Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Lets Play Blades of Avernum

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic
Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 6,380
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:43 AM #176 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Appreciate the link Kelandon, it helps a lot!  I'll make the "what is Blademaster's requirements" in one more episode a bit down the line, but that's only because it was already filmed.  As for the comment about combat... less reloading is good in my opinion.  And so far, things have been a bit better.  I haven't been as frustrated.

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:19 AM #177 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

This episode reminded me: I've always prepared for combat in combat mode. It makes the buffs last longer. Outside of combat mode, if you're casting four Blesses, four Hastes, and Radiant Shield, then from the time you cast the first spell to when you actually enter the combat, you've let nine turns elapse. If you do it in combat mode, you might let about about three or four turns elapse. That five or six turns can actually make a little difference in a longer fight, and with the combat slowdown in Exodus, many fights will be longer fights.

Also, what you've been doing the past couple of episodes is the reason that there's no food in the HLPM (or anywhere else in my scenarios, except as junk). I wasn't aware that anybody actually rested in the outdoors. Running back and forth seems more efficient to me.

Finally, just FYI (because I wasn't sure if you know this, based on the most recent episode), multiple Slows just make the Slow last longer. They don't actually make the effect any greater.
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:45 AM #178 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

View PostKelandon, on 06 April 2017 - 06:19 AM, said:

Also, what you've been doing the past couple of episodes is the reason that there's no food in the HLPM (or anywhere else in my scenarios, except as junk). I wasn't aware that anybody actually rested in the outdoors. Running back and forth seems more efficient to me.
It is, except in areas where you can't really do that without heavy risk or a lot more time than needed.  Such as, say, the Lava Ocean (Yes I've reached that in my recordings).  Very small amounts of land, with one false step meaning lots of pain?  I'd rather camp than blindly run around in circles, thanks.

We reach a fort, which appears to be full of barbarians.  Oh goodie!

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:58 AM #179 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Well we haven't cleared much of this fort, so it's time to clear out the rest.  Maybe we'll find something useful.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:00 AM #180 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

I do like the atmosphere of this region, well done.  The mage however, is a bit annoying.

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:37 AM #181 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

It seems as though you've had issues with Forcecages. The BoA Manual says that Mass Curing "weakens" Forcecages; if I remember correctly, that means that it dispels them entirely.

Also, it's not clear to me whether you know this, so I'll just point out that the limitation is one spellbook of each type per PC. You probably should make spellbooks for Bonnie, too. (Maybe you haven't yet because you don't know many special spells for priests, but you will soon.)

It looks as though I should've tagged the third event in the Multiple Heal and Summon script to a higher level of health; it looks like it's pretty easy to kill the monster before the third summon happens. Oh well.

Enjoy the Lava Ocean. It's tied for my favorite part of Exodus (tied with the Peninsula Camp sequence, much later).

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:01 AM #182 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Well, I'm an idiot.

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:36 AM #183 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Crap, that's a bug. That message isn't supposed to say that. What happened is that I originally had an Orb of Thralni-like item that would get you across the river, and the message changed depending on whether you had the item. I then switched it to the spell Flight, but I forgot to change the message to depend on whether you had the spell — so you always get the "you don't have the right item" dialog.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:41 AM #184 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

View PostKelandon, on 10 April 2017 - 08:36 AM, said:

Crap, that's a bug. That message isn't supposed to say that. What happened is that I originally had an Orb of Thralni-like item that would get you across the river, and the message changed depending on whether you had the item. I then switched it to the spell Flight, but I forgot to change the message to depend on whether you had the spell — so you always get the "you don't have the right item" dialog.
I can tell you now that it's not the only bug you missed.  I'm far enough ahead that I found another bug or oversight that left me very, Very, VERY irritated.  But that's a ways away.

A story is told, as we learn quite a bit about one of our three leaders, and then we move on to find the next stop in our journey.

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:35 AM #185 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

View PostChessrook44, on 11 April 2017 - 12:41 AM, said:

I can tell you now that it's not the only bug you missed.  I'm far enough ahead that I found another bug or oversight that left me very, Very, VERY irritated.  But that's a ways away.
I'm not surprised. Exodus was extremely ambitious and also extremely buggy as originally designed. My beta testers were very helpful, but as it turns out, Windows BoA is a lot more buggy than Mac BoA, so I spent a lot of time hunting down things that I couldn't reproduce on my own computer. At the end of the day, even after extensive testing, some things snuck through. (A lot of Unhandled Exceptions, in particular, which exist only on Windows BoA — although I think I've found the reasons for some of them now.)

