Hello Everybody.

Arch-Mage Solberg

How is everyone doing around here? Me, I've been working a lot and haven't been on these forums for over a year. I was just checking in to see Avernum 3:Ruined World was coming out. Looks like we still have time to prepare for its release.

I did see something about a brand new game with a new engine. I wonder what that will be like?

Post #718

Hi, Solberg! I don't know much about A3:RW, I still haven't gotten through the first two. I beat E/A1 twice and started it a dozen more times and I can't seem to get back into it, but I might try again soon. I'm curious where Jeff is going after that; he's always been pretty resistant to breaking the formula that has been keeping him in business.

Open BoE is going strong, if you're interested in that.

I look at your Location note. When I think "In the Ether" I tend to think of Pete Townshend doing that strange, gurgling, near-retching "singing" he did from "Endless Wire". I'm not sure if that was one of his random "experiments" or if there was some point to it (I never caught the lyrics) but it always makes me cringe. It kinda sounds like it hurt. I know I can't do it.

own room ain't enuf for you?

Enough? I know that Avernum 3 is going to be awesome plus if the info on spiderweb is right, Avernum 3 had some kind of housing system, I wouldn't know because I didn't play the original Avernum 3, I am saving myself for remaster. And yes, Enough??? I need my own freaking castle with my servants and maids (like Rem and Ram) where they will praise me like a god!!!

Enough? I know that Avernum 3 is going to be awesome plus if the info on spiderweb is right, Avernum 3 had some kind of housing system, I wouldn't know because I didn't play the original Avernum 3, I am saving myself for remaster. And yes, Enough??? I need my own freaking castle with my servants and maids (like Rem and Ram) where they will praise me like a god!!!

And boxes I need a lot of boxes:

1 for wands

1 for scrolls

1 for potions

1 for herbs

1 for shields

1 for weapons

1 for other gear

1 for materials

1 for some epic things

1 for bags of meal

Exile 3 and Avernum 3 have a House on a Hill and Hawke's Manse. The house is abandoned, the mansion you buy. It's possible he'll add more for A3:RW, I don't know, but other than putting items you find to decorate there's not much to customize. There are some interesting encounters in the mansion though.

Jeff should not be encouraging hoarding.

well then he shouldn't give players n+1 fire/etc wands, etc. in ACS I have 2 piles in party's outer room in ToM and 1 in inner room and also 1 pile next to portal, all not that useful anymore (before last mission) if ever.

also in AEFTP after we finish Kyassa we have whole fortress in our use (same thing after clearing bandits) and in ACS if we kill 1 dragon we get whole cave to be used (same thing in AEFTP).

well then he shouldn't give players n+1 fire/etc wands, etc. in ACS I have 2 piles in party's outer room in ToM and 1 in inner room and also 1 pile next to portal, all not that useful anymore (before last mission) if ever.

also in AEFTP after we finish Kyassa we have whole fortress in our use (same thing after clearing bandits) and in ACS if we kill 1 dragon we get whole cave to be used (same thing in AEFTP).

But it just doesn't give a feeling like it is yours, it should say with BIG WORDS "Property of Microft and Cordelia" it would be cool if have our own pylon in our house/castle.

But it just doesn't give a feeling like it is yours, it should say with BIG WORDS "Property of Microft and Cordelia" it would be cool if have our own pylon in our house/castle.

in AEFTP&ACS and Avadons (besides 3 where party was very nomady) player got own room so ......... and if killed dragons then can claim those as property. there'll be more (quite likely) pylons in ARW than original had but its quite totally unlikely that player will be able to get own portal to for example Hawke's Mansion.

I was speaking more from the role playing stance. I'm a hunter, not a gatherer. I'm walking around finding enemies and killing them, using whatever is available. Does it really seem in-character to pause after the fight to gather up everything so I can bring it back to various traders for an exchange into gold, or to save those extra potions that'll never be used in battle because I put them in some save-location? Hell no. Make potions have an expiration date. Make wands have a breakage chance for every step you take. This idea that you need to save up a bunch of crap throughout a game instance is crazy. Cleaning? Nope, you are depriving every other resident of the underworld a chance to get some battlefield loot after the real warriors have moved on to the next fight. Let them worry about setting up house.

I was speaking more from the role playing stance. I'm a hunter, not a gatherer. I'm walking around finding enemies and killing them, using whatever is available. Does it really seem in-character to pause after the fight to gather up everything so I can bring it back to various traders for an exchange into gold, or to save those extra potions that'll never be used in battle because I put them in some save-location? Hell no. Make potions have an expiration date. Make wands have a breakage chance for every step you take. This idea that you need to save up a bunch of crap throughout a game instance is crazy. Cleaning? Nope, you are depriving every other resident of the underworld a chance to get some battlefield loot after the real warriors have moved on to the next fight. Let them worry about setting up house.

Dragons are collecting threasures in their lairs and so am I. And when the Avernum doomsday come and everybody is dying, I'll be chilling with my Nephil girl and drinking all the health elixirs I saved up.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure a spartan room in a fort is quite the same as a house or mansion. :p But yeah, you can keep loot there. In A3:RW I imagine you'll be able to leave it anywhere though.

We had both our own bedroom plus that other room we got some gear from near the barracks, which was pretty nice actually. I thought so, anyway.