Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic
Foumantoo Foumantoo

Citizen

• Member ID: 18,762
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:10 AM #1 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Hi,
I have been reading all the posts and felt somewhat informed to get my feet wet at Normal, and want to thank all the moderators for their great insight so far.  I did goof around with the 4 caster party but wanted to try a Dual Wield front row. I'm still just getting used to the game and having fun. I realize that melee isn't near as good as magic but wanna try just one in party-at Normal level I'm sure it will be fine. I have just done the Nephalim and Draco stuff so far.

Question:
1. With the front row character, every time I add better armor it has so much -% to hit. Is there any way around this? Part of the frustration of melee is the constant missing.

2, I also noted that using the summon creatures can really take pressure off party-at least in beginning.

3, If I accidentally sell a quest item can I buy it back?

4. Can you delete a game save from load menu? I know I can clean out the save game folders in Documents but Steam re-syncs them when I go online.

5. If a Dual Wield is best choice for front row melee, when do I drop the shield (which I think he needs at start for the pummeling he's getting) and go with 2 blades?

6. At what point do I care to take tool use and Arcane Lore? I am really just starting with Spell, Melee, and defensive points at first here.

7. Should I wait till I get negotiator skill to sell junk? I need to of course have some money to spend I realize in the beginning.

8. Is it worth improving the starting Spells like Fire, Haste, Protection etc or just wait till I need them stronger? That I just realize is a bit of a hand holding question now I think about it....

Thanks!

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,852 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:23 AM #2 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

1. If you keep adding to strength and gain levels, eventually you balance out the -% to hit for armor. You have to decide if you need to hit early in the game or use that character as a tank to protect others.

2. Summoned creatures make great shields and certain ones are more useful in a situation than others. Undead are great because they don't suffer from mind effect attacks.

3. It depends upon the merchant on whether it appears in his inventory. Some common quest items can easily be found so it doesn't really matter.

5. Dual Wield has a penalty so like too much armor you need to wait until above level 10 before it doesn't really matter.

6. Tool Use is important for traps, locks. and opening containers for loot.  So get it early since the trainer is really late in the game.  Arcane and Nature Lore can be bought from trainers in the early game. Sure you are short of money near the start, but there are better uses for skill points and late in the game you have too much money.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Refugees from Menzoberranzan Refugees from Menzoberranzan

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,701 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:34 PM #3 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Individual pieces of armor become less important once you get Hardiness up high.  That's a good priority for front liners in particular.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Citizen

• 39 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:53 PM #4 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Hi -a couple more questions:

1. How the heck do I steal in this game? I move around and believe backs are turned, let NPC's switch areas etc and never seem to be able to steal.

2. Is it best to pay for skills first and then train them?

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,852 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:02 PM #5 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

1. You need to have them with no line of sight with you and that means windows and open doors. Some places are impossible and others just take a really long time, over ten minutes for a few places.

2. Most skills like Hardiness and Parry that you want to maximize it's best to use skill points first and then pay for trainers.

Skills like Arcane Lore and Nature Lore are best with trainers for 2 levels for each party member since it's the party total when checked. Also you don't need much over the 8 you bought until later in the game. You can use skill points later in the game.
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• Member ID: 10,154
  • 736 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:10 PM #6 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

7.  Yes definitely

8.  The bump ups are not all that great (generally 15-20%) so there is not a really big need to upgrade them early.  As Randomizer said, you will have plenty of money later.

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Citizen

• 39 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:27 PM #7 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Thanks!

More: Why does my Melee guy have 2 of the 4 priest skills greyed out after I took 1 point in Priest spells? I have Heal and curing available but not Smite and Protection. What exactly are requirements for a spell and how do you know when creating a character?

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,852 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:04 PM #8 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

To see the requirements, use "p" to bring the Priest spells. Ones that you can cast you can click on the icon and ones you can't cast will tell you the spell level needed.

Also besides the spell level, you need enough spell energy at that time to cast the spell. This is a function of intelligence.

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Citizen

• 39 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:39 PM #9 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

View PostRandomizer, on 14 February 2017 - 07:04 PM, said:

To see the requirements, use "p" to bring the Priest spells. Ones that you can cast you can click on the icon and ones you can't cast will tell you the spell level needed.

Also besides the spell level, you need enough spell energy at that time to cast the spell. This is a function of intelligence.
Thanks I shoulda figured that out.

