Exile 3 tileset.

Furman

I'm dabbling game coder and I want to take second attempt at writing a roguelike game (first attempt went pretty advanced, but source code quickly start looking terrible, so I decided to start again with new project, hopefully this time I learned a bit from my mistakes). One of my all time favourite games are Exile 2 and 3. My question is: now since original Exile series is freeware, does anyone know status of graphics (tileset) used in Exile 3? I tried to search whether this subject has been discussed on forums before, but it seems it doesn't. Can I use  Exile 3 graphics/tileset in my game? Of course Jeff Vogel and Spiderweb Software would be fully credited. Or should I ask Jeff individually about his permission? 

The Exile Trilogy graphics that were included with Blades of Exile are available under GNU GPL 3.0+, along with BoE original graphics. The ones that weren't (blue-green cave floor, etc.) are entirely owned by Spiderweb Software, says the artist who made them, Andrew Hunter. Jeff has not gotten back to me on whether he wants to release them under the same license. I suspect Jeff doesn't like me as much as I like him and he doesn't seem to want to bother with BoE in general. You can try to email him if you want, or you can use the graphics included with BoE. The Open BoE project has a number of additional graphics (some by yours truly) under the same license. There's a pretty decent set to work with there, even without the Exile Trilogy-only graphics. Just be careful because we may or may have included the additional trilogy-only graphics (I forget if CM committed them to the current build yet) on more of an assumption that it's OK than an explicit permission.

Short answer: The Blades of Exile graphics from the original BoE source release can be used for whatever you want, since Jeff release them under GPL. The Exile Trilogy graphics that didn't make it into Blades of Exile (blue cave floor, a few grass tiles, the stone wall, female merchant, green merchant, and a few others) are pending approval from Jeff. I was going to ask him about them again at some point.

I don't know. The cave floor changed to white, the walls became slightly less blue and changed shape, slightly different trees, rocks, and stone brick walls, totally different stone floor rune, and other stuff that seem like minor, unnecessary changes. Possibly the cave floors changed because in VoDT and ASR, there are caves which are not in Exile and therefore wouldn't have the glowing fungus. The rest, I don't know. We've included all of it in OBoE with Mr. Hunter's blessing, although as he points out it's really Spidweb's blessing we need, since the graphics were sold to Spidweb for a lump sum.

2 hours ago, The Almighty Doer of Stuff said:

We've included all of it in OBoE with Mr. Hunter's blessing, although as he points out it's really Spidweb's blessing we need, since the graphics were sold to Spidweb for a lump sum.

I haven't actually committed that to the repository yet.