Geneforge GF modding mod editor script

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic
alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• Member ID: 16,946
  • 684 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:48 AM #141 Scripting and modding GF5

Of course if you tell Alwan you stole his things he would get angry. But NOT stealing the tome and telling Alwan "I was told to steal a tome on canisters that not even you remembered you have, but I didn't" will make him believe you that you were told so by Rawal. And destroy the tome. Then pointing out to that mage in Perikalia that -another- illegally shaped fellow is in the park (the Rawal servant with the magic by canisters) and having her arrest him or telling Alwan would give Alwan all the proof he needs to go to the council. That servant of Rawal was not a geneforged freak to start with. He placed a control tool and gave canisters to an outsider human, not "illegal creation" thus turning him to illegal creation. And he keeps canisters in the repository that Alwan, if he moves fast, may secure as proof before he points the finger.

Alwan is the guy that spends resources to track Trakovites that were mostly peaceful. Would he risk Rawal using the Shapers resources AND the Rebellions tools to overthrow the Shapers after the war? Cause that's would not be impossible with Rawal conserving his power and building canisters, geneforges etc.
OK, he doesn't do it in the ending, but would it be a hard leap to imagine?
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia

GF5 mod with extra quest chain here!  Discover who you are and set up your base.

"Ohhh, no! No, it's so close! So close!" - Blxz, ambushed by an Unbound

Gameman112358 Gameman112358

Mercenary

• Member ID: 18,737
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:59 PM #142 Scripting and modding GF5

It can be done, you know. The part where you tell Alwan that he has an illegal canister tome in his library (which he probably doesn't even use, considering that he's propped up and attached to a machine 24/7) and get him to destroy the tome. Same with the part of telling Sage Pavyl that Trahan's a illegally shaped servant of Rawal (Though why her and not Alwan?). It wouldn't be hard to add some script to make it so that you can tell Alwan that he somehow has an illegal tome in his library.

The only problem is that continuing Rawal's quest line will be impossible at that point. I don't like Rawal, but he does give some pretty sweet rewards for doing stuff for him. You get a bunch of money, and the ability to use Major Heal and Shape Wingbolts by giving Rawal the tome. And the next quest you get after getting the tome gives you a permanent +1 Strength and +1 Dexterity, as well as an Essence Charm (+1 Intelligence, +3% Hostile Effect Resistance) for killing Platano. The only way I could see a player telling Alwan about the tome and telling Taygen that Rawal wanted to kill Platano respectively is if the rewards you get from the two are as good or better than what you get from Rawal. You'd also have to somehow make it possible to get Rawal's end reward even if you decide to disobey him and tell Alwan that he has the canister tome, which I imagine would lock you out from doing the "Kill Platano" quest.

I don't think Alwan even needs to secure the canisters from the repository. All you have to do is tell him about Rawal's secret Geneforge. You saw it, you were there, you have proof of its existence (Yourself, actually; since you use the Geneforge, you've been Shaped by it, which can be detected, I think. Probably more of Rawal's servants has been Shaped by that thing, possibly).

The Trakovites are attacked by both sides, mainly because they go against Shaping, something that both sides rely on the most. Go figure. XD Anyway, yeah, that's why I'm so bummed out that there's no way to get Rawal kicked out of the Shapers. There's no way to alter the ending text, so doing stuff like getting Rawal executed for his crimes will go against the text and break immersion, there's no option to straight up tell Astoria/Alwan/Taygen that Rawal has a f*cking Geneforge in his Foundry, no option to kill Rawal (unless you want to be forced into Ghaldring's faction).

