Warborn Arena

Californian

I'm in the area of the Warborn Arena, have entered the gated area and the gate is closed behind me. I can't open it. Also, the gate that apparently goes to the Arena is closed and I can't open it. I have killed the two titans that guard it. I've won all the battles rather easily so far, but now I'm faced with the whole camp full of ogres, including the Seer Dreath and two other seers, and I'm getting slaughtered.

I managed to isolate the Overseer ogre and killed him. OK. But now I'm faced with the whole camp, and I just have no chance against them.

I have two tinkermages and a Blademaster. I can't make a dent in the crowd--They kill me before I can get more than a couple of turrets up. I'm using my wands on the crowd, but their seers keep healing them and slaughter my party before I can make a dent in them.

Other than the isolated Overseer, I have yet to kill an ogre.

Is there a way out of that area? I cannot win the battle, and my game is apparently going to end here unless I can find a sneaky way out, which so far I have not found.

Is there a way around these guys or am I going to have to go back to an earlier save? Thanks!

You probably will go back to an earlier save. This is a one way dungeon where you need to fight your way to the end and face progressively harder fights until you reach the boss titan. There are only a few fights that you can avoid and most of them would have required forming an alliance back in Goldcrag.

This area is pretty much a good place to use consumable items like potions and wands since you need to kill them fast and with area attacks. Turrets are less effective for attacks and you need them less. You might try a different Hand for your second Tinkermage or changing the abilities.

Tinkermages attacking with area effect scarabs are more effective than using most turrets since the monsters rarely attack near the turrets and instead do long range attacks to your party.

Taking out healers first is a good option so they won't heal the rest.

Good luck.

Thanks Randomizer! I had hoped that I might be able to isolate parts of the crowd and take them out that way, but haven't figured a way to do that. They stick to their group. I always go after the seers first, but these guys too strong. I can't make much of a dent in them before I'm dead.

So yeah, sadly, I'll have to go back to the autosave and get a different party. The blademaster can stay but I'll need maybe my shaman or shadowwalker instead of the tinkermage (I'm playing a tinkermage).

I kinda figured that was going to be the answer. So I'll do that and I just won't go through that gate this time. There must be another way in.

Thanks again!

Going through the gate and following the scripted path is pretty much required.

Way later in the zone there is an another route where you find there are infinitely spawning titans going to the main gate and they are harder to kill than regular titans. Jeff made sure you have to go certain ways with only a few optional fights that you could come back later after finishing the boss and getting your rewards.

I finally got 'em! I brought my blademaster and my shadowwalker, and used Elixirs of Battle and a buncha wands. My fire turret did a bit of damage, but I couldn't get it close enough to really help much.

I see that titans are next. Oh joy.

(I made an alliance with the Titans back in Goldcrag, so maybe that will help? Ha. I doubt it.)

Anyhoo, thanks for the advice! I may be back for more!

Uh oh. Got through the Titans with ease, thanks to our friendly dragon.

But the wretches are slaughtering me. I'm going to have to be very clever. I still have some wands, and I'm just going to have to use more potions, I think.

I'm kind of surprised at Jeff. Giving us unwinnable fights is not his style. At least we ought to have an escape available if we have come with a party that can't win. If I can't get through this it's game over, and I"ve never been unable to finish a Spiderweb game after playing them since the original Avernum and Nethergate. True, I'm not talented at it, but I've been playing Jeff's games almost since he started making them.

But I dunno. He may have defeated me this time. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks for the encouragement but I've been trying to position my party decently. I watched Cheesrook's video about this, and I can't even get through the first of three of the wretch fights, so far.

I will try again with potions and whatever buffs I have.

Do you have any advice about the positioning? I would hate to give up and declare defeat. I'm not ready to do that just yet.

All the Wretch fights involve damaging/killing the Wretch leader first so he flees/dies.

The first Wretch fight helps if you retreat a bit afterwards to get the monsters in clumps and away from your party.

The second fight needs you to avoid being hit by area effects to the entire party so getting them as far along the ambush hallway so the are out of line of sight with most of the wretches helps.

The third works if you are spread out and slowly advance.

Well hey! I made it as far as the battle with the Titan and his drakes. Maybe with judicious use of potions I can get through that.

The three wretch battles indeed were doable, once I followed your advice. I got pretty far with the Titan, and my turrets actually helped a lot because the enemies were mostly concentrated in one spot. But I lasted quite a long time. I think I'll try to take out the drakes next time around to stop all the hasting they do.

However, if I can last as long as I did, I ought to be able to get through it.

Thanks so much Randomizer! Your advice really really helped!

Actually that went fairly well this time! I took out one of the drakes right away, but had trouble getting to the other one. Everybody but the big Titan and that drake were already dead.

I met with Dheless. OK.

However, NOW I apparently have to fight slime monsters--LOTS of them--to get out of this place, and I'm out of wands. This dungeon is ridiculous.