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Citizen

• 39 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:26 AM #10 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Hi again,
1. Is there a screen where I can see my Stats like "to hit %" etc?
2. What is the point of lighting up an area, and how do you know when it's lit or goes out?
3. My one Priest uses energy a lot more than the others, what's the best strategy to use it efficiently or create a bigger Energy pool? I see most min/max advice never mentions Magic Efficiency at all
4. A bit confused about Arcane Lore i.e. I have come across a spellbook in early game of the priest spell "Unshackle Mind in Nephalim Castle. I see from my Priest Spell screen I need a Priest Skill level of 7. Does this mean a 7 in "Priest Spells" only, or does Arcane Lore have something to do with it?
5. I see the advice is to take AL for 2 points early-is this for all characters? That would be 8 and what is the reason again?

Sorry for the confusion-I'm having fun I like this type of game but really don't like to not know how things interact together. Thanks for all help given!

Earth Empires Earth Empires

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,661
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:42 PM #11 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

1. don't think so.
2. to see dark(er) areas better, if lamp/etc is lit you see area around your party is brighter so you see better. no warning if lamp/etc is "dying".
3. traits like energy boons, energy blessing, unending mana, improved intelligence and more points on intelligence and points spent on magical efficiency and of course buying/making energy potions/elixirs
4. you need priest skill lvl 7 to be able to learn it and cast it.
5. to learn spells early from books etc, not necessarily for all (since for non-casters it means investing points on mage and priest skills) although if wants better resistance for fighters then needs to invest points on caster skills so then can invest on al too.

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• 736 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:25 PM #12 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

2.  A:CS does not have as many dark areas as other of his games, but it has plenty of light sources just in case
5.  There are three levels to each spell.  You can get two levels of the spell via training, but to get a third level you need to read a spell book.  (Order does not matter, if you do not know a spell and read the spell book for it, you will have the spell at level one then later a trainer can teach you levels two and three)  In order to read a spell book you need a varying level of AL.  AL 8 will allow you to read most of the books that you encounter early in the game.  There are some things that can help enhance your AL and there are a number of spell books that in addition to a certain level in AL, require you to possess one of two different objects to read them.

Since AL is one of the few skills that adds across the party, buying two levels for each of your four characters does get you to AL 8 and avoids eating up skill points.  Since there is no reason to have a particularly high level of AL in any one character, the cap at 10 when you have gone to a trainer first will not hurt you.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,701 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:32 PM #13 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

View PostFoumantoo, on 15 February 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

3. My one Priest uses energy a lot more than the others, what's the best strategy to use it efficiently or create a bigger Energy pool? I see most min/max advice never mentions Magic Efficiency at all
That's because the game makes it trivial to run back to town and restore all your HP and SP at nearly any moment in the game.  For the few times you are trapped and can't do that, there are plenty of energy potions.  A lot of players just use the restore-SP shift-D code to restore their SP any time they are out of battle and could easily run back to town, simply as a time saver.  Generally, anyone who's min-maxing in the first place is not interested in being penalized because they don't want to spend several minutes doing something tedious over and over again.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Citizen

• 39 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:18 PM #14 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

View PostDeleterious Alleles!!!, on 15 February 2017 - 03:32 PM, said:

That's because the game makes it trivial to run back to town and restore all your HP and SP at nearly any moment in the game.  For the few times you are trapped and can't do that, there are plenty of energy potions.  A lot of players just use the restore-SP shift-D code to restore their SP any time they are out of battle and could easily run back to town, simply as a time saver.  Generally, anyone who's min-maxing in the first place is not interested in being penalized because they don't want to spend several minutes doing something tedious over and over again.

Thanks-I see after running back and forth myself that this "cheat" isn't really one and will probably do so myself.

On another note-could you clarify my question #4 above about Arcane Lore? I am still confused as to it vs spell levels, and if all party members should take it, and how do i "buy" this skill? Is it like buying spells at a trainer? Is that like Boris in Fort Draco? I choose to train skills and he says I must "travel more" before he can teach me a skill. Is that where I would "buy" Arcane Lore etc?

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Citizen

• 39 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:20 PM #15 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

View PostEarth Empires, on 15 February 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

1. don't think so.
2. to see dark(er) areas better, if lamp/etc is lit you see area around your party is brighter so you see better. no warning if lamp/etc is "dying".
3. traits like energy boons, energy blessing, unending mana, improved intelligence and more points on intelligence and points spent on magical efficiency and of course buying/making energy potions/elixirs
4. you need priest skill lvl 7 to be able to learn it and cast it.
5. to learn spells early from books etc, not necessarily for all (since for non-casters it means investing points on mage and priest skills) although if wants better resistance for fighters then needs to invest points on caster skills so then can invest on al too.
Does lighting up an area detect enemies sooner? Doesn't seem like it from what I can tell.

