Escape From the Pit for Mac - file type trouble?

Doz

Hi all, I'm trying to download Exile: Escape From the Pit for Macintosh v2.0.1 from the Spiderweb website but having a few issues - I used to know this stuff but OS8.6 was a long time ago, I've not touched a 'classic' Mac OS since, and my memory isn't what it was - could anyone give me a pointer please?

The download file is a zip file - "ExileInstaller.zip", but when I download it, either within OS8.6 (emulated on a Win 7 PC) or using the PC itself, the archive extracts to two files - "._Exile Installer" and "Exile Installer", both of these either have no file type or show as text files depending on whether I use Stuffit or Maczip to extract them. I'm guessing this is down to the emulation, but I thought if I knew the correct file type etc I could probably make the installer run. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Doz

Presumably, those installers were applications (type APPL under the old system). That said, if you extract it in 8.6 and it doesn't come out correctly there, it suggests that something else might be wrong -- StuffIt and company could certainly handle file types, and I'm not sure how the emulator could interfere with that.

Did you try the .sit version (of the Demo) that is linked on the same page of the website? It says SW will give out free keys for that version. But even if you don't want to bug them, that would at least determine if the problem is with the zip archive or if it's on your end.

Error -39 is an unexpected EOF error, so there's definitely something weird with that zip archive. Google gives me this:

"Another possibility exists as well. If the .smi or .sea file was encased in a ZIP archive, before you tried to use it, THAT would have caused the -39 error. Most (but not all) ZIP tools destroy the internal structure of any Mac format file processed by the tool.

The result is error -39 when an unsuspecting user tries to open the file."

So most likely, that zip archive is completely unusable, period. If you do email Spiderweb to ask for a demo key, I suggest passing this info on as well. (I'm assuming that an unzipping utility with "mac" in the name is going to be one of the ones that doesn't destroy Mac file formats.)

That depends what you mean by ".zip support." 10.3 was when Apple included built-in decompression tools for .zip files, but the big change that made the zip format friendlier for macs was the move away from use of the resource fork, which was a little more gradual and probably attaches to the original release of OS X more than anything. (Unzipping utilities for Mac existed long, long before any of that.)