Remakes question

I'm currently playing the Geneforge games, but I plan on getting these as well, since I've really been enjoying those games. A question though, if I play the latest remakes and then go back to 3-6, will I notice any significant difference when I get to those games, as in, will the older sequels feel more dated in comparison (not graphics-wise)? If so, I'm considering playing the original Avernums 1 and 2 instead. Any suggestions?

Second Avernum trilogy, Avernum 4-6 use a different map type where the world is continuous going from towns to world with no breaks. This make the world seem smaller since in the Eastern Gallery the towns are almost next to each other.

The latest remakes, Avernum 1 and 2, use features found in the second Avernum trilogy like battle disciplines, the job board and caches that were added in Avernum 3.

Every game has changes with features added or changed in response to players of the previous game. Spells get changed and some mechanics like identifying items get easier. You get used to them. Personally I find the differences between the Geneforge games more striking.

If you play the remakes of A1 and A2, you will notice a difference with A4-A6 but it won't be too drastic. (Well, you might notice a drastic difference in the quality of the story, but that has nothing to do with remake status ;)

A3 is a different story though -- as the original A1-A3 trilogy predates the A4-A6 trilogy by many years and uses a much earlier engine. Many of us still enjoy them, but it is much more of a departure from modern SW games. The A3 remake should be out later this year, so unless you are dipping into ALL the old stuff, I'd consider playing the others first and waiting for the A3 remake.

Based on the responses, it seems it will be best to play the newest versions, and then 4-6. If 3 is coming out this year, that's great. I can definitely wait.

I have absolutely no problem playing older games, but it can be a bit jarring to jump from a more modern remake to a more dated sequel, which is why I was initially considering getting the original remakes.

The differences between the Avernum 1-3 and the A 1 and 2 remakes isn't as jarring as going back to the original Exile versions if your computer can play them. Exile games had a much greater spell list, 6 characters instead of 4, and more limitations on equipment you could carry because of fewer slots.

There's not a big difference between 6 and the new games. 4 handles action points differently so that one will probably be a more awkward transition. I'm not clear on whether the original trilogy was like 4 or like the later games, since I went from the Exile trilogy to Avernum 4 without ever playing the original 1-3, although I'm playing the remakes now.