Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Hi,

I have been reading all the posts and felt somewhat informed to get my feet wet at Normal, and want to thank all the moderators for their great insight so far. I did goof around with the 4 caster party but wanted to try a Dual Wield front row. I'm still just getting used to the game and having fun. I realize that melee isn't near as good as magic but wanna try just one in party-at Normal level I'm sure it will be fine. I have just done the Nephalim and Draco stuff so far.

Question:

1. With the front row character, every time I add better armor it has so much -% to hit. Is there any way around this? Part of the frustration of melee is the constant missing.

2, I also noted that using the summon creatures can really take pressure off party-at least in beginning.

3, If I accidentally sell a quest item can I buy it back?

4. Can you delete a game save from load menu? I know I can clean out the save game folders in Documents but Steam re-syncs them when I go online.

5. If a Dual Wield is best choice for front row melee, when do I drop the shield (which I think he needs at start for the pummeling he's getting) and go with 2 blades?

6. At what point do I care to take tool use and Arcane Lore? I am really just starting with Spell, Melee, and defensive points at first here.

7. Should I wait till I get negotiator skill to sell junk? I need to of course have some money to spend I realize in the beginning.

8. Is it worth improving the starting Spells like Fire, Haste, Protection etc or just wait till I need them stronger? That I just realize is a bit of a hand holding question now I think about it....

Thanks!

1. If you keep adding to strength and gain levels, eventually you balance out the -% to hit for armor. You have to decide if you need to hit early in the game or use that character as a tank to protect others.

2. Summoned creatures make great shields and certain ones are more useful in a situation than others. Undead are great because they don't suffer from mind effect attacks.

3. It depends upon the merchant on whether it appears in his inventory. Some common quest items can easily be found so it doesn't really matter.

5. Dual Wield has a penalty so like too much armor you need to wait until above level 10 before it doesn't really matter.

6. Tool Use is important for traps, locks. and opening containers for loot. So get it early since the trainer is really late in the game. Arcane and Nature Lore can be bought from trainers in the early game. Sure you are short of money near the start, but there are better uses for skill points and late in the game you have too much money.

1. You need to have them with no line of sight with you and that means windows and open doors. Some places are impossible and others just take a really long time, over ten minutes for a few places.

2. Most skills like Hardiness and Parry that you want to maximize it's best to use skill points first and then pay for trainers.

Skills like Arcane Lore and Nature Lore are best with trainers for 2 levels for each party member since it's the party total when checked. Also you don't need much over the 8 you bought until later in the game. You can use skill points later in the game.

To see the requirements, use "p" to bring the Priest spells. Ones that you can cast you can click on the icon and ones you can't cast will tell you the spell level needed.

Also besides the spell level, you need enough spell energy at that time to cast the spell. This is a function of intelligence.

To see the requirements, use "p" to bring the Priest spells. Ones that you can cast you can click on the icon and ones you can't cast will tell you the spell level needed.

Also besides the spell level, you need enough spell energy at that time to cast the spell. This is a function of intelligence.

Thanks I shoulda figured that out.

Hi again,

1. Is there a screen where I can see my Stats like "to hit %" etc?

2. What is the point of lighting up an area, and how do you know when it's lit or goes out?

3. My one Priest uses energy a lot more than the others, what's the best strategy to use it efficiently or create a bigger Energy pool? I see most min/max advice never mentions Magic Efficiency at all

4. A bit confused about Arcane Lore i.e. I have come across a spellbook in early game of the priest spell "Unshackle Mind in Nephalim Castle. I see from my Priest Spell screen I need a Priest Skill level of 7. Does this mean a 7 in "Priest Spells" only, or does Arcane Lore have something to do with it?

5. I see the advice is to take AL for 2 points early-is this for all characters? That would be 8 and what is the reason again?

Sorry for the confusion-I'm having fun I like this type of game but really don't like to not know how things interact together. Thanks for all help given!

1. don't think so.

2. to see dark(er) areas better, if lamp/etc is lit you see area around your party is brighter so you see better. no warning if lamp/etc is "dying".

3. traits like energy boons, energy blessing, unending mana, improved intelligence and more points on intelligence and points spent on magical efficiency and of course buying/making energy potions/elixirs

4. you need priest skill lvl 7 to be able to learn it and cast it.

5. to learn spells early from books etc, not necessarily for all (since for non-casters it means investing points on mage and priest skills) although if wants better resistance for fighters then needs to invest points on caster skills so then can invest on al too.