Rawal legitimately scares me. Having Litalia leading the Trakovites is already dangerous on its own, considering that its Litalia, but Rawal somehow manages to come very very close to being just as bad as Litalia IMO, simply because, like you said, he's got Shaper resources and Rebel Shaping tools to simply roll over the other Shapers after the war (though if you go his "ending", it doesn't work out for him, strangely enough. You'd think with all of the powers he has, he'd be pretty capable of beating down the war weary rebels). It wouldn't be a hard leap to imagine, and that's why I'm trying to think of ways to script in a method to disgrace him, while also ensuring that you don't lose out on any rewards that you could've gotten from Rawal (Hell, I want the player to get bigger rewards for going against Rawal's wishes; not only is he a lying rat, he's undermining the Shaper war effort. The Shapers would probably be more than happy to generous reward someone that is going against a Shaper councilor undermining the war effort).

Like I said though, Rawal himself is proving to be untouchable, even though we modders are (in-universe) fourth wall omnipotent gods that can change the outcome with a few keystrokes. XD I'm starting to think that Rawal can see the fourth wall. XD XD XD

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:07 AM #143 Scripting and modding GF5

Yes, I can add script codes for the player to tell Alwan many many bad things about Rawal. But they would amount to nothing, unless I can find what causes Rawal to fall from grace in the finale text. Yes, it would kick the player out of Rawal's path and the rewards it gives. But the player can always choose to not give Alwan the tons of incriminating evidence against Rawal and keep getting paid or go forth with it.
At the time, there is no option to betray Rawal.

I know I can't edit or change the ending text, so Rawal can't be expelled by the Shapers, killed or executed. But there is text of him being set aside with minimized influence. At the time we guess it is tied to whether Greta died (?!?) and whether Astoria wins.

GF5 mod with extra quest chain here!  Discover who you are and set up your base.

idonotexist42 idonotexist42

Mercenary

• Member ID: 18,409
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:58 PM #144 Scripting and modding GF5

See Rawal doesn't worry me much because even though he hordes power, he doesn't seem inclined to lash out with it or actually use it much at all, he just kind of stockpiles it for "eventually" using it, his ambition isn't tempered by morals or compassion or anything particularly benevolent, but his ambition does seem to be tempered by caution to the point of being almost paralyzed by it. Astoria and I think some other characters talk about how all of the councilors have "broken" somehow, and the way Rawal has broken is to collapse inward and ignore the world and wait the war out and hope all the stuff he stockpiled will help him come out on top then, but he doesn't move to change the fate of the war himself. He has a very vague agenda and while he clearly seems to want to end up in charge of the shapers, he isn't an ideologue who would be willing to see the world burn just to advance his philosophy. he just sits and waits for a chance he tells himself will come. He's checked out of the plot almost, hiding in his mountains.

And in the endings, when that chance does come and he does wind up in power, he turns out to be a decent and pragmatic leader. he's actually a fairly moderate shaper to begin with too, he's no liberal like Astoria, but he's no Alwan or Taygen.

don't get me wrong, I really despise Rawal just the same. Largely because of how he treats the PC; I don't care what his redeeming features are when he sticks a control tool in my chest and lords it over me like that treating me like a slave. nah. he made it personal for me. I wanted to kill Rawal so badly that I almost joined Ghaldring on my first play through even though I sympathized most with Astoria and didn't particularly like Ghaldring. Now that Im doing a Rebel play through, I am eagerly looking forward to striking that pompous a-hole down for trying to use me as his puppet. I'm just waiting till I kill Platano and get that last reward.

but if I hadn't encountered him in that context and I'd just run into him without my whole dynamic of that relationship shaped from the beginning of the game the way it does, I think I'd just find him mildly contemptible and not have such a visceral loathing of him.

What I do wish is that there was a way to get into all of the Foundry Repository Vaults regardless of which faction you join. Make them really difficult to get if you're not aligned to the right faction, but don't have those rewards locked out completely. Maybe each councilor could drop their respective keys, or there could be some special boss (or bosses) somewhere else, or have it tied into other quest lines somehow. It might make sense to have it connected to Rawal since he oversees the repository, he could have some secret master key that he's not supposed to have stashed away somewhere.