An eagle-eyed player a couple years ago noticed that two of the highest-level versions of spells are impossible to get within the scenario, one because I deleted a dungeon (for reasons I can't remember) and one because I set a flag wrong.

I suppose I should release a bug fix at some point. I have enough accumulated on my personal version at this point that it would be worth doing.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:35 AM #186 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Oh, so THAT'S what that story is about...

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:39 AM #187 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

"Sisyphus?" Lol, yes. There's a lot of ancient Greek and Roman stuff in Exodus, too, along with all the Biblical references. Nearly every scene, nearly every dialog, has some kind of reference to something from either the Old Testament or antiquity.

And yes, as you probably have figured out by where you are now, the snippets of conversations that you overhear as you approach the leaders of the expedition (Kass just outside of Vasskolis, speaking to Legare: "... a Darkling! He can't be trusted!" and Kass on the beach just south of Nakhtha, speaking to Legare and Pithoss: "... faith is wavering. We must act.") are small hints of what is to come.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:27 AM #188 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

A shorter episode here, as we spend some time speaking with our companions and find what our next goal is going to be.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:44 AM #189 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

I do admit epic massive group battles like these are still pretty awesome to behold... but every time it seems our allies all end up dying.

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:45 AM #190 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Random thoughts:

* If you want a timely response to a question — e.g., what are the prereqs for Blademaster — you'll get a faster response if you post your question here than if you mention it in the videos and wait about two weeks for people to see it.

* Just out of curiosity: a couple of episodes ago, you bought extra levels in Return Life, which you never use, as far as I can tell. Why?

* The person you couldn't remember in Thassaka was Ethass. She's with Legare in that room you couldn't get into. (Kass is also there.) Make of that what you will.

* I'm continually surprised at how your allies end up dying, but it seems to be because you fight these large battles — well, every battle, really — very differently from how I would. (One example: because of the combat slowdown, you don't need to be at 100% health all the time. So I'd have started this outdoor fight by getting buffs out on everyone immediately — Major Haste, then within two turns put Bless on all three of your melee fighters and also cast Radiant Shield. And obviously I would rely a lot less on Arcane Summon, even though it's not as nerfed in Exodus. And I would focus less on fighting enemy summons and more on the main enemies. And I would use Mass Healing to help the allies stay alive. And....)

* It looks as though you missed out on a special spell (Major Healing) by not keeping enough of your allies alive during that outdoor battle. If at least two survive, you get the special spell instead of the measly 50 coins.

* I am baffled at the fact that Inferno doesn't appear to use action points. There's a deduct_ap() call in the script in the right place. Now that I consult the docs, they say that it should only work in a creature script, but on Mac BoA, it works just fine where it is. If you're on Windows, maybe this is yet another difference between Mac BoA and Windows BoA. (An annoying one, if so.)

Looking forward to the Lava Ocean! Some of the plot points from early on begin to develop into something here.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:30 AM #191 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

We move our explorations onwards, and head into an enormous sea.  Of lava.  Oh the heat...

And I'll say here... I like the Lava Ocean too, but probably not for the reasons you're thinking of.

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:07 AM #192 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

View PostChessrook44, on 15 April 2017 - 03:30 AM, said:

And I'll say here... I like the Lava Ocean too, but probably not for the reasons you're thinking of.
Because the combats are relatively easy? Yeah, just wait. Dalaghant and the Berekh Hive are coming.

Just be glad I dramatically toned down the Berekh Hive during beta; the first person who beta tested it said that it took him four hours to get through the original version. Not because of reloading — he apparently didn't reload once. Because it was just that damned long.

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,537 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:25 AM #193 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

That Berekh Hive in the beta was one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had in BoA. It was more bearable once I turned off the sound though. That was the primary source of lag.

I just realized that was over 10 freaking years ago. I'm old.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:50 AM #194 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

I actually just finished the Berekh Hive last recording session (I'm skipping today's so I can narrow the backlog I have a little) so I know what you're referring to with that.  And it was frustrating after I recorded the episode.  You'll see what I mean...

Through the Fire and the Flame we clear out a cavern full of burning lizards.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:46 AM #195 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Curious how a little bit of water is surviving in the middle of this place, but hey, at least I find something to talk about.

