Milu, Tim Farland, & Shyguy

Does anyone know how to contact Milu, Tim Farland, and/or Shyguy? They all made some nice BoE graphics that might be nice to get permission to use. Tim Farland seems to be on LinkedIn but I'm not a member and so it won't let me contact him. Milu and Shyguy, I have no idea.

Would anyone who is on LinkedIn be willing to send Mr. Farland a message on behalf of the project? Just post here first and I'll give you a message you can send. Neither CM nor I have accounts there.

EDIT: Conveniently, my mom had just the other day signed up for a LinkedIn Premium trial and will send Mr. Farland my message. Still, if anyone knows of a more effective way to contact Milu or ShyGuy besides this forum, it'd be appreciated.

Yay! Tim Farland granted us his graphics! He didn't give us a specific license but for formality's sake I think CM is going to contact him on GitHub and ask him for some Creative Commons thing. I have a headache and maybe CM can give any further details if any are needed here.

Milu released her BoE content under CC-BY-SA! Just waiting on ShyGuy and Spidweb now. I would be shocked if Spidweb actually has an issue with us using Exile Trilogy graphics particularly since we have Andrew Hunter's blessing. I think CM and I are planning to just assume it's OK with them. But I sent a forum PM and an email to ShyGuy some time ago with no response.

I'm going to suggest to CM that we stop waiting for ShyGuy, since the handful of his graphics that we want are nice but not really essential, just a handful of flavor terrains. The biggest thing I'd miss is the Fungoid Queen because I love mushrooms, but I kinda just want to move ahead, unless anyone has any better ideas.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi all,

This is Tim F who drew graphics back in the early days of BOE! I was just a 14 year old kid and really loved the community and the game. Sharing scenarios and tile sets over slow dial-up internet from my rural town.

I was wondering if anyone has some of my old graphics saved? I lost them over the years. The Almighty Doer Of Stuff contacted me on linkedin some years ago saying he wanted to use them.

I ended up getting a Fine Arts degree, then becoming a professional programmer (business stuff, not games). I'm a middle-aged man now. My only creative outlet is making synthesizer music. I don't play games much, but still have fond memories. I reckon BOE could be a web-based game these days. Modern tech makes things a lot easier. Would you play something like that? Could probably have multiplayer aspects, too.

What happened to Luz P? - that was another sprite artist around in the early days. Amazing work.

How are you all doing? Anyone here from back in the day? Must be more than 20 years ago!

Hello, Tim! Yes, we have many of your graphics, and we picked out a bunch of them that will ship with BoE eventually. I was able to reach Luz and Milu and get permission to use their work as well. I never reached ShyGuy.

I can certainly ZIP your graphics and post them here in a bit. :) As for helping with the project and programming, Celtic Minstrel would be the one to talk to.

http://www.OpenBoE.com/ados/TimFBoEGraphics.zip

That's everything I could find, Tim. Some of it was mislabelled on the site where I got all the old graphics though; you can see one bear creature is labelled as being made by Kattana. Also, filename credits were chosen seemingly based on the scenario a modified graphic was taken from, rather than the original artist, in many cases. That Fungoid Queen graphic: Was that yours? Shyguy's graphics don't typically seem to reach that level of quality and I know he modified other graphics of yours. I'd like to stick some tentacles on it in place of the rocks, if I'm sure the graphic is clear to be included with the program someday.

Whoa thanks so much for that zip archive! I have been going through it - real blast from the past! Will save it properly this time (now that we have cloud storage).

You're right - the ones that aren't mine are the fungoid queen, and the bear creature you mentioned. And the Tiberium solider.

And thanks TM Paladin for the kind words about my music. This one is probably the most popular one I worked on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhyhHZV6mnU

I suppose you can find a lot more sprite artists out there these days. I went to a convention last year and was blown away by how skilled kids are these days.