2. A:CS does not have as many dark areas as other of his games, but it has plenty of light sources just in case

5. There are three levels to each spell. You can get two levels of the spell via training, but to get a third level you need to read a spell book. (Order does not matter, if you do not know a spell and read the spell book for it, you will have the spell at level one then later a trainer can teach you levels two and three) In order to read a spell book you need a varying level of AL. AL 8 will allow you to read most of the books that you encounter early in the game. There are some things that can help enhance your AL and there are a number of spell books that in addition to a certain level in AL, require you to possess one of two different objects to read them.

Since AL is one of the few skills that adds across the party, buying two levels for each of your four characters does get you to AL 8 and avoids eating up skill points. Since there is no reason to have a particularly high level of AL in any one character, the cap at 10 when you have gone to a trainer first will not hurt you.

3. My one Priest uses energy a lot more than the others, what's the best strategy to use it efficiently or create a bigger Energy pool? I see most min/max advice never mentions Magic Efficiency at all

That's because the game makes it trivial to run back to town and restore all your HP and SP at nearly any moment in the game. For the few times you are trapped and can't do that, there are plenty of energy potions. A lot of players just use the restore-SP shift-D code to restore their SP any time they are out of battle and could easily run back to town, simply as a time saver. Generally, anyone who's min-maxing in the first place is not interested in being penalized because they don't want to spend several minutes doing something tedious over and over again.

That's because the game makes it trivial to run back to town and restore all your HP and SP at nearly any moment in the game. For the few times you are trapped and can't do that, there are plenty of energy potions. A lot of players just use the restore-SP shift-D code to restore their SP any time they are out of battle and could easily run back to town, simply as a time saver. Generally, anyone who's min-maxing in the first place is not interested in being penalized because they don't want to spend several minutes doing something tedious over and over again.

Thanks-I see after running back and forth myself that this "cheat" isn't really one and will probably do so myself.

On another note-could you clarify my question #4 above about Arcane Lore? I am still confused as to it vs spell levels, and if all party members should take it, and how do i "buy" this skill? Is it like buying spells at a trainer? Is that like Boris in Fort Draco? I choose to train skills and he says I must "travel more" before he can teach me a skill. Is that where I would "buy" Arcane Lore etc?

1. don't think so.

2. to see dark(er) areas better, if lamp/etc is lit you see area around your party is brighter so you see better. no warning if lamp/etc is "dying".

3. traits like energy boons, energy blessing, unending mana, improved intelligence and more points on intelligence and points spent on magical efficiency and of course buying/making energy potions/elixirs

4. you need priest skill lvl 7 to be able to learn it and cast it.

5. to learn spells early from books etc, not necessarily for all (since for non-casters it means investing points on mage and priest skills) although if wants better resistance for fighters then needs to invest points on caster skills so then can invest on al too.

Does lighting up an area detect enemies sooner? Doesn't seem like it from what I can tell.

4. AL does not effect which spells you can cast. Your priest and mage skills do that.

Unfortunately, I just looked back at my notes and at Randomizers notes and there is a trainer for AL in A:CS, which makes our advice on splitting up among your party incorrect and you should just split it up among your casters taking a point here and a point there. You will eventually want to get to a total of 11 in AL, if you want to learn all spells at level 3 (which is not necessary) (even then you will need a few points of sage lore and Vahnatai Lore). There is an item at the end game which can make the end game easier that may require a total of 13 AL plus 2 VL, but you can win the game without it.

Cave Lore can be bought in the demo area from Tor.

How do I know what level spell I have? I just went to Boris and trained a couple spells to level 2 and there is nothing to tell me that except of course the increased damage etc. Is there a way to see it is indeed level 2? Or 3?

Example: I went to the Areana Web area and there was a spellbook "shrine" I guess you call it. From the charts I see here it was for the spell Bolt of Fire -Level 3. I had the AL requirement to get spell I think and noticed my tooltip now says (I'm level 8)

Add 15% to Bonus

34-92 Fire Damage

34-92 Fire Damage to foe near target (30%)

Am I correct in assuming the following:

34-92 Fire Damage=Level 1

34-92 Fire damage to foe near target (30%)=Level 2 BTW is this how AOE tooltipped?

Add 15% to Bonus=Level 3

I didn't even know from the text if I had improved etc...nor if I had previously had a high enough Mage Spell Skill level to get a level 3 Fire Spell Skill....

I really enjoy this type of game-I'm pretty old so remember the days of Wizardry and Ultima when a map was a hint book. I don't expect a million bells and whistles but I am a bit confused as to some of the stat/skill information screens etc.

