Avernum 5, Shanker's Tower

Randy

Usually to get them mad you have to committed a crime like stealing or attacking a friendly character.

Two ways to make them friendly are to leave and return much later in most games or to use a cheat code:

Hold Shift and press D to get the prompt, then type in the following:

pleaselikeme - Makes all of the areas in the game forget your crimes. If you were hated there, you won’t be anymore. Note that certain crimes (stealing artifacts, killing major characters) won’t be forgotten.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. Just find an empty container. :)

Thanks, Randomizer.

I haven't even landed on the island yet, so I'm not sure how I could have upset them so.  There are so many powerful creatures on every face of the island my characters are dying the moment we get off the boat.  I wondered if Shanker had a friend on another island that I killed or something.  It makes no sense that they should be mad before I've even arrived.

Unfriendliness is "zone" based -- basically the map is divided into a (really huge) grid.  So if you attacked a friendly character or stole something somewhere in the general vicinity of Shanker's Tower it could anger everyone there.

When we say attacking a "friendly" character, friendly is a technical term.  It means a character who isn't attacking you yet.  If you attack a scripted NPC who is about to attack you, but they haven't finished their dialogue yet, sometimes that counts.  But any time you do this, the game will pop up a little box saying "Are you sure you want to attack a peacful NPC?" or something.