Corrupted files, cannot launch, cannot delete. (A:EFTP)

spidwebfansince1998

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Avernum Escape From the Pit\Avernum Files\Scripts

contains two corrupted files, textdocs.txt and zonetemp.txt

I have tried everything to delete and reinstall Avernum but they won't disappear with anything I've tried. Malwarebytes file assassin, safemode, cmd prompt, etc. nothing works.

I noticed avernum started having errors while playing so attempted to reinstall and discovered these two files that would refuse to be deleted.

When you say "they won't disappear" do you actually mean

1) You can't find a way to delete them

2) You can delete them, but they reappear (and are corrupted) every time you install the game

3) You can delete them, but they reappear (and are corrupted) every time you RUN the game

When you say "they won't disappear" do you actually mean

1) You can't find a way to delete them

2) You can delete them, but they reappear (and are corrupted) every time you install the game

3) You can delete them, but they reappear (and are corrupted) every time you RUN the game

I cannot delete them. All attempts to delete them usually results in "Error 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

One work around solution I can think of is if I installed Avernum in another folder (currently in my steamapps/ common directory) but I do not know how to do that through steam without moving my entire steam library.

If you don't have a recent backup of your hard drive, I suggest you back up your most critical files before you do anything else.

Unfortunately, that error (and the fact that you can't delete the files) suggests it isn't just the data stored in the files that has been corrupted, but the catalogued metadata that allows your hard drive to know where the files are, how big they are, etc. This can be a potentially serious problem. You may be able to fix it (e.g. by cleaning the registry or using a hard drive repair utility). But back things up NOW just in case.

If you don't have a recent backup of your hard drive, I suggest you back up your most critical files before you do anything else.

Unfortunately, that error (and the fact that you can't delete the files) suggests it isn't just the data stored in the files that has been corrupted, but the catalogued metadata that allows your hard drive to know where the files are, how big they are, etc. This can be a potentially serious problem. You may be able to fix it (e.g. by cleaning the registry or using a hard drive repair utility). But back things up NOW just in case.

Alright, I'll do that. Thanks. Luckily I have a spare HDD on hand.

I've managed to fix my drive and remove the corrupted files. While I still plan to replace my HDD I tried to reinstall Avernum, it's working now however when I try to talk to many NPCs I get "Talking Error: Dialogue script broken or absent." I tried to verify my game files through steam and it stated that everything is present and correct.

I'd like to be able to get it working but no huge loss if I can't. I'll just have to wait until I migrate my drive.

I don't know how you can get that error but have Steam say everything verifies -- their help page even claims it will turn up a one-file error simply because a configuration file has options set not to the default. Which I guess points again to something weird going on with your disk. Or, I guess, a virus? I dunno. Either way, this definitely is not an experience other people have been reporting.

• 1 year later...