Sosaria (My first game)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic
Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:36 PM #36 Sosaria (My first game)

Just so others know, Remington hopped on IRC, where I have been helping him out.
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Remington Remington

Citizen

• Member ID: 18,796
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:46 PM #37 Sosaria (My first game)

Yes he's been giving me lots of advice, I would have been lost long ago without all you guys :)

So I got into the OBoE Editor finally and I love it. But I'm very frustrated at the same time, I finally got my character selection type node to work in LBoE...so I setup the node the same way in OBoE but it seems its bugged or the "Absent" status doesn't work the same way for some reason. So I tried for hours for the right node chain to force the player only to play 1 PC again. The only way I have found so far is to stick them into my 2 space box room where u can only go south on a node that is (Select PC extra 1a-2 *specific*, Extra 1b-5 *it picks the 5 PC member in the party* then Deleting that PC. Any other selection I choose the player could cancel the menu which would mess it up or it just didn't work as far as I know. So I rinse and repeat those steps 5 times until the player only has the first PC in the party, The rest have been deleted and as far as I know you cannot bring them back in the character editor (which is good :) ). I have a warning at the scenario/node start warning the player about this. This is not exactly how I wanted to set it up, but its the only way I could find. I'm looking for a better way to do this! I also have it set up to where there not in the first town so they can't -Create PC's in town- still. ANDDD I'm now looking for a good way to switch out characters 1 by 1 or storing them and bringing out ones of there choice..I have no idea how to set this up as I dont get the storing/unstoring PC's (please help the guide seems vague to me). If all else fails Ill make Prefabricated PC's to join you that might leave at a certain point or something and you could even have monster PC's on your team which sounds fun :) (I know there is the summon spell) any suggestions/ideas would be awesome

The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,415 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:36 AM #38 Sosaria (My first game)

If you're having success with the editor on Win10, Remington, I'm baffled. Maybe we can work together with CM to figure out why it's so borked for me. I'm on the development team but only in a non-programming role. My duties include testing, troubleshooting, and notably, improving Bandit Busywork without disrupting the integrity of Jeff's writing too much. I cannot improve Bandit Busywork if I can't make the scenario editor work though. :(

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:52 AM #39 Sosaria (My first game)

If the absent status worked at all in LBoE, I believe that was a bug in LBoE - it was never documented and as far as I know, no-one ever actually used it.

I guess it's good that you got something working (though I'll note that attempting to make your method character-editor-proof is still going to be futile, since there's no guarantee the character editor won't gain additional abilities too). If you delete the characters, there's basically no going back if I recall correctly, so if you want to let the player switch out their character, you'll need to use the store/unstore mechanism. Assuming it works as it should, that means you need to do the following:

• Reserve 6 SDFs to store the party's unique IDs.
  • Store each of the PCs.
  • To unstore, set a pointer to point to the SDF that stores the PC you want to unstore.
  • Then use the pointer value (a negative number) as the PC ID in the unstore node.

I don't think it's possible to use unstore without pointers, unless the unique IDs of PCs are predictable... which they might be, I can't remember.

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Remington Remington

Citizen

• 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:15 AM #40 Sosaria (My first game)

So if I reserve a PC's SDF is it saving the exact PC's stats and such? I'm hoping that the player can select through the party that they created unless this is what's happaning

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:24 AM #41 Sosaria (My first game)

It saves the entire PC, including stats, inventory, status effects, etc.

Remington Remington

Citizen

• 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:24 AM #42 Sosaria (My first game)

oh cool, im going to try this out soon and see what happands

Remington Remington

Citizen

• 17 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:44 PM #43 Sosaria (My first game)

Hey I just wanted to ask since using OBoE and I'm back to focusing on custom textures in my game, I heard there wasn't a limit to how many you can add in, so how does that work? how do i get to the next page?

EDIT-nvm I think i found it.. you just scroll down more in the terrain edit page :)
(So i guess my question now is, what is the new limit to the number of different customs and the limit to how many different kinds on a map if there is one?)

The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,415 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:25 AM #44 Sosaria (My first game)

If there's a limit, it'd be many digits long. Effectively there's none either way. Same goes for items, monsters, towns... I think CM still put a hard limit on outdoor maps but I'm not sure.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:48 PM #45 Sosaria (My first game)

The limit is somewhere in the vicinity of four billion (or to be exact, two to the power of thirty-two), so there's no danger of running out. This applies both to the number of types and to the number of things placed on a map.

