Map Completionist, yea or nay?

Rhinestone Jedi

Map Completionism  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a map completionist?

• Yes, I want to uncover everything possible
    • Yes but just on the first playthrough of said content
    • Mostly but I might not bother to come back to an area I couldn't access earlier in the game
    • I might not uncover an area that I suspect nothing worthwhile is there
    • No, not at all, just what I need to to progress.

I was wondering how many people who play Spiderweb and similar games are map completionists.

I was thinking about this the other day, because I'm many hours into my Avadon 3 playthrough and still not finished with the game. It's taken me quite a long time to finish pretty much all the Spiderweb games. I almost obsessively uncover every piece of map I possibly can, going all the way back to my playthroughs of Exile 3 in the 90s. I could finish the games a lot quicker without doing this. And it's tempting because I want to get through the story quicker, but I feel much more satisfied when I've taken the time to uncover everything... even if I had to battle zillions of bats/rats/chittrachs/etc and even caught myself cursing in some of those Avernum caves when I discovered a trap door leading to yet another sublevel... I went and uncovered every drop. And then when I got the Orb of Thraalni, go back everywhere to make sure there's no little nib that I've missed... and so forth.

Does anyone else play these games this way?

Geneforge needs that because Jeff likes to hide containers so they are barely visible using his isometric systems with walls and hedges hiding them.

Avernum 4 where there no light sources had lower levels with black bodies on blackish floors. Very hard to see until you hit them.

I think perhaps my one small exception, a nuance I forgot to include in the poll, is rooms behind locked doors. I'll save the game, use my lockpick(s), and if there's nothing I wanted on the floor/chest/etc in that room, I'll reload, sparing myself that lockpick, and technically leaving that room unexplored.