All help is appreciated.

to see spell lvls click caster's profile (question mark) and then spells/abilities and you see spells learned and those lvls (and same with fighters).

remakes (remakes remakes) skilltrees are simplified when compared to non-remakes (avernum 4-6 and exiles).

if caster has high enuf lvl to learn spell lvl 1 then he/she/it can learn it on next 2 lvls too.

best aoe spell you can get early is icy rain and that's usable throughout of game. priest lacks aoe spells until much later so priest should have enuf mage skill to be able to cast icy rain (and much later fireblast) and mage should be able to cast priest spells too.

to see spell lvls click caster's profile (question mark) and then spells/abilities and you see spells learned and those lvls (and same with fighters).

remakes (remakes remakes) skilltrees are simplified when compared to non-remakes (avernum 4-6 and exiles).

if caster has high enuf lvl to learn spell lvl 1 then he/she/it can learn it on next 2 lvls too.

best aoe spell you can get early is icy rain and that's usable throughout of game. priest lacks aoe spells until much later so priest should have enuf mage skill to be able to cast icy rain (and much later fireblast) and mage should be able to cast priest spells too.

Thanks for that! How do you know if your spell level is high enough for level 3 spells after you have the first 2 ranks?

Thanks for that! How do you know if your spell level is high enough for level 3 spells after you have the first 2 ranks?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Level 3 spells have exactly the same spellcasting skill requirement as the level 1 and 2 versions. If you can cast one, you can cast the other.

The chart in this post from Slartibus has what the requirements are for the spell books. http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/21167-a2cs-level-3-spell-arcane-lore-location-list/ It also has recommendations for how much AL you should have at different points in the game. I do not know what you consider spoilers, but here is a link to another chart that added some additional information to the chart linked above including caster level (mage or priest skill level) and cheapest location to buy. http://avernumthemaps.byethost7.com/CS/CS_spells.html

OTOH, you can also wait until you learn Dispel Barrier and come back for them. That lets you sell the piercing crystals for extra cash. I'd definitely save before using them, and if the stuff behind the barrier isn't a big upgrade (and it isn't in an out-of-the-way place you're never returning to) you can put it off.

Hello again-thanks for answering all my questions-I have Grim Dawn, WoW, Deus Ex, and more and this is the game I'm losing sleep playing. I really get back to my old feelings when I play this type of game!

Anyway-question:

I had asked if there was a way to see you stats such as %to hit, etc and was told no, which is too bad when trying different types of armor etc-would be nice to see how different items change the character to better make decisions on them.

Also Is there a screen that shows your total points in say TU or AL, or do you have to add each one up yourself?

The items themselves show you how they will change your stats when you hover over them.

Right thanks -so I need to hover over each one, then add up the "-to hit" etc and get a total-then add up to offset of strength (or any other item that changes the stat) I have as a modifier etc?

Hmm would be nice to have the game keep track of that. I love the old school style of course but there are some UI things (like the above) that are real quality of life helpers, especially for a lazier gamer such as myself.

I don't think you understand how hit rate works. Each attack has a base hit rate (often 50%). You add all your to-hit bonuses to that, and your target gets to subtract all its evasion bonuses from that. To-hit bonuses include 5% per point of the relevant stat (Strength for melee attacks, etc.) so your total to-hit bonus is usually going to be quite large, over 100% for most of the game. Plus or minus 5% for an item isn't going to make too huge of a difference; enemy evasion, which depends on the enemy and their level, makes much more of a difference -- though you'll usually be at or near the 90% chance to hit cap anyway.

Knowing that your total bonus is 185% or whatever would not have any relevance to what equipment you choose to wear. It really wouldn't. What you're asking for is more clutter, not more useful information.

I don't think you understand how hit rate works. Each attack has a base hit rate (often 50%). You add all your to-hit bonuses to that, and your target gets to subtract all its evasion bonuses from that. To-hit bonuses include 5% per point of the relevant stat (Strength for melee attacks, etc.) so your total to-hit bonus is usually going to be quite large, over 100% for most of the game. Plus or minus 5% for an item isn't going to make too huge of a difference; enemy evasion, which depends on the enemy and their level, makes much more of a difference -- though you'll usually be at or near the 90% chance to hit cap anyway.

Knowing that your total bonus is 185% or whatever would not have any relevance to what equipment you choose to wear. It really wouldn't. What you're asking for is more clutter, not more useful information.

Oky doke. So an example of my Warrior would be:

12 Str =60% to Hit

Armor I'm wearing -40% chance to hit

and a Base rate of 50% to hit (or so)

Equals 70% chance to hit?

