Tyranny

Blxz

Anyone played Tyranny? Broadly similar to the genre Spiderweb writes for.

Just finished it myself after a solid 44 hours (according to steam). One of the better games I've played in my life. The moral ambiguity is nice and the ending I got was very satisfying AND left me wanting more from a second playthrough and a different angle. I don't feel like I've touched the entire game yet.

Anyone else given this game a shot?

I've heard really good things about the game, but as it only came out a week ago, I haven't played it yet (mainly because I'm too cheap & am waiting a while for it to drop in price/go on sale). The most common complaint that I'm seeing though is that it's too short (for a single play through anyway).

But whatever, it's certainly on my 'someday to buy/play' list. Thanks also for the confirmation that it will be a game I'll enjoy (in it's broad similarity to SW games).

Yeah, I've heard a few people say it is too short. Some people said they did it in 8 hours. I find this hard to believe. I'm not a slow reader, I'm lazy to the point that I won't go back to old areas and revisit them and I dislike micromanaging battles so tend to waltz through on fast speed and hope the AI is smart enough to use its abilities; despite this I still took 44 hours (according to steam time) to finish one play through with every side quest I could find (and I know I missed one in the first region since I found it on my second playthrough).

So yeah, I suppose if you power-played you could do the main story in 8 hours...maybe. But I don't think it is too short at all, Geneforge 5 took me almost the same length of time. And every second of this game was a joy.

The main gripe I have for it is its structure. It tries to emulate FNV with the freedom of how to do your version of the MQ. It either results in funky dialogue or straight up breaking your game.

Combat is more fluid and fun than PoE(probably because I hate Vancian magic). The story is tighter, more engaging. PoE felt indifferent of you and the writing feels cold most of the time. It's well-done but it doesn't really draw you in.

I didn't notice any funky dialogue. Perhaps I'm not imaginative enough to break the story sequence enough?

Although I was a little disappointed on my first playthrough where I had been loyal to the VoN the whole time and yet still wanted to eat me by games end. Perhaps I didn't handle that very well.

Some advice; don't hire me as a beta tester. I almost never run into bugs. (is this a good thing?)

On the flipside, if you expect that the various skills are going to be useful you will find they almost never become an issue. The only skillcheck that is mildly difficult is the 47 subterfuge check in the chorus camp at game start. Can be finished with careful planning before you even leave that screen. Can be finished with bad planning within the next two or three screens. If you can't pass checks from then on then you have some serious character design problems.

Maybe Jeff sucks at playing games? :)