AEFTP Questions for a newcomer

Hello,

I have been trying AEFTP on HARD mode while playing and learning A2:CS on normal.

Regarding Slarti's original posting a couple years ago: ANALYSIS: Min-Maxing A:EFTP, I didn't want to post a reply on a 2+ year old thread so am making sure I ask the question anew and hoping that is proper etiquette on a forum.

I really appreciate the 2 build guides you had posted and have read it thoroughly and after playing both games a while understand the terms and ideas much better-thank you for the really good work.

Question: Do you consider focusing on survivabilty skills in early game more important, or is there a "best defense is a good offense" sort of process. I understand this to be a general question, but being that HARD is "harder" I think I'm on the right track.

Question: Why can Mages wear a shield and armor in the beginning? I'm sure that there is a poibnt where this doesn't make sense. Are you suddenly unable to cast spells or how do you know? CS just says "Encumbers Mages" and that's that.

Question: How accurate are those builds with A2:Crystal Souls? I can now understand some differences but it seems there are more simlarities than there are differences. I have seen some posts by Lillith etc that has explained a few of these differences.

Question to Slarti: have you considered making a build guide outline like AEFTP for A2:CS? I believe you are somewhat qualified to do so eh?

Hey-I'm just having a lot of fun discovering my roots with these Spiderweb Games I guess. Just wait till I start an Avadon (in library) if you really want to get confused!

Thanks all

1. In the early game, killing monsters quickly with one or two attacks works best because defensive skills don't make a big difference.

2. Mages start out with the ability to cast spells while having some encumbering armor. You know when it doesn't work and you exceed that percentage. Some items will give bonus to hit to counteract encumbering armor as well as a trait.

On Question 2, I'd note that mages can wear a total of -5% without losing the ability to cast spells. And EftP has quite a few shields that don't encumber at all. So even if it might not make sense if you're coming from some other games, mages can totally use a Wooden Shield.

In CS, on the other hand, most every shield seems to have a -10% penalty, and thus you'll probably need Swordmage to counteract it (and I'd personally recommend it, as shields were improved a fair bit in that game). At least humans get 8 extra traits in that game.

Also, on Crystal Souls builds...note that dual wielders were nerfed a bit, as the dual wielding penalty is -35% rather than -20%. I still personally like having a tough guy in front, though you may consider giving them a shield rather than two swords (with the extra Parry, it'll help defense a fair bit anyway).

I'd also agree with Randomizer that the best defense is a good offense, so for Level 1, pump up your damage stat and your weapon skill.

Question: Do you consider focusing on survivabilty skills in early game more important, or is there a "best defense is a good offense" sort of process. I understand this to be a general question, but being that HARD is "harder" I think I'm on the right track.

The defensive skills are ratio-based. For example, a level of Hardiness reduce the damage taken by 2%. While most of the offensives skills are additive. Say, a weapon skill adds 1 to 4 more damage. The latter makes a much bigger difference early on, when damage and hit points are low. That said, because the increasing cost of skill, you should spend on both.

Question: Why can Mages wear a shield and armor in the beginning? I'm sure that there is a poibnt where this doesn't make sense. Are you suddenly unable to cast spells or how do you know? CS just says "Encumbers Mages" and that's that.

That is because shields are armors do not necessarily encumber you, even if they look heavy. Mages can wear a total of -5% without losing the ability to cast spells. You will find enough magical armors and shields that do not encumber for your mages sooner or later

The reference to "in the beginning" is that mages have the option of getting a trait that allows them to wear more armor and still cast spells. No matter what, your mage will always be able to cast spells of any level as long as their total penalty is no greater than -5%. As you increase your abilities, there are ways to increase this in increments of 5% so that you can cast spells despite wearing armor of -30%.