Honestly I really ain't worried about it as the explanation of Evasion etc makes sense. I just saw all this armor with a lot of minuses, and what seems like he misses often (sword and shield not dual wielding yet) and it seemed like a lot. The odd thing about it is I usually glaze over when I see people writing all the math involved when explaning internal game mechanics.

I assure you I prefer the magic of the games, not the math underneath.

Thanks

Hello again,

I have been using a Sword and Shield early until I could improve my dual wielding skill. I have tried to equip some swords and having a bit of confusion:

When I equip a Broadsword or Waveblade, I can only use a shortblade or dagger in offhand-no problem except I sold a bunch of them...how can I tell what blades go where? I don't see a descriptor but it makes sense that a big and a little etc. Just want to know how to figure the combination for the future. I guess I shoulda played around a bit with equipping earlier eh?

Thanks

Hi Again,

My characters are around level 17-18, I'm having fun but as always a bit confused. Basically I have been doing side quests in any area that I can handle for my area. I have access to areas as barriers are down, and am sorta wandering....I know I should go to Castle for the Magi Clearance (I guess).

I know there isn't really a "walkthrough" and I don't expect one, just want to make sure I have the right idea. I realize it's also the point of the game to discovery stuff, just want to make sure there is no glaring stupidity going on. Lots of choices for buying things though and not sure how not to waste money. I have mainly spent money on spells/rituals for offense and survival, not really on like Cave Lore etc.

I am however thoroughly confused on the application of Arcane Lore with Sage Lore and Vahnatai Lore etc.I realize there has been much discussion on this and not sure if I'm really clear on it. See below an excerpt from the "Second Look after balance updates" thread.

I'm not sure if I should take Sage Lore, if I should take it for all characters, if I should take multiple levels of it, whether I should take VL or not (4 opportunities to do so), if I should ignore that because there are certain things it doesn't count as AL for (so whats the point) or Ignore SL and VL to get 13 straight points in AL to get some sort of Resistance Buff (I think).

I also am seeing the original "Second look at Updates" advice (Slarti I'm guessing is the Demon of Good Taste?) and thinking I should maybe replay at a Hard level with all casters get. The Dual sword guy is fun but even just having Icy Rain and Priest Divine Fire blows any melee out the window.

I guess I am the type of player who doesn't like to hope he gets the right skills-I like to explore etc but hate wishing I made different build choices and don't like using the editor, but will. I spend a lot of time reseaqrching my choices for games before I start them, unlike others who jump right in I guess.

From other post:

"Keep in mind that you need at least 2 AL (not Sage Lore and not Vahnatai Lore) to get Dispel Barrier maxed, and there are 4 points of VL. So it's really a question of

2 AL + 2 traits

2 AL + 3 traits -- get level 3 spells on time

13 AL -- get level 3 spells on time, get some earlier than above, and get everyone to 11 Resistance."

Thus, you exchange 11 skill points for 2-3 traits, 4 Resistance, and some earlier spells. I do think that an 11th point of Resistance is worth at least 2 points of most anywhere else you'd put that skill point, so I think it's a fair trade."

My question on this post was:

"When you say "traits" are you talking about Sage Lore? So this would mean:

2 AL + 2 Traits (Sage Lore) = 8 AL

2 AL + 3 Traits= (Sage Lore)= 11 AL

Not counting the Spray Acid, Blink, Cloak of Blades, and Ward of Steel, as those require "pure" Arcane Lore, (From Mikus post)

Not sure how to get the Vahnatai Lore as I only got it offered to me once somewhere so far in my game- but it also counts as an AL for spell learning purposes right? Isn't that like $1000 each time or something? "

Please don't spam by posting the same thing in two different threads. (Especially after somebody answers you twice in the other thread... just continue it there next time.)

As far as lore goes, the reason you don't find threads saying "do exactly this" is because there is more than one way to do it, and while they aren't all that different, they differ in whether the use more skill points, more traits, etc.

If you need a specific suggestion for what to do, Randomizer mentioned one already: go pure Arcane Lore for the bonus point of Resistance. This is a good way to do things.

EDIT: This is now spread over 3 threads and 3 huge posts. I'm adding spoiler tags in. Please keep further discussion to this thread. Thank you.

So-After playing for a while and reading hundreds of posts for advice, let me know what you think...

This is one of the few actual laid out plans for a build that seemed to take advice from some of the veterans of the game. I have some questions at the end, feel free to post answers if you like. There are 3 pages of posts after Bonam made this one, which to a newb is a lot to process.