I think the limit on outdoor sections and towns hasn't changed (yet).

Remington Remington

Citizen

• 17 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:48 PM #46 Sosaria (My first game)

So I finally got more time to mess around with making my game and getting the Node for switching single PC's out. I finally think I got it working on OBoE now after 80+ lines of code! I have it setup kinda the same way as before, deleting all PC's except one, then once you leave the stairway to the first town, you will never be able come back to the initial starting place. I then have 6 special spots setup on the map to un-delete all PC's and then delete again but the second PC and so on. I dont know a shorter way of doing this without problems. I tested to see if I killed a monster, getting exp, then switching to another PC and back. It seems the exp saves just fine. I still hate the fact that It drops all the items off the PC's on the ground but I have placed a non-movable storage chest so they can store items before switching :)

Posted Image

EDIT-I was wanting to ask about some ideas about adding a good "weapon/armor craft system" the only thing i could think of is making NPC's accept a certain amount of items in exchange for the weapon etc. the materials/items could be dropped off of monsters or I thought about even making special spots that start a battle with one monster like a "iron golem" or something with a lot of HP but no attack, so think your mining them like ore, they will be easy but take some time as most games now basically just use a system where it just takes like 30sec+ or so to get those materials. So what does everyone think?

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:18 AM #47 Sosaria (My first game)

Another way to do a crafting system might be to give the party "recipes" which are in fact usable special items. The recipes check for the presence of the needed ingredients and then take some and give you the item.

I guess you didn't go with the "store/unstore" method for the PCs?

Remington Remington

Citizen

• 17 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:06 PM #48 Sosaria (My first game)

That's awesome! the recipes thing is a great idea Ima use that. Also Is it possible to have a weapon/armor "break/broken" type mechanic so that it will not work anymore or disappear from there inventory that you know of off the top of your head? I wanted possibly add a durability system in :)
and Yeah I never could figure out how to do the store/unstore thing. I tried for hours but I still dont get how it works. Whenever I did anything with it I just got a PC with a blank name and 6hp. I guess its really just the store part of it. I know they go into a SDF but where and how do i check this?

Thaluikhain Thaluikhain

Shaman

• Member ID: 6,345
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:02 AM #49 Sosaria (My first game)

Bit late to this (and yet to make any scenarios myself), but:

Yeah, I'm one of those people who tended to ignore those "this scenarios is designed for  specific level or specific save file" warnings.  Nowdays, though, I just tend to use the editor more when I get stuck.  I tend to play for the story, the grind is just something along the way.

Speaking of grind, I'm not a fan of big, multi level dungeons, at least not when you are exploring them thoroughly.  I go in, clear a bit out, take all the treasure, go to a nearby town and sell it and come back.  In a big dungeon that means I have to keep commuting to work through bits I've already cleared out before I can get to the new stuff, and that gets annoying.  Likewise, friendly towns where it's inconvenient to reach whoever I want to talk to.

In general, I'd recommend playing a bunch of BoE, see what you like, see what you don't.  Commonly people wanting to make a scenario for the first time were told to make something small and get it done, but there was also the idea that your first scenario (or, in my case, my first dozen and counting) won't be finished.  So make it as big as you like, try out weird and wonderful things, learn how to do things, and this will help after you've given up on that one and start the next one.

Especially the custom graphics, lots of fun making those, and the stuff you don't use for one scenario can easily be used for another.

(Actually, should go back to working on mine at some point)

EDIT:  Oh, another advantage to short scenarios, I might actually finish them.  If a scenario gets too long and starts to drag I generally won't give up as such, I'll save the game and maybe come back later and forget about it.  This could just be me, though.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:20 PM #50 Sosaria (My first game)

View PostRemington, on 18 April 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

and Yeah I never could figure out how to do the store/unstore thing. I tried for hours but I still dont get how it works. Whenever I did anything with it I just got a PC with a blank name and 6hp. I guess its really just the store part of it. I know they go into a SDF but where and how do i check this?
Well, it's also an experimental new feature, so it's possible that it just doesn't work properly yet... >_> I'll try it out myself sometime, and if it works I'll let you know how, and if not I'll fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users