Geneforge 4 Mac Issues?

Bearfax

Hey! Long time lurker, now an official member of the forums.

I've been a fan of the Geneforge series for a very long time, but after upgrading my main PC to Windows 8.1 a few years ago, the series had severe lag problems (which is a common issue as far as I know), and the common fixes didn't work, so I got the games again on Mac, and they've mostly been working fine. However, now that I'm replaying Geneforge 4, I'm having a few odd problems. For one, the cursor occasionally turns back into the normal cursor my Mac has, and the sprites for the creations on the creation making screen are over a distracting white background that clips over the edges of the normal borders; neither of these problems I remember having on Windows.

In addition, none of the games appear to have the ability to view enemy HP. I've tried right clicking, command-clicking, and everything else I could think of, but it doesn't seem to be working. Was this added to the Win version, or is my version glitched? I bought the game from the Humble link on the Spiderweb website, if it makes any difference.

Thanks in advance, & sorry for my potential noobishness. Hehe.

Hello there,

The Mac versions of Spiderweb games can behave slightly different, if you are used to the Windows versions. Most notably will be severely increased stability.

Jeff Vogel used to compile his Mac versions first, this may explain why, sadly, enemy HP numbers aren't shown in the Mac version.

Damage calculations are also slightly different on Mac.

The "white background" issue, is something consistently haunting all Mac Geneforge 4 versions.

(Image below, Boiling Caverns, demo version, OSX 10.5)

(link broken)

You may also have noticed that the "dirt wall" in the early Geneforges looks different in the Mac versions.

(Image below, Crumbling Docks, demo version, OSX 10.5)

(link broken)

But the cursor issue is something I have yet to experience.

I have bootable partitions with OSX's 10.4 to 10.11, but I have to admit I prefer to boot up on Mountain Lion (10.8) when I can,

so that's the only OSX on which I have played Spiderweb games for a considerable amount of time (grave understatement here).

Since Mountain Lion is one of the "better" OSX's and, arguably, together with Tiger (10.4) *the best *,

I cannot be a veritable stability-test account and I have yet to experience a crash or any such unforgivable design feature.

However, when you activate Mission Control, the cursor should change back to the standard Apple cursor, perhaps that's what's happening?

Try downloading the demo version on another Mac, preferably running another OS and see if the cursor still behaves oddly.

EDIT: sorry I can't add any image in this reply.

Hello there,

The Mac versions of Spiderweb games can behave slightly different, if you are used to the Windows versions. Most notably will be severely increased stability.

Jeff Vogel used to compile his Mac versions first, this may explain why, sadly, enemy HP numbers aren't shown in the Mac version.

Damage calculations are also slightly different on Mac.

The "white background" issue, is something consistently haunting all Mac Geneforge 4 versions.

(Image below, Boiling Caverns, demo version, OSX 10.5)

(link broken)

You may also have noticed that the "dirt wall" in the early Geneforges looks different in the Mac versions.

(Image below, Crumbling Docks, demo version, OSX 10.5)

(link broken)

But the cursor issue is something I have yet to experience.

I have bootable partitions with OSX's 10.4 to 10.11, but I have to admit I prefer to boot up on Mountain Lion (10.8) when I can,

so that's the only OSX on which I have played Spiderweb games for a considerable amount of time (grave understatement here).

Since Mountain Lion is one of the "better" OSX's and, arguably, together with Tiger (10.4) *the best *,

I cannot be a veritable stability-test account and I have yet to experience a crash or any such unforgivable design feature.

However, when you activate Mission Control, the cursor should change back to the standard Apple cursor, perhaps that's what's happening?

Try downloading the demo version on another Mac, preferably running another OS and see if the cursor still behaves oddly.

EDIT: sorry I can't add any image in this reply.

The issue with my mouse hasn't happened again, so I think it was just a one time issue. Thanks for the info, Dorikas!