Triumph Triumph

Wrapped in Light

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 6,248
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:49 PM #16 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Light serves no gameplay function. Its purpose is to reduce eyestrain as you try to figure out what's on the screen. :)

"Dikiyoba didn't know what to say for your negatives, Triumph. Dikiyoba supposes you must just be that awesome." - Dikiyoba
"Triumph == Santa Claus? This explains... nothing." - Dintiradan
"Per usual, Triumph said it better." - Slarty

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,852 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:50 PM #17 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

I'm looking at the topics and Arcane Lore can't be bought in this game and Cave Lore isn't until near the end. Usually they are available in the demo.

Boris doesn't provide skill training until level 8.

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• 736 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:54 PM #18 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

4.  AL does not effect which spells you can cast.  Your priest and mage skills do that.  

Unfortunately, I just looked back at my notes and at Randomizers notes and there is a trainer for AL in A:CS, which makes our advice on splitting up among your party incorrect and you should just split it up among your casters taking a point here and a point there.  You will eventually want to get to a total of 11 in AL, if you want to learn all spells at level 3 (which is not necessary) (even then you will need a few points of sage lore and Vahnatai Lore).  There is an item at the end game which can make the end game easier that may require a total of 13 AL plus 2 VL, but you can win the game without it.

Cave Lore can be bought in the demo area from Tor.

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Citizen

• 39 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:16 PM #19 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

How do I know what level spell I have? I just went to Boris and trained a couple spells to level 2 and there is nothing to tell me that except of course the increased damage etc. Is there a way to see it is indeed level 2? Or 3?
Example: I went to the Areana Web area and there was a spellbook "shrine" I guess you call it. From the charts I see here it was for the spell Bolt of Fire -Level 3. I had the AL requirement to get spell I think and noticed my tooltip now says  (I'm level 8)
Add 15% to Bonus
34-92 Fire Damage
34-92 Fire Damage to foe near target (30%)

Am I correct in assuming the following:
34-92 Fire Damage=Level 1
34-92 Fire damage to foe near target (30%)=Level 2  BTW is this how AOE tooltipped?
Add 15% to Bonus=Level 3

I didn't even know from the text if I had improved etc...nor if I had previously had a high enough Mage Spell Skill level to get a level 3 Fire Spell Skill....

I really enjoy this type of game-I'm pretty old so remember the days of Wizardry and Ultima when a map was a hint book. I don't expect a million bells and whistles but I am a bit confused as to some of the stat/skill information screens etc.

All help is appreciated.

Heart of Avadon

• 4,163 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:01 PM #20 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

to see spell lvls click caster's profile (question mark) and then spells/abilities and you see spells learned and those lvls (and same with fighters).

remakes (remakes remakes) skilltrees are simplified when compared to non-remakes (avernum 4-6 and exiles).

if caster has high enuf lvl to learn spell lvl 1 then he/she/it can learn it on next 2 lvls too.

best aoe spell you can get early is icy rain and that's usable throughout of game. priest lacks aoe spells until much later so priest should have enuf mage skill to be able to cast icy rain (and much later fireblast) and mage should be able to cast priest spells too.

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Citizen

• 39 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:58 PM #21 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

View PostEarth Empires, on 16 February 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

to see spell lvls click caster's profile (question mark) and then spells/abilities and you see spells learned and those lvls (and same with fighters).

remakes (remakes remakes) skilltrees are simplified when compared to non-remakes (avernum 4-6 and exiles).

if caster has high enuf lvl to learn spell lvl 1 then he/she/it can learn it on next 2 lvls too.

best aoe spell you can get early is icy rain and that's usable throughout of game. priest lacks aoe spells until much later so priest should have enuf mage skill to be able to cast icy rain (and much later fireblast) and mage should be able to cast priest spells too.
Thanks for that! How do you know if your spell level is high enough for level 3 spells after you have the first 2 ranks?

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,823 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:16 PM #22 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

View PostFoumantoo, on 16 February 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

Thanks for that! How do you know if your spell level is high enough for level 3 spells after you have the first 2 ranks?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Level 3 spells have exactly the same spellcasting skill requirement as the level 1 and 2 versions. If you can cast one, you can cast the other.

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• 736 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:41 PM #23 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

The chart in this post from Slartibus has what the requirements are for the spell books.  http://spiderwebforu...ation-list/  It also has recommendations for how much AL you should have at different points in the game.  I do not know what you consider spoilers, but here is a link to another chart that added some additional information to the chart linked above including caster level (mage or priest skill level) and cheapest location to buy.  http://avernumthemap.../CS_spells.html

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Citizen

• 39 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:02 PM #24 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

View PostLilith, on 16 February 2017 - 05:16 PM, said:

I'm not sure what you're asking. Level 3 spells have exactly the same spellcasting skill requirement as the level 1 and 2 versions. If you can cast one, you can cast the other.
Thank you!