Also there ought to be a way for Rebel Characters to get those third points in Gazer and Drakon so they can make Ur-Drakons and Eyebeasts, since currently as far as I know the canisters you'd need are only in Inner-Ghazaki-Uss where you have the final battle to kill Ghaldring. Even for Shaper Characters it'd make sense to have a way to get those creations somewhere else a little earlier because  they're almost useless at that point, you're already in the middle of the final battle at that point, At best you only get to use them in one fight, and since you may well be locked in combat for the rest of the game at that point you might not get to make them at all. I feel like you should get them towards the end of the game still but earlier enough that if you go through the effort to get them you still have time to flex your newfound powers and revel in the glorious slaughter your Eyebeasts and Ur-Drakons are capable of, and already have them with you when you knock on Ghaldring's door, come prepared.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:28 AM #145 Scripting and modding GF5

I'm trying to think of ways to reflect that; maybe if you create a vlish, your creations get some stat buffs? (Only problem I'm seeing is how it can be scripted in; I don't really know any tricks to do so at the moment.)
A variation of the following for the zones you're interested at:

Go to zXXname.txt

variables;
sort num=9

//////// LATER AT THE INIT STATE, give the bonus based on a "do I have a PC made Vlish in the party? flag
beginstate INIT_STATE;
While (num<9) {
  if (creature_type(num) == 90) {
   sf(95,0,1); // Just a random unused flag.
   }
num=num+1;
}
if (gf(95,0)==1) {
While (num<9) {
set_attack_bonus(num,1);
num=num+1;
}
}

//////// LATER AT THE EXIT STATE, revert to 0 bonuses

beginstate EXIT_STATE;
if (gf(95,0)==1) {
While (num<9) {
set_attack_bonus(num,0);
sf(95,0,0);
num=num+1;
}
}

Mercenary

• 81 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:45 PM #146 Scripting and modding GF5

View Postalhoon, on 12 March 2017 - 11:17 PM, said:

Someone should make a mod about that; checking that Litalia died and then being the talk in taverns in the random bubbles or random people, with big rewards from Shapers. And by big rewards I don't mean 600 gp, a gem, 2 crystals and a wand you don't need. I mean something really big. Rawal is Shaping-others-prone but the rest should offer LOTS of money at least.
Not just a ton of money. But also some Shaper training as a reward, which increases some of your stats. Shapers don't necessarily have to Shape you to give you new skills, they can simply give you some training lessons, which in-game have the same effect as using canisters or being Shaped. You can also get cheaper training, or some other rewards for your service to the Shapers. Perhaps you can even be given a position at one of the Storm Plains forts that are holding the rebels back, to push the envelope a little bit (Fort Rockfall, specifically. The Shapers would probably be more than happy to have you be at the front lines fighting the rebels, as well as helping to fortify Rockfall. They say one Shaper is an army, after all. Not mentioning that the commander there is absolutely miserable; he'd probably be more than happy to have someone else take his position).*

However, killing Litalia will probably make it very hard to convince the rebels that you're friendly to them. I'm thinking though that it will make it impossible for you to get into Ghaldring's faction (perhaps simply make Gazaki-Uss attack you on sight if you kill Litalia, essentially locking you out of the rebels. I'm assuming you're in the late game and you've already done being Alwan's envoy, since I find it unlikely that someone would kill Litalia early to mid game), but it won't greatly affect your chances of getting into Astoria's faction (remember, Astoria requires you be more sympathetic to the rebels. At the same time though, I doubt either Astoria or Greta will mind seeing Litalia die, considering that she's insane, and in GF5, is pretty much outright evil considering her actions).

It wouldn't be hard to do, really; there's already a set_flag in the script that is triggered when Litalia dies (sf(101,9,1) ;). It wouldn't be hard to simply make it so that when the flag is set, you are given the option to tell one of the Shaper councilors that you killed Litalia. After getting your reward, set the flag higher (sf(101,9,2) ;), which will enable cheaper Shaper training and (possibly) the option to take command of Fort Rockfall, along with some other stuff I'll think of later.

