We avoided talking about it long enough. Let's talk about the Presence (GF5)

alhoon

What do you guys think about the Presence in the opening of GF5? When I started playing, I thought that would be the big theme of GF5 or something. What could literally make or break the Rebellion once it became more conscious or procreated or moved away.

Do we ever find out how it started? Which Litalia\Moseh loonatic\visionary made it? Or if it was really an accident? On the surface, it's a weapon I would totally want the Rebellion to get. Giving conscience to creations, break their bonds to the Shapers.

Of course, it could very well backfire. But it's IMO half the point of the Rebellion. I really wish there was a faction that went for the Presence and released it in Shaper forts. Not cities, mind you, forts.

That could well have led to an apocalypse. It could also have led to serviles breaking their chains.

What do you guys think about the probably greatest invention in the GF series, surpassing in power and potential even the GForges?

True. The name was a bit silly. I suppose mostly cause it was attached to a fiora. And im like. "Ha!"

Besides the rebels have a similar thing already(more powerful and controlable even ). You really should finish up with g3.

In any case geneforge 5 had way too much wierd stuff going around that the presence is only felt literarily if you only play the demo. It screams of small town urban myth/low budget horror flick. Could work sure but only in a limited space(it follows sorta broke those chains so... Maybe if the presence was something you ran from but can't trully defeat just yet. Like in prince of persia warrior within). Plus again. With pondlings and weird muscle brains with legs. And shredbugs and purity agent etc... The presence is forgettable. And its impact limited to the foundry core. It lacks depth, it lacks personality, lack background, lacks power and influence, lacks originality, lacks relevance. Doesn't lack potential. But its made as a nonplot gateway to the real story, and like the rest of g5 origin story. It was lacking.

Use the corruption as reference. And the corruption itself didn't reach its full potential.

I have no idea what the corruption is.

It's even better if the presence (yeah, silly name) is localized! You can throw it on Beta Core or Gama Core or Delta Core (we all know Alwan will keep those going) without fear it would spread everywhere and become the Agent Smith of Geneforge. It could also weaken a fort or two, or cause disruption behind enemy lines (yes, the last is terrorism. You all know that Rebels are not above that).

I do have a theory on the origin and creator of the presence, in the ovekano the disposal vault. The presence said it was made by a mighty creation (A drakon) and took it's mind, following what it said it wandered really far to get to the foundary. I might

be wrong for all we know but i think the disposal vault was ground zero for the presence and the drakon inside was it's creator

Okavano is west of borrowood province. Where you find a mindless drakon and a shaper's soul inside a golem called matala. There is also a shaper fort there where you're told to save some rebels.

That being said. It is heavily implied that matala was the one that broke the drakon.

However G3 spoiler:

it is said litalia made a strong shade to cloud and eat away general greiner's mind. A process that was long and slow as for him to only suspect tiredness. Given enough time the shade would completely control greiner. Who was a great general and one of the most powerful shapers in g3. It is possible that the presence is a failed attempt to replicate that.

I didn't read the spoiler but: I think I recall the golem now. It was an interesting dungeon... but I don't recall the drakon.

That could really have been put in or to the test. Drayks, yes, Drayks, or evil human rebels could be the ones abusing drakons for once, kidnapping them, and turning them to the Presence in order to hit Shapers behind the lines.

One thing we haven't seen in the games, is another rebel party abusing Drakons. Even if it is creating them just as expendable creations (like they do with Drayks).

I wouldn't be surprised if the Drakons were working on this in the shredbug facility, and only started working on that after the Presence failed to be controlled.

I would say that the Presence really only makes sense in the Mera Tev / Okavano Fen, otherwise it simply doesn't make sense how it would make it to the Foundry.