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Citizen

• 39 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:03 PM #25 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

I found a piercing crystal that is used for barriers-with all these different barriers around I'm not sure what to use it one without wasting it.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,852 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:55 PM #26 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Save before using it so you don't waste it.

Almost all the barriers in the early part of the game will be dispelled by piercing crystals. There are just enough for all the ones you will see.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,701 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:50 AM #27 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

OTOH, you can also wait until you learn Dispel Barrier and come back for them.  That lets you sell the piercing crystals for extra cash.  I'd definitely save before using them, and if the stuff behind the barrier isn't a big upgrade (and it isn't in an out-of-the-way place you're never returning to) you can put it off.

Heart of Avadon

• 4,163 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:33 PM #28 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

even if you find lvl 3 spell book/tome before you have bought 1st 2 lvls you still have lvl 1 spell so you need to buy 1st 2 lvls.

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Citizen

• 39 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:02 PM #29 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

Hello again-thanks for answering all my questions-I have Grim Dawn, WoW, Deus Ex, and more and this is the game I'm losing sleep playing. I really get back to my old feelings when I play this type of game!

Anyway-question:
I had asked if there was a way to see you stats such as %to hit, etc and was told no, which is too bad when trying different types of armor etc-would be nice to see how different items change the character to better make decisions on them.

Also Is there a screen that shows your total points in say TU or AL, or do you have to add each one up yourself?

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,701 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:04 PM #30 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

The items themselves show you how they will change your stats when you hover over them.

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Citizen

• 39 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:17 PM #31 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

View PostAll Magic Comes with a Price, on 17 February 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

The items themselves show you how they will change your stats when you hover over them.
Right thanks -so I need to hover over each one, then add up the "-to hit" etc and get a total-then add up to offset of strength (or any other item that changes the stat) I have as a modifier etc?

Hmm would be nice to have the game keep track of that. I love the old school style of course but there are some UI things (like the above) that are real quality of life helpers, especially for a lazier gamer such as myself.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,701 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:04 PM #32 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

I don't think you understand how hit rate works.  Each attack has a base hit rate (often 50%).  You add all your to-hit bonuses to that, and your target gets to subtract all its evasion bonuses from that.  To-hit bonuses include 5% per point of the relevant stat (Strength for melee attacks, etc.) so your total to-hit bonus is usually going to be quite large, over 100% for most of the game.  Plus or minus 5% for an item isn't going to make too huge of a difference; enemy evasion, which depends on the enemy and their level, makes much more of a difference -- though you'll usually be at or near the 90% chance to hit cap anyway.

Knowing that your total bonus is 185% or whatever would not have any relevance to what equipment you choose to wear.  It really wouldn't.  What you're asking for is more clutter, not more useful information.

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• 736 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:50 PM #33 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

No, there is not anything that shows your party's total TU or AL.

Foumantoo Foumantoo

Citizen

• 39 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:17 PM #34 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

View PostAll Magic Comes with a Price, on 17 February 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

I don't think you understand how hit rate works.  Each attack has a base hit rate (often 50%).  You add all your to-hit bonuses to that, and your target gets to subtract all its evasion bonuses from that.  To-hit bonuses include 5% per point of the relevant stat (Strength for melee attacks, etc.) so your total to-hit bonus is usually going to be quite large, over 100% for most of the game.  Plus or minus 5% for an item isn't going to make too huge of a difference; enemy evasion, which depends on the enemy and their level, makes much more of a difference -- though you'll usually be at or near the 90% chance to hit cap anyway.

Knowing that your total bonus is 185% or whatever would not have any relevance to what equipment you choose to wear.  It really wouldn't.  What you're asking for is more clutter, not more useful information.
Oky doke. So an example of my Warrior would be:
12 Str =60% to Hit
Armor I'm wearing -40% chance to hit
and a Base rate of 50% to hit (or so)
Equals 70% chance to hit?
Honestly I really ain't worried about it as the explanation of Evasion etc makes sense. I just saw all this armor with a lot of minuses, and what seems like he misses often (sword and shield not dual wielding yet) and it seemed like a lot. The odd thing about it is I usually glaze over when I see people writing all the math involved when explaning internal game mechanics.
I assure you I prefer the magic of the games, not the math underneath.
Thanks

Heart of Avadon

• 4,163 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:16 PM #35 Question on Party Build for Newcomer to Series A2:CS

in AEFTP end game party (not equipped with alot of chance to hit decreasing items) kept missing hits against enemies in that xp grinding cave northwest from fort remote.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users