Upcoming Titles

Kingy

Just curious if there's any available list of any upcoming titles available anywhere other than the vague

"What Are We Working On Now? We are working on a fancy remaster of our all-time most popular game. It’ll be a while before we have hard information. But it’s happening."

that appears on the front page. I realise with Jeffs work load there's likely only ever one title in the works until it's pumped out then on to another, but just wondering if there is a rough release schedule or a list where potential upcoming titles etc may appear

Any replies are much appreciated,

Kingy

Current - Avernum 3 remake

Next - ?

Jeff has mentioned a new game with a new game engine is in the works. Jeff hasn't been real informative with his schedule since he's been slowing down with illnesses and old age (the young whippersnapper). :)

Yea that's kind of what I figured, hes not a spring chicken any more. I do pop in every 6 months or so to check and see if there's any new information or games, but was just wondering if there was another location I had missed that had better details.

Thats no worries though, appreciate the responses and I'll just keep up my periodic visits until I get suckered into the next title that gets released

Next title is Memeforge.

The [bad people] control the normies via memes and their word is law.

While training to become a new [bad person], your ISP crashes and you land on a forum that has been buried for 200 years.

After necro-ing the hell out of the three major sub-forums, you must choose where you want to [spam] all your new memes.

The [bad people] however, will not be happy.

Edited by Triumph
Cleaning up a little

We are working on a fancy remaster of our all-time most popular game

I'd thought that was Geneforge. Oh well, it's probably next in line after Avernum 3.

Edit : Jeff says that the Geneforge remake will happen in 3+ years : https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/52xrub/im_jeff_vogel_i_run_spiderweb_software_since_1994/

• 2 months later...

From Jeff's most recent blog (March 29, 2017):

"Next year, I am going to write an all new game engine and series. I think it's going to be really neat and different from what I've done before, and I'm excited about it. But I'll tell you this: Its development is going to be LEAN AND MEAN.

I'm using as little custom art and music as I can. (Working title is "Unity Asset Store: The Game.") Any way I can cut costs and still maintain a constant art style and game quality, I will take it, and I won't apologize. This market doesn't allow for blowing money unnecessarily anymore, at least not for me."

http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2017/03/writing-indie-games-is-like-being.html#comment-form

long, long sigh

This could honestly be an OK thing. Some of the most evocative SW art came about for games where SW had fewer resources.

I also suspect that this has far more relevance to the huge professional paintings that there have been gobs of in recent games, than to basic terrain tilesets, creatures, and other things that Jeff has been using his own stockpile of since 2002.

I also suspect that this has far more relevance to the huge professional paintings that there have been gobs of in recent games, than to basic terrain tilesets, creatures, and other things that Jeff has been using his own stockpile of since 2002.

We can hope.

I'm not concerned that the game itself will be bad, of course. I don't think Spiderweb is actually capable of putting out a bad game at this point, given the level of experience Jeff has, and I don't think Spiderweb ever HAS put out a bad game. My concern is that cutting costs and using premade assets might harm the game's prospects.

In that blog post Jeff talks about the "discoverability" problem devs have on storefronts like Steam, and it strikes me as ironic that he then talks about using Unity Asset Store stuff, which can only make his game less distinctive and memorable, because for any given asset you get from the Unity store, at least a dozen other games on Steam are gonna be using it.

I dunno, it just gives me a creeping bad feeling... I have a friend who released a Unity game on Steam, with 100% original assets, backed by a decent-sized publisher (which had published other games that were hits on Steam), with sexy professional commissioned banner art... and it flopped, likely because it really still didn't stand out very much from the crowd.

I think Jeff can't hope to compete on graphics. He can throw a moderate amount of money at the problem for no benefit or huge amounts of money for questionable benefit; his games just aren't pretty and making them so would be a huge investment. Where he does have an advantage is a built-up brand. He's not in the boat of yet another unknown release on Steam. There are people watching for his releases, and there's good word of mouth. That's a huge thing for a tiny business.

Granted, I'd appreciate prettier game. I think there's a lot of room between high-res 3D fancy stuff and the honestly ugly, not-quite-cartoony graphics Spiderweb has been using. But I don't think Jeff really gets all that much marginal utility out of making things prettier.

—Alorael, who sees graphics as one of the huge cost bottlenecks of games. Programming is a skill, but you can learn it. Writing is a prerequisite to story-driven games. But it's hard to get those qualities recognized if your art is no good, and even a rather bad game will still get a lot of attention if the eye candy is eye-catching enough.

If looking for a new engine > OpenMW, as it is release is "close" and it will be for the time being (..) a very good option.

Especialy of course as to Heroic Fantasy of course, this being the setting for Morrowind, a pack with the req for base worlds in the others style is being constitued.

Of course, its a 3D engine, with scripts, and quite a lot of others area to go and master. Where the editor is develloped alongside the engine (no surprise it is ?, Talking ElderScrolls here, somewhat).

To be seen in any case. Best of luck to you, Jeff !

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-4-9 at 3:01 AM, Randomizer said:

From Jeff's most recent blog (March 29, 2017):

I'm using as little custom art and music as I can. (Working title is "Unity Asset Store: The Game.") Any way I can cut costs and still maintain a constant art style and game quality, I will take it, and I won't apologize. This market doesn't allow for blowing money unnecessarily anymore, at least not for me."

No problem for me. Good to hear you  are gonna make something new. You got my support !

• 4 months later...

Well, this is the first time I look into this fourm so I do not know where this should be put at.

Just sharing a piece of my thought, Avernum is by far the best IOS RPG I have ever played, period.

I played and finished it on ipad in 2012, and I loved it. The story is profound and the system is well thought and balanced.

I was frustrated first when I couldn't find the game in my purchased list then I saw devoloper's note about their issue with new IOS platform.

I just want to say, the game was worth every penny, and I will definitly buy again if the team decided to bring it back.

thanks!

18 hours ago, kamlanaut said:

I played and finished it on ipad in 2012, and I loved it. The story is profound and the system is well thought and balanced.

I was frustrated first when I couldn't find the game in my purchased list then I saw devoloper's note about their issue with new IOS platform.

I am a little confused about your having a problem with your iPad version of Avernum. Jeff updated all 6 of the iPad games to the latest Apple requirements within the past year.

You should re-download and see if you still have a problem.

1 hour ago, Painted Lady said:

I am a little confused about your having a problem with your iPad version of Avernum. Jeff updated all 6 of the iPad games to the latest Apple requirements within the past year.

You should re-download and see if you still have a problem.

Orz hahaha.....SORRY for the false alert. I just realized that I was trying to find the app with my iphone.

Now i see the game I bought on Ipad. Nevertheless, Avernum is a great game, I think i'm going to buy black fortress too.

thx for the help too.

Edited by kamlanaut
found the game on ipad ...derp...

• 2 months later...

I was hoping for an Avadon 4 but I'm sure the new series will be fun. Avadon and Exile/Avernum are my two favorite Spiderweb series but after playing all six Avernum games and both Avernum remakes in the past 3 years I would prefer more Avadon over Avernum 7 right now, especially with the remake of Avernum 3 coming.