I'll see if I can do this in my spare time. I don't really have a lot of time these days, so...

*It would essentially be your warrior mod, Alhoon. Where you get to control a fort and the soldiers in it, giving them upgrades, bringing them with you, etc. Only difference is that you're doing it on the side of the Shapers, whereas your mod sounds like you gain control over a rebel fortification instead. If I implemented such a thing, I'd probably use the Zone Simulator to add more creatures to the zone, maybe some unique soldiers that have their own entry in the Gf5itemsandchars script and have their own unique attacks and capabilities as well.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:58 AM #147 Scripting and modding GF5

They say one Shaper is an army, after all. Not mentioning that the commander there is absolutely miserable; he'd probably be more than happy to have someone else take his position

That's not how military operates BUT, I can could see it happening as Alwan gets to trust you more and more. However, give a fort to an illegal abomination? That's getting it too far even for a bend-the-law approach of Alwan.
What could be more realistic is the character becoming the leader-behind-the-throne in Rockfall. An attached mercenary\councilor that is calling the shots without alerting the whole Shaper Empire that Alwan gave part of the Line to geneforged individuals that worked(?) for Rawal.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:43 AM #148 Scripting and modding GF5

Searing lighting does insane amounts of damage... With my warrior I can kill a wartrall after clearing part of Mera-Tev (level 20). I removed it from one of the batons the player can find early on.

Mercenary

• 94 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:00 PM #149 Scripting and modding GF5

View PostGameman112358, on 14 March 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

However, killing Litalia will probably make it very hard to convince the rebels that you're friendly to them. I'm thinking though that it will make it impossible for you to get into Ghaldring's faction (perhaps simply make Gazaki-Uss attack you on sight if you kill Litalia, essentially locking you out of the rebels.

Killing Litalia resulting in you being locked out of Ghaldring's faction doesn't make ANY sense. For one thing, one of the quests FROM HIS FACTION is specifically to Kill Litalia, the Drakon Researcher in the lab gives you that quest. Sure, Litalia cofounded the Rebellion and perhaps to some of the rebel humans and serviles she's still a war hero, but to Ghaldring, she's a Traitor and a dangerous Enemy. She turned on him, and is now directly working against him, so both his pride and strategic prudence dictate that he wants her dead. I'm surprised he doesn't give you the kill-quest personally. I can't imagine him overlooking that kind of betrayal, he probably wants her severed head on a silver platter as much or more than any of the Shapers, a traitor is usually viewed worse than someone who was a foe all along, and the closer and dearer that person was before they turned traitor, the deeper that betrayal wounds and the more hatred and vengeful rage it inspires.

The point of this post isn't that ideologically I am pro or anti Litalia/Ghaldring, or to cast judgement on her decision to leave the rebellion to lead the Trakovites, but to point out the dynamic that the relationship between Litalia and Ghaldring likely would have taken on given what she did and his seeming general attitude. Greta might feel bad about Litalia getting killed, but Ghaldring almost certainly WANTS her dead.

beyond that personal vendetta on Ghaldring's part for her betrayal, there's also the fact that even though the Trakovites count as a "Rebel-Ish" faction, they are not only separate from but opposed to the main Rebellion. The Trakovites think that the Rebels are just as bad as the Shapers if not worse, and the Rebels seem as viciously opposed to the Trakovites as the shapers are. Slaughtering the Trakovites and killing their Leader ought to help put you in the Rebels' good graces, not lock you out of joining the Rebellion.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:34 PM #150 Scripting and modding GF5

There are a few mistakes in that post.

but to Ghaldring, she's a Traitor and a dangerous Enemy

Ghaldring almost certainly WANTS her dead
Not at all. For many Drakons yes, but Ghaldring aggressively stops any talk of killing Litalia, hence the Drakon researcher asks you to do it in secret because even hinting at it makes Ghaldring angry. It is in his dialogue for the quest. From what I got from her dialogue, Litalia has connections to Ghaldring's part of the Rebellion more than Astoria's but that is not as clearly stated as the part that Ghaldring threatens everyone hinting to take action against Litalia.

