GF1: What level were you when you completed the Crypt?

Hi, I just joined the Spiderweb Forums to ask about a series I've had for a while, but only recently started playing: Geneforge.

I played the demo for the first one years and years ago (probably when I was 10) and I remember enjoying it a lot, so I bought the series on steam a year or two ago. Now, I've just started getting into it and I have over 80 hours logged on the first game (in just 1 playthrough!)

So, my question arises; what level were you when you completed the Shaper Crypt and Inner Crypt? I just completed these areas, holding onto the skin of my teeth on Normal with a level 18 Shaper (he was level 20 by the time I got out of there). My int was around 10 and I had 12 in all three of the 'general' stats, and my magic shaping was 13 while the others were 6. I ended up blowing 2 entire defense rods, 1 and a half attack rods, and some of my special spores.

My "arsenal", if you could call it that, was an Ur-Glaahk, 3/0/2/2, and 3 Searing Artilas, 0/3/2/2. I felt like I was severely underleveled, so what was the level Mr. Vogel was aiming for when he created that area? Was I on target?

The correct level is whichever one allows you to complete it. :D But seriously, there's no "official" level threshold. The crypt is an endgame challenge, though, so I would guess mid-to-high 20s was the "expected" level for players to tackle it. So yeah, "severely underleveled" sound about right. ;)

Good (or maybe not so) to see my suspicions are confirmed. I've finally completed the game as a Shaper;

I ended up killing Trajkov and leaving Goettsch to claim the powers of the Geneforge for himself. I had no clue just how powerful he'd end up being.

I completed the game at level 20, the same level I exited the Crypt. Are you sure mid-to-high 20s was the appropriate level? I really couldn't find a whole lot of places to earn experience from; even some of the tanky monsters, like Battle Gammas and Cryodrayks, were only giving me single-digit to very low double-digit experience.

I believe the theoretical level limit in Geneforge 1 is 31, but it's pretty much impossible to get there without exploits. Low 20s is a pretty solid endgame level. Ultimately, the Shaper Crypts are designed to be extremely difficult optional challenge areas, and the bottom line is you found them hard because they're hard.