We avoided talking about it long enough. Let's talk about the Presence (GF5)

GF5 presence

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic
alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• Member ID: 16,946
  • 684 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:06 PM #1 We avoided talking about it long enough. Let's talk about the Presence (GF5)

What do you guys think about the Presence in the opening of GF5? When I started playing, I thought that would be the big theme of GF5 or something. What could literally make or break the Rebellion once it became more conscious or procreated or moved away.

Do we ever find out how it started? Which Litalia\Moseh loonatic\visionary made it? Or if it was really an accident? On the surface, it's a weapon I would totally want the Rebellion to get. Giving conscience to creations, break their bonds to the Shapers.
Of course, it could very well backfire. But it's IMO half the point of the Rebellion. I really wish there was a faction that went for the Presence and released it in Shaper forts. Not cities, mind you, forts.
That could well have led to an apocalypse. It could also have led to serviles breaking their chains.

What do you guys think about the probably greatest invention in the GF series, surpassing in power and potential even the GForges?
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia

GF5 mod with extra quest chain here!  Discover who you are and set up your base.

"Ohhh, no! No, it's so close! So close!" - Blxz, ambushed by an Unbound

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 12,853
  • 410 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:50 AM #2 We avoided talking about it long enough. Let's talk about the Presence (GF5)

I think it's name was annoying and silly sounding. If I didn't have to read it in my LP I would have just glossed over the text.

Owenmoz Owenmoz

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 17,190
  • 459 posts
  • LocationNairobi, Kenya

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:23 AM #3 We avoided talking about it long enough. Let's talk about the Presence (GF5)

True. The name was a bit silly. I suppose mostly cause it was attached to a fiora. And im like. "Ha!"
Besides the  rebels have a similar thing already(more powerful and controlable even ). You really should finish up with g3.
In any case geneforge 5 had way too much wierd stuff going around that the presence is only felt literarily if you only play the demo. It screams of small town urban myth/low budget horror flick. Could work sure but only in a limited space(it follows sorta broke those chains so... Maybe if the presence was something you ran from but can't trully defeat just yet. Like in prince of persia warrior within). Plus again. With pondlings and weird muscle brains with legs. And shredbugs and purity agent etc... The presence is forgettable. And its impact limited to the foundry core. It lacks depth, it lacks personality, lack background, lacks power and influence, lacks originality, lacks relevance. Doesn't lack potential. But its made as a nonplot gateway to the real story, and like the rest of g5 origin story. It was lacking.

Use the corruption as reference. And the corruption itself didn't reach its full potential.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:29 AM #4 We avoided talking about it long enough. Let's talk about the Presence (GF5)

I have no idea what the corruption is.
It's even better if the presence (yeah, silly name) is localized! You can throw it on Beta Core or Gama Core or Delta Core (we all know Alwan will keep those going) without fear it would spread everywhere and become the Agent Smith of Geneforge. It could also weaken a fort or two, or cause disruption behind enemy lines (yes, the last is terrorism. You all know that Rebels are not above that).

GF5 mod with extra quest chain here!  Discover who you are and set up your base.

Purplepithon Purplepithon

New Arrival

• Member ID: 18,713
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:13 AM #5 We avoided talking about it long enough. Let's talk about the Presence (GF5)

I do have a theory on the origin and creator of the presence, in the ovekano the disposal vault. The presence said it was made by a mighty creation (A drakon) and took it's mind, following what it said it wandered really far to get to the foundary. I might
be wrong for all we know but i think the disposal vault was ground zero for the presence and the drakon inside was it's creator

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:00 PM #6 We avoided talking about it long enough. Let's talk about the Presence (GF5)

The name sounds familiar, but I don't recall where the Okavano was. Wasn't it a swamp?

Owenmoz Owenmoz

Shadowwalker

• 459 posts
  • LocationNairobi, Kenya

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:07 PM #7 We avoided talking about it long enough. Let's talk about the Presence (GF5)

Okavano is west of borrowood province. Where you find a mindless drakon and a shaper's soul inside a golem called matala. There is also a shaper fort there where you're told to save some rebels.

That being said. It is heavily implied that matala was the one that broke the drakon.
However G3 spoiler:
Spoiler

New Arrival

• 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:58 PM #8 We avoided talking about it long enough. Let's talk about the Presence (GF5)

That there sounds like it might be true, as for the drakon i'm referring to the one inside the bonus dungeon in geneforge 5.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:16 PM #9 We avoided talking about it long enough. Let's talk about the Presence (GF5)

I didn't read the spoiler but: I think I recall the golem now. It was an interesting dungeon... but I don't recall the drakon.

That could really have been put in or to the test. Drayks, yes, Drayks, or evil human rebels could be the ones abusing drakons for once, kidnapping them, and turning them to the Presence in order to hit Shapers behind the lines.
One thing we haven't seen in the games, is another rebel party abusing Drakons. Even if it is creating them just as expendable creations (like they do with Drayks).

Owenmoz Owenmoz

Shadowwalker

• 459 posts
  • LocationNairobi, Kenya

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:20 PM #10 We avoided talking about it long enough. Let's talk about the Presence (GF5)

Ah. If i remember correctly he wasn't mindless. Just mad. Trapped there as a punishment of sorts. For exactly what im not sure.

New Arrival

• 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:42 PM #11 We avoided talking about it long enough. Let's talk about the Presence (GF5)

My opinion, creator of the presence locked away in the disposal vault.

Goldengirl Goldengirl

Eye of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,001
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:04 PM #12 We avoided talking about it long enough. Let's talk about the Presence (GF5)

I wouldn't be surprised if the Drakons were working on this in the shredbug facility, and only started working on that after the Presence failed to be controlled.

I would say that the Presence really only makes sense in the Mera Tev / Okavano Fen, otherwise it simply doesn't make sense how it would make it to the Foundry.
"Never say anything to anyone that you wouldn't want them to not feel bad about telling someone else about if they said it to someone they cared about as much as they care about you not knowing who they are, because at the end of the first day of the rest of your life, you're going to have to look twice at yourself in the mirror and still be able to sleep through the alarm in the morning after." - Student of Trinity
"I think the ultimate irony, and perhaps insult, would be for bad adventurers to reincarnate as town guards." - Slarty
"Look at me, I can't even be bothered to write my own message! I am truly the more optimal spammer!" - Nikki

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GF5, presence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users