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:32 AM #196 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Just FYI, Moses wandered for 40 years in the desert, not 40 days. The 40 days and 40 nights business was him hanging out on a mountain receiving the Ten Commandments (which was at the beginning of the exile).

The Lava Ocean sort of parallels the initial bit of wandering in the desert when everyone was starving. After that, God provided manna (what-is-it food, sort of) to the Jews so that they wouldn't starve, and the Jews built the tabernacle (a kind of mobile temple which housed the Ark of the Covenant). I assume that's more or less where you are now. I suppose I drift away from the source a bit after that; Leviticus isn't really represented at all, and Numbers is only sort of represented in the Peninsula Camp.

There is a lot of "sort of" in this description because I was going for similarity, not exactness; Exodus is meant to be reminiscent of the Old Testament but not precisely so. (In the same way that much of the setting is meant to be reminiscent of the periphery of the 5th century Roman Empire, but not precisely so.) The differences are in themselves intended to be interesting, for those who want to play that game.

Also, you've been wondering about Bonnie's Dexterity. As a nephil, she automatically gains Dexterity as she gains levels. And yes, those bonus points don't count toward the prereqs for special skills.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:40 AM #197 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

View PostKelandon, on 17 April 2017 - 06:32 AM, said:

Also, you've been wondering about Bonnie's Dexterity. As a nephil, she automatically gains Dexterity as she gains levels. And yes, those bonus points don't count toward the prereqs for special skills.
Thaaaaaaaaat explains it.  Thanks!

Further exploration of the Lava Sea, as we deal with even more lava lizards.  On we go!

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:37 AM #198 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Well I suppose if anyone could live in an ocean of lava, it would be him.

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:26 AM #199 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

In relation to your most recent commentary: I'm glad you like Exodus better, although it's worth noting that that was not the impression of the community at the time; Bahssikava took first place in the first BoA scenario design contest, and Exodus took last place in the second BoA scenario design contest. (This probably had something to do with the fact that Jeff judged the first contest and the community judged the second, but even so.)

But I actually prefer the more challenging combat of Bahssikava. I'm mostly fast-forwarding through your fights with the lava lizards because they're just not terribly interesting. There are a lot of things that I would do differently if I rebalanced the scenarios now, but making the combat easy throughout (which is what you apparently would prefer) is not one of them. That is, Exodus is not the way that it is because I thought that the way that Bahssikava was designed was a mistake; it's the way that it is because it's intended to be a different scenario. Lord Putidus (which came between Bahssikava and Exodus) also featured very difficult combat. This was just the way some of my scenarios were intended to be.

Put another way, Exodus was not a reaction against Bahssikava; Exodus was a reaction against the TM scenarios of the time (Canopy, Mad Ambition, Emerald Mountain).

Also, you're missing out on a lot of extras at this point. You missed a level of Destruction (and a number of custom items) in Velthkhogroz's cave, for example. Looking for more secret passages and exploring a bit more thoroughly would be beneficial. None of these things are necessary to complete the game, but they will make upcoming fights easier.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:40 AM #200 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

We head back to the expedition to send them further forward... but things are starting to get worrying...

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:37 AM #201 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Tensions simmering! Love it! And it only gets more tense from here!

You won't get Death Knell for a while, but yes, it targets only hostile NPCs.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:50 AM #202 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

A bit tricky in here, but those nagas aren't that rough.  Now the question is what is hidden beyond them.  A way out, perhaps?

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:59 AM #203 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Regarding the multiple slows: I just ran some tests, and apparently if you have a low enough level of slow combined with a high enough level of monster, the slowing doesn't really take effect. The slow succeeds, but the monster doesn't lose turns. (This is an undocumented feature, as far as I can tell.) I don't think I ever noticed this before, because I think I always had a much higher level of slow than you do. (This is probably poor design on my part — the HLPM sells a much, much higher level of slow at a comparable party level than do the merchants in Exodus.)

Regardless, my comment was spurred on by your casting slow three times, not twice, and I'm pretty sure that — even given what you're observing — there is no difference between two slows and three, except in how long the slow lasts (and none of these fights so far have been long enough for that to matter).

Also, blech, giving the archaic language a Slavic(-ish) accent sounds horrible. An old-timey English accent would make sense, but wtf with the Dracula voice. (I also can't stand the Machrone voice, but that's a separate issue.)

