avernum 5 - where to buy?

ArchMage81

now i know why i dont buy on steam!!!

It's not really Steam's fault, or at least not directly. The Mac versions of Spiderweb games released prior to Avadon use resource forks to store the games' graphics, sounds, and other data. This method has been deprecated on macOS for quite some time, and very few applications still used them when Steam started supporting macOS. One major issue with resource forks is that, if the file containing them is stored on a filesystem that does not support them, the data is lost. For this reason, and the fact that Valve has little impetus to develop support for a file that Apple has deprecated for over a decade, games containing resource forks cannot be sold on Steam.

One major issue with resource forks is that, if the file containing them is stored on a filesystem that does not support them, the data is lost.

This is an overstatement. Resource forks can be safely stored on any filesystem iff they are first compressed (or otherwise packaged) by a program that does support them. Compressing and expanding files are not difficult tasks.

I understand why Steam made the choice they did -- there would be very real trade-offs involved in dealing with games that have resource forks -- but it was nonetheless a choice.