Probably Ghaldring thinks he can get her back. Also, the Trakovites don't act against the Rebels till suddenly Litalia goes Berserk and sends her agents to kill Ghaldring, that trusted and protected her and shielded her from the wrath of his underlings.

The Trakovites think that the Rebels are just as bad as the Shapers if not worse, and the Rebels seem as viciously opposed to the Trakovites as the shapers are.
Not any more. Litalia was the Rebel leader that was as opposed to the Trakovites as the Shapers. Not the rest of the Rebels. They don't like them very much, but they tolerate them and give them refuge according to the dialogue in the game.
And I was let to believe the majority of the Rebels didn't know that Litalia (that was spending energy in GF4 to hunt Trakovite Drayks as the rebellion was close to collapse) leads the Trakovites.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:52 AM #151 Scripting and modding GF5

I am in the process of adding a new zone (more to see how I can implement it for another mod). I started easily: With a cave! It's also a squeaky clean cave, cause if there was litter, I would have to add every broken baton piece and towel and skull by hand.

It is in the game and I have tested it. It's connected to another zone properly.

Now, I have to fill it with creations, items, etc.

Mercenary

• 81 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:35 PM #152 Scripting and modding GF5

View Postalhoon, on 23 March 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

That's not how military operates BUT, I can could see it happening as Alwan gets to trust you more and more. However, give a fort to an illegal abomination? That's getting it too far even for a bend-the-law approach of Alwan.
What could be more realistic is the character becoming the leader-behind-the-throne in Rockfall. An attached mercenary\councilor that is calling the shots without alerting the whole Shaper Empire that Alwan gave part of the Line to geneforged individuals that worked(?) for Rawal.
I will admit I didn't really think the idea through very much. I was sorta just thinking of a possible reward you'd get for helping the Shapers in such a way (Killing Litalia should get you something pretty big; not just some money, which runs out pretty fast in my experiences with the game).

And yeah, I don't really know anything about military operations, so forgive me if it seems like I'm a little out of my depth in that regard.

View Postalhoon, on 24 March 2017 - 11:43 AM, said:

Searing lighting does insane amounts of damage... With my warrior I can kill a wartrall after clearing part of Mera-Tev (level 20). I removed it from one of the batons the player can find early on.
I don't remember making any baton that explicitly gave you searing lightning as a spell, unless you're referring to the fact that one of the batons gives you a bunch of extra magic stats...

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:04 PM #153 Scripting and modding GF5

I was referring to the Batons and sword (energized sword) that gives after striking that lighting aura (Kyshaak attack) that does easily a good 100-110 damage per round for a lot of rounds. Assuming 2 rounds + the hit, that's a weapon dealing 300-400 damage in the hands of a 20 lvl warrior\Guardian. Any such weapon blows everything else out of the water. What I mean is that after you get the channeler or Physician baton or th Energized sword, you will probably never change them. They are so much better than anything else that the other weapons are nearly pointless.

You may say "OK, put the recipes near the end!" I did that for the chaneler Baton, but the Energized sword comes very early (since you get the flaming sword by Makar) and I have added the recipe in Helf ruins.

In the case of your mod, that the player can make the items without need of a recipe, it's not a big problem. But for the warrior Mod, I want the player having an eye out in ruins to find recipes. After they get their first baton\weapon...they won't have to. :(
As such, instead of changing the order of the recipes I took the Searing Lighting out of the "early" weapons.

Mercenary

• 94 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:18 AM #154 Scripting and modding GF5

In my personal mods, I gave the original flaming Sword that energy DOT and it doesn't seem OP, the damage is more in line with your average acid or poison. I also made it do fire damage instead of physical, so it's less useful against enemies who resist fire, such as all those Drakons towards the end. Its energy DOT becomes less useful later in the game as well, at least if you shape, because once you have Kyshakks they can spread that lightning effect around more effectively than the sword and they don't stack as far as I know.