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:34 AM #204 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

View PostKelandon, on 21 April 2017 - 05:59 AM, said:

Also, blech, giving the archaic language a Slavic(-ish) accent sounds horrible. An old-timey English accent would make sense, but wtf with the Dracula voice. (I also can't stand the Machrone voice, but that's a separate issue.)
Regarding the first, I didn't intend to give the archaic language ANY kind of accent.  Though I may have accidentally slipped into my Vahnatai accent there a bit, which is intended to be Russian/slavic/foreign/something.  But that is entirely unintentional.
As for Machrone.... he is from the Empire.  And I've always given people from the Empire British accents, so that's the reason for that.

It seems those in the camp are getting more and more restless.  This is getting very concerning... and my frustration is beginning to rise again.  Kelandon you REALLY dropped the ball for this fight.  BADLY.

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:56 AM #205 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

You wondered about Bonnie surviving multiple blows after she was down to zero health. You did give her an item that adds a bunch to the chance of saving life, and if I remember correctly, she's the only one of your characters with a substantial amount of Luck. Between the two of those, Bonnie will have a decent chance of surviving a killing blow. (At the moment, nobody else does, but you could boost that by increasing Luck, which I strongly recommend.)

You also wondered what happens if you try to join with Dalaghant. There is actually an option to do that, but it ends the scenario prematurely (and gets really dark really quickly).

View PostChessrook44, on 22 April 2017 - 04:34 AM, said:

Regarding the first, I didn't intend to give the archaic language ANY kind of accent.  Though I may have accidentally slipped into my Vahnatai accent there a bit, which is intended to be Russian/slavic/foreign/something.  But that is entirely unintentional.
I mean the stuff that's translated from Archaic Slith (anything "older than the Khalthanad," e.g., Elin-Tel's note), which you're doing in your Slavic accent. It sounds atrocious, IMO. The writing simply doesn't match the accent.

It seems those in the camp are getting more and more restless.  This is getting very concerning...
It does appear that you went for my misdirection on Phaedra's baby! I'm enjoying that a great deal. Can't wait until the end of this chapter.

and my frustration is beginning to rise again.  Kelandon you REALLY dropped the ball for this fight.  BADLY.
In what way? You knew it was going to be a hard fight. You repeatedly used Arcane Summon, even though you know it doesn't work very well. You often fought enemy summons, despite knowing that that's ineffective. (Casting spells that primarily hurt the enemy summons, not the main enemies, counts as fighting the enemy summons.) You didn't use any of your special spells or consumables (except, toward the end, a Heroic Brew), despite knowing that they are effective. You didn't pay attention to status effects, even though status effects were what killed you in at least three of your reloads of the fight — which delayed your figuring out that everyone who gets close to the haakai gets paralyzed. It seems to me like you were the one who dropped the ball here.

The "everyone is paralyzed so you can't do anything" thing is default BoA behavior, by the way. That's not my scripting; that's just what BoA does.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:43 AM #206 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

View PostKelandon, on 22 April 2017 - 05:56 AM, said:

I mean the stuff that's translated from Archaic Slith (anything "older than the Khalthanad," e.g., Elin-Tel's note), which you're doing in your Slavic accent. It sounds atrocious, IMO. The writing simply doesn't match the accent.
My VAHNATAI accent.  In my LPs, I give people of different races/species different accents.  Elin-Tel is obviously a Vahnatai name, so I gave that note a vahnatai accent.  If the name was obviously slith, I would have spoken a bit differently with more hissing.  If you watched the other videos I do you'd see the other accents I kind of used.

View PostKelandon, on 22 April 2017 - 05:56 AM, said:

In what way? You knew it was going to be a hard fight. You repeatedly used Arcane Summon, even though you know it doesn't work very well. You often fought enemy summons, despite knowing that that's ineffective. (Casting spells that primarily hurt the enemy summons, not the main enemies, counts as fighting the enemy summons.) You didn't use any of your special spells or consumables (except, toward the end, a Heroic Brew), despite knowing that they are effective. You didn't pay attention to status effects, even though status effects were what killed you in at least three of your reloads of the fight — which delayed your figuring out that everyone who gets close to the haakai gets paralyzed. It seems to me like you were the one who dropped the ball here.

