Board Software Upgrade

Alorael at Large

We're going to be upgrading to a newer version of the forum software (IPS4) in the next few days. One quirk of the upgrade is that usernames are going to be replaced by publicly displayed names (PDNs, the name that's visible to everyone). You can log in with that, and continue to change it if you want; you will also be able to log in with your email address.

This is a warning. If suddenly you find that your username doesn't let you log in, try your email address or PDN. And if you have problems with that, contact the mods/admins.

—Alorael, who also expects the usual new-software bumps and rough edges. Speak up if there are any issues. This thread will eventually be pinned, but for now it won't be so that anyone whose eyes just skip over pinned threads will notice this in a timely fashion.

3 minutes ago, The Almighty Doer of Stuff said:

All I see there is "Privacy Policy". I'm guessing there's supposed to be a drop down box, but I don't see one, and there's nothing in my profile or account settings for themes either.

aaaa they are currently set to mod only while we work out kinks but i guess they're not very kinky anymore so

I've spent the last two days working on the "Compact & Convenient" theme.  The main goal is to use screen real estate better than the default theme, which can fill a large monitor with three one-sentence posts.  It's also become a UBB throwback because, well, doing that made things surprisingly agreeable-looking.

I'm not 100% done so if you see anything that looks weird, or have any suggestions, definitely pass them on.

I just switched to spiderlicious just to make things a little different.  I will probably switch back to default in a week or so.  There is a lot of wasted space in default, but I prefer it to the C&C, because it seems prettier to me.

Also, it seems harder with the new software to ignore posts in certain topics (I happen to not be interested in GF).  I figured it out, but it was harder.  Also, the ability to see the list of members seems to have gone away as well.

Edited by Edgwyn

Spiderlicious 2 and C&C both use roughly the same color scheme, but the shades are slightly different. Is one closer to the classic UBB scheme than the other? Anyway, I'm using C&C. It is swell. One thing I notice is on Spiderlicious 2, the text in the upper-right, with the notifications and profile options, are white on light gray. Not easy to read. C&C adds a red box behind it.

Actually muted red, white, and muted blue are kinda Americaish. I'm pretty certain none of the themes use actual, official Old Glory Red and Old Glory Blue, but somehow the new themes remind me more of the American flag than the previous version did. Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

I copied the blues and grays in C&C straight from PPP, so they should be identical.  The maroon I copied and then made a little lighter -- it was used in narrower spaces there and the effect of big patches felt a lot blacker than it had before.

Most non-color changes (like adding that box behind the icons) are CSS and Javascript edits, unfortunately, and not just ticking off a box.

I'm going to try not to think about the potentially patriotic colors.  I was going to say that maybe your avatar made it seem extra red-white-and-blue -- but then I realized that I, too, have a red and blue avatar. :/

There are a limited set of colors to use that provide good contrast without seeming glaring and the red, blue and green colors that are being used are pretty good.  Once a topic has enough posts, green appears more than the red and blue do.  The scheme simply uses the basic RGB colors.  

Of course red, white and blue give you the USA, UK, Russia and French flags in addition to probably 25% or more of all the nations in the world (thanks to the UK).

3 hours ago, Edgwyn said:

Also, the ability to see the list of members seems to have gone away as well.

I just found a way to do it via the search function:

http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/search/?type=core_members

The display is sort of heinous, unfortunately, so you're probably better off using the search function to narrow it down.

6 hours ago, Edgwyn said:

Of course red, white and blue give you the USA, UK, Russia and French flags in addition to probably 25% or more of all the nations in the world (thanks to the UK).

The USA flag in particular uses particularly dark, muted shades of red and blue called Old Glory Red and Old Glory Blue. The other countries' flags tend to be a bit brighter IIRC.

20 hours ago, Shut Your Eyes and said:

I just found a way to do it via the search function:

http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/search/?type=core_members

The display is sort of heinous, unfortunately, so you're probably better off using the search function to narrow it down.

Thank you. I don't do it often, but I do like to periodically look at the list.  The sort by function gives several options to arrange the, admittedly long, search results.

• 1 month later...