Continuous storyline...?

Gavindale Marchovia

A thought - I am a ways into Avadon, am enjoying the game, so that's fine, but I'm also buying a PS4 as a personal gift for myself. I'm eager to hop into that, but in the past I have come to see that if a person is into an RPG, and then leaves it be for a while, when that player goes back to the game, the storyline is forgotten, and thus the game is ruined (unless he/she wants to start over again, which is a huge hassle). I want to finish Avadon before getting my PS4, because I have found in the past that if I did hop into a different RPG, I would soon forget the storyline to the original game. Honestly, I do want to finish Avadon - and want to play other games - and I was also worried that if the storyline between Avadon 1 and Avadon 2 are intertwined, and I forget what I was doing in Avadon 1, the whole playing experience is moot and lost. Earth Empires posted above that Avadon 2 can be played without playing Avadon first. This leads me to believe that Avadon and Avadon 2 are not as connected as I thought, and that if I finish Avadon, I can move on to other RPGs and (eventually) come back to the Avadon trilogy without risking losing the storyline (to a degree where I don't know what is going on, what I am doing, and what the game is fundamentally about).

Throughout the Avadon games there are Codexes you can read that tell you about the lands, past history, and important people. They serve as reminders about what happened in the previous games and the area you are exploring.

You don't need the information, but it helps to connect the games.

With each chapter of Avadon you start over with a new party and a slightly different set of available character abilities, so having a gap between playing them is not a problem at all. As Randomizer said, the codexes will fill you in on the back story. I did not replay Avadon 2 when Avadon 3 came out and did not feel like I was missing anything.