I changed lightning aura and essence lances so they hit multiple targets. Lightning aura hits 3, essence lances hits 5. I also changed Kyshakks so they use the weaker Lightning aura instead of the more powerful essence lances, to balance out it's ability to spray multiple enemies with lightning to spread that DOT around. Gives it a more specialized role with more utility so it's not just a gimped Wingbolt. The upgraded Kyshak, the charged one I gave the more powerful essence lances spell to differentiate it from the basic Kyshakk more.

I also made reapers apply the energy dot effect because it seemed weird that the most powerful kind of Thorn didn't apply any status effects.

if anyone is interested I can send them my modded GF5 scripts. they're not quite done yet I need to tune the numbers for balance a little better, currently my character seems a little OP, though that's partly because I power-gamed like hell. I think I'm going to buff the health of later game enemies to compensate so the player can still feel good seeing those big numbers when they hit but they're not face-rolling their way through the endgame slaughtering everything with zero effort or risk.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:01 AM #155 Scripting and modding GF5

Acid and poison dots do like 20-30 damage over time. The energy dot deals ~100-120 each turn for level 12 item. Perhaps I did something wrong, because despite changing it to lower and lower damage, I couldn't get it below ~60 damage with status damage per level = 1 and base = 0.

Mercenary

• 94 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:03 PM #156 Scripting and modding GF5

View Postalhoon, on 27 March 2017 - 08:01 AM, said:

Acid and poison dots do like 20-30 damage over time. The energy dot deals ~100-120 each turn for level 12 item. Perhaps I did something wrong, because despite changing it to lower and lower damage, I couldn't get it below ~60 damage with status damage per level = 1 and base = 0.
huh, that is odd. I'll have to double check if the numbers I'm remembering are accurate but I've not seen the energy dot spike quite that high. If I remember correctly acid and poison did less damage than the energy dot but more than you're saying and the energy dot didn't qo quite that high, more like 60ish per turn tops.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:08 PM #157 Scripting and modding GF5

60/turn for Mera and Early storm plains is still a lot.
I'm steamrolling through most encounters even after changing the energy dot to curse. The baton itself in my character's hands deals reliably 100-120 damage.

Mercenary

• 94 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:37 PM #158 Scripting and modding GF5

huh, well it's probably OP for the baton if you get it as early as Mera but a guardian wielding my buffed burning blade seemed ok in the early storm plains and stayed competitive later on because of how my damage scaled with stat boosts from my other gear and my skill points. I think it did do about 100 damage a turn even in the early storm plains when I first had it, but because I had to wade into packs of enemies and still didn't have super high armor or resistances there was a very real risk of me dying even if I could two-shot most average foes. Having a ranged attack that does that much that early is definitely op. I remember that how effective the energy dot was is highly dependent on the kind of creations you're fighting. the magic creations all have really high energy resistance and in storm plains there's a lot of Glaakhs and they are tough melee tank-ish on top of that. they barely took anything from it. Then the battle creations that you're fighting all have higher health so they can soak up more damage before croaking even though it hurts them more. Things like Cryoas and Roamers and other kinda mid-tier creations without high energy resistances or super high health were the only foes that it really wrecked.

I like making the different special weapons all have situational uses where they confer a distinct advantage, are modestly effective against most average foes, and then are severely ineffective in others, gives the player more reason to keep them all around instead of selling them.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:37 PM #159 Scripting and modding GF5

I entered the storm plains. Without creations, I could beat a War trall in one-v-one with the baton drinking just 1-2 pods. With the sword, which does more DoT I would have probably not need the 2 pods.

But more or less we say the same: You didn't have a reason to change your sword most of the time. Till the end of the game.
That in my opinion, invalidates future weapons if you have your finale weapon by early game.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:03 PM #160 Scripting and modding GF5

Check here ...
I am good. I am very good. :cool:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Geneforge, GF, modding, mod, editor, script

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users