Powergaming G2?

I just finished the first game (Guardian, Tricky, Obeyer {that last one sort of left a bad taste in my mouth, to be honest}), and now I'm playing the sequel, this time as an Agent on Torment. I've found Medab and confronted Zakary about the illegal Shaping going on, though I've made no alliances just yet. I keep dying, but I am making headway into the lands surrounding Medab. Agonizingly slow progress, but progress. Still, I'm sick of feeling so weak and helpless. Anyone willing to spare a few tips on how to powergame, or just to be more effective in general?

As an agent you burn through spell energy so move up slowly, kill a few, and retreat through the cleared area. Otherwise you get swarmed and die, repeatedly. Staying hasted or using crystals for an extra attack helps too.

Eventually you build up intelligence and battle magic so you can kill things quickly at a distance.

Parry. Yeah, I know you're an agent not a guardian so it costs slightly more. But Parry. That skill is basically the definition of "powergaming" in G2 and you should be investing in it. You want to get it up to 18, which you can do by by raising it all the way yourself or stopping at 16 and then finding a certain cloak and pair of gloves that each boost you one more point.

Quite a bit more -- between the increased cost, the points the Guardian starts with, and the free point from Shanti, it's around 25 skill points extra for an Agent to get that high: IIRC the total cost for an Agent is around 79 skill points. While possibly worthwhile, that really interferes (especially early on) with pushing Mental and/or Battle Magic as high as you need to really use the Agent's whole potential.

Personally, I think you are better off focusing on magic skills. It's true that Parry is broken; shaping is still very, very strong as well, so there's an argument to be made for pumping Magic Shaping at the start and keeping a few cheap but powerful Artila with you. But in those cases you are basically playing as a gimped, less effective Guardian, or a gimped, less effective Shaper. By going solo and relying on the full potential of Daze and similar spells (rather than 88% damage reduction on top of regular armor), the Agent actually ends up with a distinct and interesting (and effective) approach. If you really want to go nuts with the overpowered skills like Parry, I suggest just picking a different class.

So I agree with Randomizer: haste yourself ahead of all combats; then use mental magic and terrain to make sure the odds are always in your favor.

Strong Daze ftw. At least as ridic as Parry but way cheaper in skillpoints. And iirc you can get it really early by joining Zak and buying it from that botany shaper.

Mind, neither of these is needed to easily beat the game on torment, speed and initiative (QA+Dex) is enough for that.