The "everyone is paralyzed so you can't do anything" thing is default BoA behavior, by the way. That's not my scripting; that's just what BoA does.
I go into a bit of a rant this episode explaining how you dropped the ball, however to sum up: The complete lack of information on the aura.  There is no audible, textual, or visual clues as to when the aura happens or when it comes from.  The characters just seem to randomly get paralyzed without any sort of known cause, thus making it look like it's just a bug, especially with the fact that on the turn it happens the character can still move but not attack.  There was no little bit of sound, no visual display, not even any information in the combat logs.  You didn't even include a little popup saying something like "The Haakai raises his arms, and suddenly you are struck by a fear so intense, you can't even move, paralyzed with fear.".  SOME form of information was required.

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:21 AM #207 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

View PostChessrook44, on 23 April 2017 - 03:43 AM, said:

My VAHNATAI accent.  In my LPs, I give people of different races/species different accents.  Elin-Tel is obviously a Vahnatai name, so I gave that note a vahnatai accent.  If the name was obviously slith, I would have spoken a bit differently with more hissing.  If you watched the other videos I do you'd see the other accents I kind of used.
I'm aware that you have your reasons. But, even being consistent with your earlier episodes, you don't have to read it in the Slavic accent; anything "older than the Khalthanad" is a thousand years older than the vahnatai you've voiced before, and accents change over time. And I think that reading more or less baroque English in a vaguely Slavic accent sounds awful here.

View PostChessrook44, on 23 April 2017 - 03:43 AM, said:

I go into a bit of a rant this episode explaining how you dropped the ball, however to sum up: The complete lack of information on the aura.
Eh, that probably would've been helpful. I don't think it's "required" (as you put it), though; after all, once you started paying attention to statuses, you figured it out within a reload or two! That's exactly what's supposed to happen. (EDIT: But see below.)

As you probably have figured out by now — especially after the Dalaghant fight following the Berekh Hive — this script, Status Nearby, shows up again. Be on the lookout later in the scenario (especially in the Peninsula Camp sequence).

Also, most of your combat issues throughout Bahssikava and Exodus would be reduced if you weren't overly dependent on melee. You really should experiment with the special spells more. Toss a couple Bind Foe spells on the haakai, and poof; he's webbed and can't do anything. And maybe have one or two characters use archery, since Silthokh sells arrows now.

Finally, you mention not having found many energy potions in dungeons, which is true, but Silthokh sells a ton of energy potions. Buy as many as you need from him.

EDIT: Because I was curious, I dug in the Status Nearby code, and holy hell, there is a bug, apparently caused by a BoA update after I released Exodus. Here's a patch. Download the file and put it into the Exodus folder, replacing the old file. That should restore the original behavior before the BoA update broke it. It's a good idea to update because, as I mentioned, there are several more monsters using Status Nearby that appear later in the game, past even where you probably are now.

Gory details in the spoiler tags.

Spoiler

Dintiradan Dintiradan

Eye of Argon

• Member ID: 4,273
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:27 PM #208 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

All this is messing with my headcanon of Vahnatai sounding like Cockney English and Archaic Slith sounding like Jamaican Patois.
^<@<: Pronounced exactly as it's spelt.
Design Tutorial (incomplete) | The Metagame | AIMhack Crack Pairings
Artemis (Planning Thread)
Last ten games. What have you been playing lately?

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,612 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:05 AM #209 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Appreciate the quick patch.  I tossed it into the files, and you'll see the results when I hit the end of my backlog in about 9 episodes.

More frustration, as these demons are indeed QUITE annoying and frustrating to deal with.  Oh goodie.

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:19 AM #210 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Three things struck me during that demon fight in the southeast:

1) That fight is not intended to be especially hard. You're just not using any special spells. Toss out a couple Bind Foe spells to web a few demons in place, hit them with a bunch of Bonechill spells to do huge amounts of damage, and they pretty much die immediately. For your sake, I hope you figure out special spells pretty soon in these episodes.

2) You're using Draco as a melee fighter, but you're not blessing him the way do with your other melee fighters. Why not? It seems weird.

3) It sort of looked like partial magic resistance has two effects on Slow: the spell may be resisted entirely (which shows up in the text box) and the spell renders a lower level of the status (which does not). I'm going to run some experiments tonight to see if that's so; I don't think I've ever noticed that before.

Totally separately, you keep saying that the note said not to trust Vylas. That's wrong. The note said not to trust the silver-tongued demon (i.e., Dalaghant). Vylas is looooong dead.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lets Play, Blades of Avernum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users