Bonam

Mercenary

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:49 PM #15 A2:CS - Second look at balance updates

So, something like:

Priest 1 (main tank):

14 priest spells

10 spellcraft

10 resistance

8 melee

10 hardiness

10 parry

1 cave lore

Priest 2:

14 priest spells

10 spellcraft

10 resistance

8 melee

10 hardiness

7 TU

3 free points

Mage 1:

16 mage spells

10 spellcraft

10 resistance

8 melee

10 hardiness

3 TU

1 AL

5 free points

Mage 2:

16 mage spells

10 spellcraft

10 resistance

8 melee

10 hardiness

4 TU

1 AL

4 free points

Options for the 12 free points:

- could do 13 in AL to get the spells early + 4 resistance

Questions from Fou:

-No Sage Lore? (still so confused on this one and VL)

-How do all these people get to 15 in weapon skills (to Reach Adrenaiine Rush) when they have 8 total? I realize you buy 2 points of weapon skills and there there are 2 items to wear/use (like a sword and gloves or something) to get to 15 to take Adrenaline Rush. However that would only account for one character to get to 15 right? What about the other three?

-Cave Lore? I see there isn't really a lot of fantastic gear to discover, but maybe on first timers get it to a certain number? 10 maybe on first timers?

-TU to 14? I see that you need TU to 11 for most items, 13 to escape a dragon or something, and 14 for final. One post says maybe 14 on initial run and 11 if you go again?

Perhaps the wily veterans could edit the actual build post when advising with comments at the end of the edit as editing the actual build itself is much easier to wrap a smaller brain around than reading pages of adjustment advice. I realize that I may be guilty of reviving many old questions scattered over dozens of posts from 2015-2016, but seeing as this is the most recent Avernum game, I know that new people will look for a post from a "Newcomer" just as I do, and maybe some of this will help.

I really like this game and have actually started playing EFTP to see differences. There is a lot of info etc on that game (not much in the way of maps though like CS)

Note: I realize there isn't a magic bullet for this, but looking through a more mature game such as EFTP there is much more

Please don't spam by posting the same thing in two different threads. (Especially after somebody answers you twice in the other thread... just continue it there next time.)

As far as lore goes, the reason you don't find threads saying "do exactly this" is because there is more than one way to do it, and while they aren't all that different, they differ in whether the use more skill points, more traits, etc.

If you need a specific suggestion for what to do, Randomizer mentioned one already: go pure Arcane Lore for the bonus point of Resistance. This is a good way to do things.

EDIT: This is now spread over 3 threads and 3 huge posts. I'm adding spoiler tags in. Please keep further discussion to this thread. Thank you.

Sorry man wasn't meaning to spam-I actually was writing another post when you made this-really sorry wasn't trying to make a mess!

You are correct there is a LOT of info over a wide area, much of it older posts too.

I will keep my questions limited to this post sorry

Look up at your post and you'll see what I meant by spoiler tags. They can be used to hide revealing info but they can also just be used to keep posts neat and tidy.

To edit just hit the button that says "edit". Try it on your post above and you can see what you have to type to make the spoiler box appear.

Look up at your post and you'll see what I meant by spoiler tags. They can be used to hide revealing info but they can also just be used to keep posts neat and tidy.

To edit just hit the button that says "edit". Try it on your post above and you can see what you have to type to make the spoiler box appear.

Y

Thanks-what I wanted to do was make make the Thread Subject Header read ***SPOILERS*** not actual posts. I'm unable to edit the Thread Header-maybe you can?

Jeff makes the Demo, early part, easier to lure in new gamers. It gets harder as you reach the next part and there are a few fights that you might not be able to do on hard difficulty that are barely winnable on normal difficulty.

Save often with different saves so you can go back later if it proves too hard.

Is a Dual Wielding Fighter still recommended over a Shield/Pole user? I saw the Minus To Hit went from 20% in AEFTP to 35% in CS.

Lillith recommends against taking Sage Lore-is this mainly for Resistance Bonus AL 11/13 whatever gives, for the fact there are a few spells you can't get with Sage Lore?

Playing through on Normal doesn't seem to tax me much. In fact I hardly ever use my scrolls,potions etc except healing. I will bump it to Hard to see how it feels-I think a lot of this advice is for a bit more difficulty eh?

Slarti suggests getting Magi Clearance right after Demo area without going into another dungeon with though out questing and planning. Unfortunately I guess I will have to play through a few times to learn what those might be, or can someone maybe help with a SPOILER in this regard? I really like the game but come to the forums for hints. tips and Ah-ha stuff...

BTW-what exactly IS the demo area-like before chapter 2 or earlier?