularly noteworthy rebel until Rawal got his hands on the poor soul. The PC isn't someone who went through Sucia-style Geneforging and isn't someone of endgame PC stature because he or she could, in the end, be taken down by sufficient pile of mooks.

4 hours ago, Huey, Dewey, and QE said:

Wait what?
Monarch could be the GF3 PC? But he's very old and has been in Sucia island...

Kian: Only 3 geneforges are mentioned in canon (which makes me wonder... no Geneforge in Geneforge 2? :confused: But the Takers are promising me awesome power to dwarf the Barzites! Are they lying? (Cause Barzites mass produce canisters so if it's just canisters it's the same or less...) And if yes, why is half the gf2 stepped in deceit?

GF5 char being unimportant: Meh, the GF5 character lost his mind first and then got caught. Also, a lot of people leave hints they knew the player.

A new theory I just developed is that GF5 character could be a sorceress because the art shows a sorceress. So, perhaps (OK, we're crossing to improbability now, but it's not impossible), GF5 character is a Reshaped Agent Miranda. We see her dying in GF4 but we also see Alwan dying. GF5 Alwan mentions that she died, but what if she has survived, Vader-like if you want (not that Alwan survived in much better form) and was extensively ReShaped by the Drakons until she escaped and lost her mind (or vice versa).

I base that on... nothing except the art. But it is an intriguing, and improbable (but not impossible) theory.

9 hours ago, alhoon said:

Kian: Only 3 geneforges are mentioned in canon (which makes me wonder... no Geneforge in Geneforge 2? :confused: But the Takers are promising me awesome power to dwarf the Barzites! Are they lying? (Cause Barzites mass produce canisters so if it's just canisters it's the same or less...) And if yes, why is half the gf2 stepped in deceit?

As I said, prior to Geneforge 4, the rebels directly performed reShaping. In the case of Geneforge 2 (slight spoilers), there are Shaping platforms where the head researcher for a sect directly reShapes you to become extremely powerful (lets you learn the most powerful spells etc.). In Geneforge 2 and 3, there are Geneforges, but they can only be used by Drakons (with hilarious results when you try to use them).

Also, just about Barzahl... I mean, I think the game mentioned that the Guardian statues in front of the Radiant College are supposed to be of Barzahl. Obviously he's just playing Shaper. Most people aren't entirely deceitful in G2.